Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England fan sacked

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Personally, I think you should make allowances for one offs like this. I would rather give people the time because they'll make it up or give it back whenever they can. The people who don't enjoy football will cover and you can do something for them one week in return so everyone benefits.

I really don't think managing people is all that difficult when it comes to things like this - you know your people. If you've got someone who's into their football, accomodate one offs in return for making the time up somewhere else. If you've got someone who's fanatic about a book series and is going to be camping outside Waterstones to read it first thing on a Friday morning, give them the day off and get the hours back elsewhere. Keeps everyone happy.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If the employee is valued the day gets treated as annual leave and they get a strong word.

However, if the employee is mediocre they get the sack.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
If the employee is valued the day gets treated as annual leave and they get a strong word.

However, if the employee is mediocre they get the sack.

Absolutely - there is no way in a million years that a valued employee would be sacked for that. She's not only lost her job, she's alerted the whole world to her mediocrity!

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Her job seems to be highly football-related anyway so probably quite harsh!

https://www.linkedin.com/in/ninafarooqi/?originalSubdomain=uk

Interesting. Maybe also adds to why they were able to terminated the employment so quickly. Looks like she was 5 months in so could easily still be in probation?

However - there has to be more to this story than just taking this one day off surely? I would never let a good and valued member of my team leave just for pulling a sickie.There must be some history or a deadline/contract missed as a result of all this otherwise it is a total over reaction and a bit mental

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Personally, I think you should make allowances for one offs like this. I would rather give people the time because they'll make it up or give it back whenever they can. The people who don't enjoy football will cover and you can do something for them one week in return so everyone benefits.

I really don't think managing people is all that difficult when it comes to things like this - you know your people. If you've got someone who's into their football, accomodate one offs in return for making the time up somewhere else. If you've got someone who's fanatic about a book series and is going to be camping outside Waterstones to read it first thing on a Friday morning, give them the day off and get the hours back elsewhere. Keeps everyone happy.

As an employer (or rather in my case as a manager) the attitude you describe is absolutely spot on. But it does rely on honesty from your team, in return.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
As an employer (or rather in my case as a manager) the attitude you describe is absolutely spot on. But it does rely on honesty from your team, in return.

I'll be honest, I've only briefly been responsible for a team and it was in the mid-90s for a few years. We had some time sensitive deliveries to pack during Euro 96 and some of the boys wanted to be out good and early to enjoy the matches. Our busy day was usually a Thursday after getting a load of deliveries on the wednesday. We had a group chat about it, the Managing Director told me and my fellow Duty Manager that he wasn't interested what hours anyone worked, he just wanted the flow to be maintained. So in exchange for a relative half day on the Friday, we all stayed late on the Wednesday to sort the delivery and get a few of the orders ready for the Thursday. We were then in early on the Thursday getting the orders ready to go, all the paperwork done and when the delivery drivers started arriving we got them loaded and turned around in record time. It was a real team effort and in the end, Friday was only really a brief admin day and the MD got some burgers and cans about midday, we all tucked in and were gone about 1ish. I think you're totally right - you need the honesty and you need everyone to pull their weight. We had one slightly snidey fella who could generally be relied on to be the weakest link but even he bought into it.

I think so much as anything else, mixing up the working week a bit does people good from time to time. Sorry, I digressed and went on a bit, very fond memories of the best working time in my life. A few of those boys aren't with us anymore and the company is gone as well.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

Accommodate as in - in advance. Yes, definitely. If she had asked, quite likely would have been given time off, or rearranged as you say. But to pretend you're sick and then go the football is just asking for trouble really.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Why on earth didn't she just ask? Most employers would allow a day off their annual leave allowance for a special occasion. Honesty pays.

This. It wouldn't be the missing a day of work that was the issue it would have been the lying about being sick. This shows a degree of dishonesty and undermines everyone who is genuinely ill and needs time off (especially as we have been in the midst of a pandemic, sick leave has impacted lots of businesses - even now we are reducing opening hours for our Manchester based call centre because of it).

As a manager, I'd have given her the day if she was honest upfront and if she had been any good, a written warning for lying when caught out. I'd have only gone 'gross misconduct' if it was a handy way of getting rid of an underperformer. Just saying!

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
The good news is that she doesn't have to suffer a celebratory hangover at work on Monday morning.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Im guessing the company were looking for an opportunity to get rid of her for whatever reason and jumped on this.

If they are giving staff Monday morning off due to the football then they are a decent employer.

If I had a valued member of staff that did this

a) I would want to retain them regardless and I'd give them a warning to save face if required
b) but would have expected a decent loyal person to have called me first anyway.

The fact that it is in the news frankly shows shes a bitch

This is my assumption whenever I read I story like this. It's almost impossible to get sacked for being useless at your job, and I've worked with plenty of people that treat sick leave like an extra 20 days holiday a year - the employer know this but it's usually very hard to prove otherwise. My money is this woman being one of those types.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I believe if she was truly smart she would have created a bomb threat using an unsuspecting mate who thought they were doing a good deed (maybe leaving a fake note for the mate to discover) and the company would have to send all the employees home. No sickie needed. She is just an enterprising woman during a stressful situation at the company.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
'Nina also works as a freelance photographer and video producer in the men's club game and the Women's Super League.
She said her friends in women's football in particular have supported her since she was sacked, and have found new freelance work for her.'

Not sure about 'employer', it sounds more like a client of hers has let her go from a freelance position or contract, which it is fully entitled to do.

That makes it far less of a story – happens all the time :shrug:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
'Nina also works as a freelance photographer and video producer in the men's club game and the Women's Super League.
She said her friends in women's football in particular have supported her since she was sacked, and have found new freelance work for her.'

Not sure about 'employer', it sounds more like a client of hers has let her go from a freelance position or contract, which it is fully entitled to do.

Don't think that is the case. Sounds like this was her mundane day job (its a flooring company) that paid the bills while she dabbled at being involved in football media.

Clearly she wasn't very committed to the proper job, and I'm glad for them that she gave them a reason to get shot.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

And how did the story get to the media anyway. Is this all a good marketing tool for freelance work in the football world??

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
This is my assumption whenever I read I story like this. It's almost impossible to get sacked for being useless at your job, and I've worked with plenty of people that treat sick leave like an extra 20 days holiday a year - the employer know this but it's usually very hard to prove otherwise. My money is this woman being one of those types.

I honestly thought you were going to say "and I should know as I've been stealing a living for years" or something as funny. :jester:

I even had a premature lol.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Don't think that is the case. Sounds like this was her mundane day job (its a flooring company) that paid the bills while she dabbled at being involved in football media.

Clearly she wasn't very committed to the proper job, and I'm glad for them that she gave them a reason to get shot.

Maybe, but then she's listed three other current freelance outlets, so who knows how much work she did – or wanted to do – with Composite Prime?

Zero sympathy with her though, I'm afraid.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Why on earth didn't she just ask? Most employers would allow a day off their annual leave allowance for a special occasion. Honesty pays.

"Please Mr Clough, may I extend my loan at Brighton for a few more weeks because we have just got to the FA cup final." . . . . . .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here