Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England debrief, most and least impressed by

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
most impressed by Johnson. i've alwasy knocked him as a right back who's shit at defending, but he's been pretty decent all 4 games.

Oxlade looked good too and Walcott demostrated what he's about - when given the chance. Welbeck was decent and his goal was sublime.

Least impressed by Young. whats he done other than one run in the first game. utter waste of space, offers little defensivly and not provided anything like the width or pace he should of going forward. should have been dropped for Oxlade.

not too impressed by Rooney either, near his peak with a rest should really have been firing on all cylinders but looked off the pace.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Johnson was the England MOM for me.

Adsgull

Feb 27, 2012
Southwick
Johnson was class even with that lump Milner in front of him. Cole was top aswell we were let down by unbelievably poor starting wingers and a failure to close down pirlo who made everyone else look poor

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
As soon as Gerrard's legs went we looked shit. Simply nowhere near Europe's finest teams. FIFA world ranking of 7 is a joke.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Young was shocking offensively in all four games, but he does track back a lot better than Walcott or Chamberlain. The back four were generally very good; Lescott, Johnson, Gerrard & Parker the stand-outs.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Most impressed with Carroll, Gerrard, the back 4 and Hart.

Least impressed with Rooney, Young.

Milner is what he is and does what he does so neither impressed nor disappointed.

I do however feel pretty positive about England over the next few years.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Positives:

Very good defensively, solid at the back.
Younger players are looking very good, and coming from good passing teams, arsenal (walcott, the ox) man u (welbeck) etc [still to see how phil jones et al perform at international level.]
Players looked extremely passionate (apart from ashley young who can f*** off tbh), for the first time in a long time.

Negatives:

Still shit at penalties
Negative going forward, still looking for the long ball most of the time.
'star' rooney gets an automatic starting place despite being not match fit, extremely rusty and utter shit.

All in all... it balances out. I think the next tournament (if we qualify) if we get rid of some of the deadwood and start playing positively, we'll get to the quarters again.

We will never, ever, win a penalty shootout. Ever

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Best was Gerrard and Johnson
Worst was Rooney who, for an experienced England player and so-called world class player, was utterly awful tonight and not much better in the one other game he wasn't banned from.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I don't like Johnson or Terry that much, but to be fair they were both immense tonight.

I don't know what happened to our midfield after half-time, they spent 75 minutes just watching the ball, it never stuck up front and we couldn't keep it anywhere for more than two passes. Rooney and Gerrard didn't have good games going forward, we missed them tonight. To be fair to Gerrard he has been superb in the other three games, but he wasn't at that level tonight.

Hodgson's devotion to Milner is baffling, and Young is there to do damage in this kind of game. He didn't.

All in all, it's amazing it went as far as penalties.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don't like Johnson or Terry that much, but to be fair they were both immense tonight.

I don't know what happened to our midfield after half-time, they spent 75 minutes just watching the ball, it never stuck up front and we couldn't keep it anywhere for more than two passes. Rooney and Gerrard didn't have good games going forward, we missed them tonight.

Hodgson's devotion to Milner is baffling, and Young is there to do damage in this kind of game. He didn't.

All in all, it's amazing it went as far as penalties.

And why did they just stand and watch that Pirlo bloke?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Milner is what he is and does what he does so neither impressed nor disappointed.

exactly, people judge him harshly then bemoan others who go for glory. the same goes for Gerrard, he was good as i expect him to be, but didnt step up more.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
as much as it pains me to say it... John Terry had a very good tournement. Not spectacular, but rock-solid. Made some fantastic tackles, especially in the game just gone.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Ok its a bit embarrassing to get knocked out yet again on penalties but I am happy that we have been spared a spanking by the Germans. On the whole we have performed about how I hoped but not on a par with the best teams. We are rebuilding under Hodgson and hope that Oxo-Chamberlain, Walcott, Welbeck, Cahill, Jones, Cleverley, Jagielka, Lescott and other youngsters get a decent go now rather than just cameos. I would persevere with Hart as he is young although he didn't quite live up to the hype for me, especially on the penalties.

The main worry is our lack of world class players who frighten the opposition, something the FA needs to sort out by capping the numbers of foreign players in the Prem. Not enough young English players at the highest level. But will the new TV money just create another spending spree rather than give any incentive for playing young home grown players?

Finally, how ironic that one of our best players at the Euros was John Terry yet many would not have taken him because of his baggage. I'm not a fan of him as a person but have to admit he was immense for England. Maybe he knows this was probably his last chance at this level.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Positives - Back 5

Negatives - Rooney, Young and Milner.

Walcott again promised much and didn't deliver, but I don't think the way we played really helped him.

We lack a real true World class player who can affect a game, Portugal are an example of a average side who with a world class player can be successful

The Hon Sec

Feb 23, 2009
Deep up County
Embarrassing tonight. Having got used to watching my team playing possession football on the ground it was difficult to watch Hart continually lump the ball up front and give it back to the opposition. Poyet has been educating me obviously. Most England players did their best but not good enough. Some promising young lads though with more to come.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here