Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England call-ups 2015-16 U21 level and down, by club - Brighton in top ten

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Great for the youngsters, but its all engineering and lazy scouting.

I nod and wink from a Chelsea coach fast tracks their unseen striker a phone-call from a previous colleague allows a pathway for a youngster to be seen at a loaded trial.

Hardly any real scouting from England, they will tell you otherwise, it seems we happen to have a few well positioned coaches at present and our recent representation in national teams reflects this.

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Great for the youngsters, but its all engineering and lazy scouting.

I nod and wink from a Chelsea coach fast tracks their unseen striker a phone-call from a previous colleague allows a pathway for a youngster to be seen at a loaded trial.

Hardly any real scouting from England, they will tell you otherwise, it seems we happen to have a few well positioned coaches at present and our recent representation in national teams reflects this.

At the younger age groups, there is a lot in what you say. Its a fact that some smaller clubs will actively hide their best youngsters from International recognition, for fear of them getting noticed and poached - certainly below scholarship level.

Once you get up to U21 though players are picked on their merits.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
At the younger age groups, there is a lot in what you say. Its a fact that some smaller clubs will actively hide their best youngsters from International recognition, for fear of them getting noticed and poached - certainly below scholarship level.

Once you get up to U21 though players are picked on their merits.

I agree, I guess any player getting regular first team football within the Championship, certainly Premiership and even League one would be considered for Under 21's for their countries.

My point was more on the lower age groups which incidentally could well effect decisions upstream anyway, for that player and his team mates, so should really be done better.

We seem to have found us a bunch of Irish, Icelandic and Welsh internationals in our academy, its all good and offers Brighton youngsters a chance, but it isnt real life if you look at it closely.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Sorry but I disagree. Certainly second to Chelsea, Southampton, Middlesbrough, Everton, Liverpool, Arsenal, Palace...in fact second to most teams. I've said it before but I think when people praise Man U youth development they are letting that wonder-side of 93 cloud your judgement. Yes, 22 years ago Man U's youth squad was superb but that was early on with the Sky money. Since then, every superstar they've ever had has been bought. I'm trying to think of 1 England regular that came through their ranks since that side. Welbeck - yep, Wes Brown? nope - he's mainly played friendlies. Any others?

United have had a homegrown player in every first-team matchday squad since October 1937 - that isn't a typo, it really is since October 1937. At the last count, that is 3,750 consecutive first-team games with a youth player in the squad. In the Fifties they developed the likes of Duncan Edwards, Bobby Charlton and Eddie Colman; in the Sixties they had the likes of David Sadler, Nobby Stiles, Brian Kidd and Johnny Aston come through. Then, of course, in the early Nineties the "kids" that everyone knows about.

I think my statement that "United's history of developing their own talent is second-to-none" is accurate and proven (over the course of more than 70 seasons, not just the last decade).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here