Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] England call up - who?

Who will be the next Brighton player to make the senior England squad?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I think people are looking at this the wrong way round. We're looking at who's playing well rather than where the gaps are. Lamptey has at least five players in front of him, so it's looking tough for him. Similarly, no matter how well our CBs play, there are plenty more to choose from (even if half Southgate's picks are pony).

I said Sanchez because, if I can count correctly, there are only five other England qualified goalies playing regularly in the PL: two of them play for the bottom two teams and one picked the ball out of the net nine times this week. Southgate has to pick three per squad and doesn't exactly have an abundance of choice.

peterward

NSC Patreon
Nov 11, 2009
While we are still basking in 3 wins and 4 clean sheets, I'd like to ask who, if anyone - let's be realistic, we are just little 'ole Brighton, and Southgate only picks players who are in form (for their top six club) - will be the first to be called up to the full England squad (to be an unused substitute and never selected again, obviously). Poll to follow.

Big Bobby Sanchez! Lure him in, get him on for 1 competitive game......

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I would love it to be Dunk.

Back to his best after a dodgy start to the season (perhaps the talk of a move Chelsea did unsettle him?)

He's FAR better than Mings or Dier - to be fair Keane is having a good season.

It won't be Lamptey as there are too many in front of him in that position.

White WILL play for England but this summer is too soon for him.

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I don't want any of our players on duty for England thanks. it all seems a bit pointless Int football at the moment, and we can ill aoofrd to lose more players given our broken list.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Condescending Southgate will call Webster up for a squad or two, leave him sitting on the bench for a couple of games then forget him. He's got past form for this tactic.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
It’s Southgate, Eric Dier and Mings will probably play despite the fact there’s other English centre halves in much better form. (Stones, Webster, Tarkowski)

Not one person can tell me Southgate picks players on form like he used to claim, he has his favourites and when England crash and burn to the first good team we play at the Euros, hopefully he’ll be gone.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Couldn't Lamptey still end up with Ghana? Seems proud of his heritage. I wouldn't be surprised if Southgate called him up just to stop this happening though.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I don't think anyone new will enter the picture now, not with the euros in the summer, and that's how it should be. Certainly in central defence. Don't go to a major tournament with players that haven't built up an understanding.

Next year may well be different, although White and /or Webster may not be Brighton players then

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
I do look the enthusiasm and patriosm towards England but I think Sanchez may also have a strong path to the Spanish keeper role - apart from De Gea I’m not sure the Spanish strength is that great (Kepi at Chelsea is their number two and I don’t know how strong Simon is) and it’s not like 15 years ago when he would be fighting through a Valdez or Reina to take Cassillias shirt

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Southgate won't pick anyone from Brighton except maybe Lamptey in a couple of years time because he's been in "the system" at under 21 level. He only picked Dunk because he had injuries and there was a groundswell from the media so he threw them a bone and then forgot about him.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Southgate would pick Henderson as centre back before Webster

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
None of them. Our defence at the Euros will have Minge and Dire in it despite their inabilities

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
None please don't want them getting tapped up or spoilt or injured....

Tempting to think like that.

But

A) We need young players to see coming to Brighton as a pathway to international honours
B) Let's not be selfish here. These players are giving their all for our club. We should be happy for them and proud of them when they get the call up their efforts deserve.

The likes of Solly and Webby and Lamptey .. and yes Lewis Dunk should be able to dream of holding that world cup. That's what i'd be dreaming if I was them

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
To be honest, Southgate doesn’t deserve our players.

- Dunk should have had way more caps.
- Webster should have been called up already
- Ditto Ben White
- Ditto Solly
- Ditto Lamptey (yes I know there’s competition, but not in a squad for a friendly?)

Ask yourselves. Would you honestly swap any of the above for Mings / Keane / Trippier?

The hard truth is, if all the above played for Spurs, Chelsea, Man Utd, they’d have been called up by now. Southgate “picks on form”? a complete lie.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Get Bobby Sanchez on the poll before Spain pick him.

He only came in to the Brighton side a few short games ago, has very little Premier League experience, and already you think he is ready to play for England? Oh please!

Of those named in the poll l'd say that Ben White probably has the best chance, perhaps Tariq Lamptey could be England material too if he continues playing well after returning from injury.

The other player l'll mention is Lewis Dunk, who for my money should already have earned more England call ups than the solitary one against the United States in a meaningless friendly.

Last edited:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
He only came in to the Brighton side a few short games ago, has very little Premier League experience, and already you think he is ready to play for England? Oh please!

Of those named in the poll l'd say that Ben White probably has the best chance, perhaps Tariq Lamptey could be England material too if he continues playing well after returning from injury.

The other player l'll mention is Lewis Dunk, who for my money should already have earned more England call ups than the solitary one against the United States in a meaningless friendly.

Other players who have hardly played at the top level have been picked.
Picking him and playing him, would tie him to England
We're not exactly overloaded with quality keepers.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here