Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England Band In Qatar

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Seems pointless, all they’ll get from the band is the same three bits of information repeated over and over again.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Urgh… I have a very bad feeling England might win this thing just to spite me. Would be typical for them to pick up a title so tainted.
Yip. I have a flight booked the day and time of the final. Nailed on to win it now.

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
That band has single-handedly destroyed the atmosphere at England games over the last couple of decades. England games sound more like a friggin circus than a football match, I hate them with a passion! I think it’s outrageous they get free tickets, free travel and free accommodation, that just encourages them to do it even more!

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
The people ‘sponsored’ by the Qatar authorities are also being encouraged to record/film any so called anti social behaviour by other fans. Hope anyone who does gets a boot up their arse.
I don't think anyone needs to be encouraged to film anything do they?
The tiniest little thing these days, and there's scores of people round with phones filming. Or do they mean filming and then grassing to the authorities?

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
This world cup is just horrible on many levels.

One of them is whilst I’m no great lover of international football these days anyway, I’m sad for my boys and other kids around their age. I fell in love with football watching Italia 90 at the age of 8. The memories of tournaments when you’re young live with you yet this one will always be tainted.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I don't think anyone needs to be encouraged to film anything do they?
The tiniest little thing these days, and there's scores of people round with phones filming. Or do they mean filming and then grassing to the authorities?
That is EXACTLY what they want, not only normal football issues but criticism of the regime too.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Never liked the England band but they obviously like a freeebie, not really interested in this World Cup.

Saw this in the replies to the Tweet in the opening post :lolol:

The FA have always looked after the band with guaranteeing tickets to qualifiers etc. They give the band tickets to all games and they are there to drown out any songs the FA don’t like…

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Do they have to pay twice for Bernie Clifton? Or just excess luggage for the ostrich?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Disgusting if true:

I can't see this world cup doing Qatar any favours. I have always had one raised eyebrow when I read about sportswashing. Whoever it is who has bought Newcastle has had nothing but criticism and scrutiny (and mockery). The only reason I can't say sportswashing has backfired against the Citeh owners is because I can never remember who they are. All I remember is that some UK football clubs are owned by embarrassing mediaeval Islamonazi nation states with young princes who think they can kill or f*** anything that takes their fancy.

When will the likes of Qatar wake up and realize that by taking on a world cup they are opening themselves up to scrutiny, mockery and ridicule?

If they are paying supporters to imitate what the Daily Mail did about Hitler in the 1930s ("what a lovely man - weekending with the Moseleys") there is a chance the world may find out about this :laugh:. Can you imagine some antichrist version of @Mr Blobby (the real Mr Blobby is giving this WC a swerve) sitting on the sofa of breakfast TV, telling the avid viewer that "Qatar is a lovely and welcoming state where you can have a drink, er, well, in one specially managed facility and, er, well, OK you can't show your knees and, er, they hardly executed anyone at all last year". :facepalm:

It isn't going to work, is it? In this day and age, especially after Putin ran such a successful world cup in Russia and then f***ed up the Brucie Bonus by invading Ukraine, scrutiny just gets ramped up. Attempts to thwart scrutiny just trigger more scrutiny.

It is a bit late for England to pull out of the world cup, now. And why should they? Better, now at the eleventh hour (we had our chance to boycott this and didn't) we go there, with all the others, and embarrass the Qatari goons.

Let's see more stories in the media about what a bunch of shitehouse chauvinistic Islamonazis they are, with their persecution of 'the other' and exploitation the other other, as the balls fly into their specially made desert heat-resistant nets

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I can't see this world cup doing Qatar any favours. I have always had one raised eyebrow when I read about sportswashing. Whoever it is who has bought Newcastle has had nothing but criticism and scrutiny (and mockery). The only reason I can't say sportswashing has backfired against the Citeh owners is because I can never remember who they are. All I remember is that some UK football clubs are owned by embarrassing mediaeval Islamonazi nation states with young princes who think they can kill or f*** anything that takes their fancy.

When will the likes of Qatar wake up and realize that by taking on a world cup they are opening themselves up to scrutiny, mockery and ridicule?

If they are paying supporters to imitate what the Daily Mail did about Hitler in the 1930s ("what a lovely man - weekending with the Moseleys") there is a chance the world may find out about this :laugh:. Can you imagine some antichrist version of @Mr Blobby (the real Mr Blobby is giving this WC a swerve) sitting on the sofa of breakfast TV, telling the avid viewer that "Qatar is a lovely and welcoming state where you can have a drink, er, well, in one specially managed facility and, er, well, OK you can't show your knees and, er, they hardly executed anyone at all last year". :facepalm:

It isn't going to work, is it? In this day and age, especially after Putin ran such a successful world cup in Russia and then f***ed up the Brucie Bonus by invading Ukraine, scrutiny just gets ramped up. Attempts to thwart scrutiny just trigger more scrutiny.

It is a bit late for England to pull out of the world cup, now. And why should they? Better, now at the eleventh hour (we had our chance to boycott this and didn't) we go there, with all the others, and embarrass the Qatari goons.

Let's see more stories in the media about what a bunch of shitehouse chauvinistic Islamonazis they are, with their persecution of 'the other' and exploitation the other other, as the balls fly into their specially made desert heat-resistant nets
Sportswashing works nicely because it's not what you think it is.

They're not trying to make themselves popular and adored in front of the average bloke in front of the TV sofa - they're trying to normalise the perception of them as a powerful player. The next time they're buying some British business or something, people are not going to think like they did 20 years ago: "wow, this small, dirty terrorist-supporting oil nation is coming here to f*** over our country, lets boycott them, throw em out and all sorts of things". Instead they'll think "yeah they got dirty amounts of dirty money but nothing strange or unusual about this, this is just how the world works, we shrug and move on". Sportswashed into normalisation.

A positive side effect for them is obviously that they might improve their reputation and stance where it really matters - heads of states and big businessmen getting royal treatment at some six star hotel while watching top level entertainment. What are they going to think? "These don't like gay people so I'm not going to make business with them" or "these are treating me like the God I think I am and I could see myself coming here again and do some business"? In most cases it'll be latter.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sportswashing works nicely because it's not what you think it is.

They're not trying to make themselves popular and adored in front of the average bloke in front of the TV sofa - they're trying to normalise the perception of them as a powerful player. The next time they're buying some British business or something, people are not going to think like they did 20 years ago: "wow, this small, dirty terrorist-supporting oil nation is coming here to f*** over our country, lets boycott them, throw em out and all sorts of things". Instead they'll think "yeah they got dirty amounts of dirty money but nothing strange or unusual about this, this is just how the world works, we shrug and move on". Sportswashed into normalisation.

A positive side effect for them is obviously that they might improve their reputation and stance where it really matters - heads of states and big businessmen getting royal treatment at some six star hotel while watching top level entertainment. What are they going to think? "These don't like gay people so I'm not going to make business with them" or "these are treating me like the God I think I am and I could see myself coming here again and do some business"? In most cases it'll be latter.
Thanks. This is the first time I have had sportswashing properly explained to me. So, in effect, it simply normalizing the existence of an organization/nation, by their buying a presence in a place, such as the UK, that might ordinarily cause problems for them? Not actively seeking popularity or approval as such, but just making their existence seem 'OK'. Therefore, reducing the risk of ostracism rather than as a means to actively seek money, power or influence (albeit influence comes with ownership of EPL football clubs and the like). That makes sense now :thumbsup:

Boy, the Qataris appear to have have misjudged the room, then, it seems :lolol:

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
But they haven't really misjudged the room, as I doubt they really give a damn that several hundreds of thousands of ordinary folk aren't going to watch it, or maybe a few thousands hardcore fans decide not to travel, plenty to take their spaces such as the sellout England Band-wagoners.

This is all about international perceptions and you can see that working already with countries such as ours who are desperate for business investment, defence contracts etc. James Cleverley's statement was outrageous, yet that's all the Qatari's want, it's working for them.

Last edited:

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Am I right in thinking the ‘band’ are Sheffield Wednesday fans?

1667653260345.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here