Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England 2018 WC presentation...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
you don't know that you're speculating. You never will know that either. As for him not going?I think quite the opposite - he thought he'd lose.

Regardless of whether Panorama affected it, they shouldn't have risked it by showing it last wk - it was deliberately timed and got unwanted attention. f*** Panorama anyway the Mail etc f***ed the whole bid up that was swimming along nicely by TRICKING our chairman. What a great thing to do - our own press.

I agree with Kinky Gerbils. Russia knew long before today that they'd won. That's why Putin announced this morning that he would fly to Zurich if they won.
Nothing the English media did changed anything. It's all down to corruption and money.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I always thought the Russians had this stitched up, it was only when listening to eddie and our presentation that I started getting excited and thinking that we might do it. That'll teach me to think that the whole bid and voting process was done on merit and not a complete farce.

MrShaun15

Aug 28, 2010
i swear i will never watch panorama again!....

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Panorama only exposed the corruption that was going to happen anyway, they didn't change anything. This bunch of clowns have voted our bid to be worse than the Holland/Belgium effort FFS!

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
For the doubters that think this process wasn't corrupt, explain how the Holland/Belgium bid got more votes than England and our first round exit.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
For an objective football based blog, have a look at Mark Raven's (Mr Blobby) write-up on Qatar.

http://englandbrighton.blogspot.com/2009/11/v-brazil-in-doha-qatar-14112009.html

No comment about whether Qatar deserved / bought the vote, but having lived out in the Gulf for the last 6 years, you can be sure that the Qataris will put on a fantastic tournament with state-of-the-art stadia that will be rebuilt around the world.

They'll come up with airconditioning solutions to negate the fierce conditions of the Gulf summer.
They'll allow drinking and revelry in the designated areas.
They'll be as welcoming as any hosts.
And yes, they'll be as keen to prevent any acts of violence/terrorism as any country would be (e.g. South Africa earlier this year).

I went to Japan to follow England in the 2002 World Cup - the Argentina game in Sapporo was played under a closed roof with a grass pitch that came in on a bed of air. That was as unreal a situation as I'd seen, but that was progress. It was the first time that the World Cup had gone to Asia - Russia will host the first in Eastern Europe and Qatar the first in the Middle East. It is the World Cup, after all.

Qatar will take immense pride in hosting the World Cup and I'm sure that they'll do an excellent job in doing so. Think the Olympics in Beijing 2008 and you'll get a good idea of what it will be like.

MrShaun15

Aug 28, 2010
who gives a shit about the journey we came last -.-

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Expect the English media to absolutely murder FIFA over the next few years and hopefully uncover even more corruption preferably in relation to these 2 'winning' bids. Why bother with this farce of a vote, it just makes it even more unsavoury and distasteful knowing that EVERY vote was purchased beforehand.

It will have to be the media. It won't be the FA.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I agree with Kinky Gerbils. Russia knew long before today that they'd won. That's why Putin announced this morning that he would fly to Zurich if they won.
Nothing the English media did changed anything. It's all down to corruption and money.

Yeh maybe. As I said though we'll prob never know and never know much about the corruption that goes on either...

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
What really pisses me off is these sanctimonious reporters from organisations that have deliberately put the boot in our bid who will still get to go to world cup matches and who never have to dip into their own pocket/savings to do so. All these BBC reporters who today were trying to big up our bid when in reality, delaying the Panorama programme would have been the best thing to do. It may or may not have changed things but it certainly didn't help especially as the bid team believed they had the backing of at least one of the individuals accused of corruption. It has been reported that if we could get passed the first round our chances were greatly improved because we had more of the second votes. Maybe that one vote could have got us through!

As for the arguments as to whether we should bid in a corrupt system then I take the view that we should but not to stoop to the lowest levels. It would be better to try and change an organisation from within rather than outside as with the IOC a decade or so ago.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
blimey...the BBC just reported that we may have only got 2 votes ( which one of them is our own)

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Clearly tactical voting by those supporting Russia and Spain/Portugal to get rid of England in the first round. Will be interesting to see the vote breakdowns.

To be fair, Qatar had a very good legacy bid (dismantling most of their stadia and taking it to Africa) and will host all the matches very close together.

BBC say we did indeed go out in the first round

MrShaun15

Aug 28, 2010
Vladimir Putin now flying to Zurich to thank SeppBlatter in person & return his daughter to him safe & unharmed...

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
blimey...the BBC just reported that we may have only got 2 votes ( which one of them is our own)

Sky say 4 but what ever the number is shocking if we came behind Holland/Belgium

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here