Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England 2018 WC presentation...

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The bigger disgrace is going along with the corruption. Sucking up to the Jack Warners of this world. He will be laughing his socks off now.

That's it isn't it? Because we wanted it so much, we were prepared to shamelessly kiss the arses of the likes of him when we should have just said to FIFA, no, this is wrong, we're not going to get involved until you straighten your affairs.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Just incase anyone was thinking of going to Qatar here's our government website advice for travellers.

Summary
•We advise you to exercise a high degree of caution in Qatar because of the threat of terrorist attack against Western interests.
•Terrorists have demonstrated the intent and capability to conduct attacks throughout the Arabian Peninsula at places frequented by Westerners, such as commercial and public areas. Further attacks may be planned and could occur in Qatar.
•Statements by international terrorists have called for attacks against Western interests in the Gulf region, including residential compounds, military, oil, transport and aviation interests.
•Medications that are available over the counter or by prescription in Australia may be illegal in Qatar. See Local Laws for details.
•Australia does not have an Embassy or Consulate in Qatar. The Australian Embassy in the United Arab Emirates provides consular assistance to Australians in Qatar.
◦Be a smart traveller. Before heading overseas:

And they just gave a f***ing world cup to this nation?

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Oh well,we got the Olympics.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Russia will put on a decent WC, I have no doubt, and I'm sure they had a very strong bid. It's actually the Qatar decision that stinks more to me. They've never, ever qualified, they have no chance of qualifying on merit any time soon, they have no footballing history at all, just a lot of money and a bunch of rich Arabs with Dubai-style plans for castles in the sky.
Totally agree with all of this. Russia's tournament will be OK, although I can't imagine a large number of travelling fans really. Qatar will be a joke. Their own team has never qualified and will be humiliated in the group stage, making a mockery of their presence in the tournament.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Total rip off, two fan unfriendly destinations with no deep football history but absolutely bucket-loads of spare cash swilling about, why are we even surprised.

In fairness, Russia has had decent players (Yashin, Blokhin, Belanov spring to mind) and teams both domestic and international. Qatar is a total joke though. Will they buy in players like they do with their athletics teams?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Clearly tactical voting by those supporting Russia and Spain/Portugal to get rid of England in the first round. Will be interesting to see the vote breakdowns.

Will place money that they are never officially released

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Totally agree with all of this. Russia's tournament will be OK, although I can't imagine a large number of travelling fans really. Qatar will be a joke. Their own team has never qualified and will be humiliated in the group stage, making a mockery of their presence in the tournament.

The fact that Russia has not had it before is OK that they get this one, but Moscow was hardly fan friendly when England played there (the police had a tank outside the main hotel fans were staying in). The size of the place will make it a difficult tournament though.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
That's it isn't it? Because we wanted it so much, we were prepared to shamelessly kiss the arses of the likes of him when we should have just said to FIFA, no, this is wrong, we're not going to get involved until you straighten your affairs.

I am looking forward to seeing a list of what we did to get the T&T votes. And if we went out first round - we did not get it.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Rubbish. Everything the programme raised about had already gone on, and it would still have been shameful whether they gave England the World Cup or not.

You can't ignore corruption only when it has a negative impact on you, it needs to be dealt with regardless, and personally I think it would have been virtually condoning it if the BBC had kept quiet purely so as not to offend those who made the decisions at FIFA.

Russia will put on a decent WC, I have no doubt, and I'm sure they had a very strong bid. It's actually the Qatar decision that stinks more to me. They've never, ever qualified, they have no chance of qualifying on merit any time soon, they have no footballing history at all, just a lot of money and a bunch of rich Arabs with Dubai-style plans for castles in the sky.

sorry I'm just fuming but i will argue a case. I didn't even watch panorama as it would have angered me - both that the beeb were showing it before the vote and that Fifa are so corrupt. Yes I believe it was past stuff but you really think the past stuff wouldn't have affected those accused or friends of those accused in this vote? Course it would. I'm not for one second defending the corrupt bastards but surely waiting another week till AFTER the vote would have been SIMPLY the right decision. How long do you think Panorama etc have known about this etc - f***ing YEARS - 1 week makes no difference. So do you think it's almost condoning it that these people from panorama didn't release a statement about their corrupt findings straight away (prob years ago) and carried on getting more evidence and more storys then took a few months putting the whole programme together etc etc?! Yet you moan about ONE WEEK?! Think about it...

As for the Daily f***ing Mail etc etc - completely went against our bid - f***ing disgrace.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I've been to Qatar. Well, I mean I've twice sat at the airport for hours, waiting for an onward flight. Nice shiny airport, lots of Ferraris and overpriced Duty Free. Very male dominated society. Not a place I'd be overwhelmed to play or watch football in, air conditioned or not.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I am 40,was not born last time we held it,i will probably never witness a world cup in my lifetime.What a joke.

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
England bid ambassador and BBC presenter Gary Lineker has confirmed that England were knocked out in the first round of voting. They came fourth out of four. I'm stunned

How shockingly corrupt is that?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Will place money that they are never officially released

Yes they will. FIFA announced just prior to the bid decision that they will now publish the breakdowns as per usual - having previously said that they wouldn't publish this time around.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
sorry I'm just fuming but i will argue a case. I didn't even watch panorama as it would have angered me - both that the beeb were showing it before the vote and that Fifa are so corrupt. Yes I believe it was past stuff but you really think the past stuff wouldn't have affected those accused or friends of those accused in this vote? Course it would. I'm not for one second defending the corrupt bastards but surely waiting another week till AFTER the vote would have been SIMPLY the right decision. How long do you think Panorama etc have known about this etc - f***ing YEARS - 1 week makes no difference. So do you think it's almost condoning it that these people from panorama didn't release a statement about their corrupt findings straight away (prob years ago) and carried on getting more evidence and more storys then took a few months putting the whole programme together etc etc?! Yet you moan about ONE WEEK?! Think about it...

As for the Daily f***ing Mail etc etc - completely went against our bid - f***ing disgrace.

Rubbish, the decison about the bid was made months ago, It made no difference to the bid. The Russians knew they had it wrapped up long before today, thus Putin didnt go.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Sorry but I did warn that Russia would win, just had a feeling in my water :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here