Deepest, darkest Sussex
2019 - England bowled out for 67 first innings, won the game

2021 - India 67/9...

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
GOT 'IM!!!! Bit of bounce, good catch from Joe Root at slip.

5 wickets for 11. That is how you DEMOLISH a tail.

India 78 all out (40.4 overs)

Anderson 3-6
Overton 3-14
Robinson 2-16
Curran 2-27

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
At least we'll avoid the follow on.

EDIT: A Joke isn't as good when you're the second person to make it.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
He bowls to the left, he bowls to the right.
That Ishant Sharma...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Thank God the snail Sibley has been dropped 16-0

I reckon Burns' 49 in the first innings of the last test has taken the pressure off a bit. Before that, he had been gash and of course was out for 0 in the second innings anyway. Sibley was awful though - one of the worst England openers I can remember seeing.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
21/0 at tea, kept it surprisingly calm given the chaos of the India innings

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
He's not the worst opener I've seen for England in the last 5 years.

Not that that's saying much :facepalm: :lolol:

From best to worst (excluding Cook who's obviously head, shoulders, torso, abdomen and knees above the rest) for me since Strauss retired;

Compton
Hameed
Burns
Jennings
Denly
Stoneman
Carberry
Sibley
Crawley
Lyth
Robson
Hales

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
From best to worst (excluding Cook who's obviously head, shoulders, torso, abdomen and knees above the rest) for me since Strauss retired;

Compton
Hameed
Burns
Jennings
Denly
Stoneman
Carberry
Sibley
Crawley
Lyth
Robson
Hales

I assume Leach's 90 odd against Ireland puts him in the Cook bracket?

Seriously though, I'd say it's hard to judge Hameed on the few innings he's played, and there's a couple like Carberry who drew a short straw with the attacks they faced, but I wouldn't take too much issue with that order. Jennings probably needs two rankings for his record on the subcontinent and everywhere else.

Also you've missed Roy. I assume he dropped off the bottom of the rankings, or you've just sandblasted him opening in tests from your mind (I wouldn't blame you).

These are the stats for the period since Strauss retired, if anybody's interested:
https://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/e...al2=span;team=1;template=results;type=batting

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I assume Leach's 90 odd against Ireland puts him in the Cook bracket?

Seriously though, I'd say it's hard to judge Hameed on the few innings he's played, and there's a couple like Carberry who drew a short straw with the attacks they faced, but I wouldn't take too much issue with that order. Jennings probably needs two rankings for his record on the subcontinent and everywhere else.

Also you've missed Roy. I assume he dropped off the bottom of the rankings, or you've just sandblasted him opening in tests from your mind (I wouldn't blame you).

These are the stats for the period since Strauss retired, if anybody's interested:
https://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/e...al2=span;team=1;template=results;type=batting

I had forgotten Roy, which is worse as I actually watched him bat with Leach at Lord's that day. Never felt a crowd deflate so much at a wicket as when he fell.

I'd probably put Roy above Hales as Hales was atrocious. But that's a real marginal call and either is fine.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
I had forgotten Roy, which is worse as I actually watched him bat with Leach at Lord's that day. Never felt a crowd deflate so much at a wicket as when he fell.

I'd probably put Roy above Hales as Hales was atrocious. But that's a real marginal call and either is fine.

I think you've forgotten just how bad Roy was, although to be fair looking at it he was apparently so awful that even the England selectors realised and pulled the plug after 4 matches.

Anyway, taking Hales as baseline for "atrocious":

He's 5th on the list of runs scored by England openers since Strauss' retirement (out of 20)
12th by average
4th by the number of 50s
9th by high score

That's an indictment if there ever was one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here