Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Energy tarrifs clearly listed!!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
1/1/2014 is the deadline for every energy provider within uk to have standing charge and one unit rate and comply with Ofgem.

British Gas was first to go and new pricing kicking in 23/11/2013 removal of nline discounted tariffs and prompt pay discount already removed to simplify and therefore now have one fixed price and one standard.

Every energy provider must follow suit and will be in place no later than 1/1/2014, ofgem have also dictated standing charge CANNOT be written off so people who don't like it can kick off and shout but it won't be taken off, the only way to have standing charge removed is removing the meter, a bit like BT line rental.

I was thinking of switching it's actually pointless really, all energy providers are following ofgem regulations and although Cameron says switch to make savings, I can't be arsed for the few pounds a year it will save me if any.

I bet you still won't be able to put the tariffs side be side for a like for like comparison. You'll be able to see them, but they wont show one providers exact kwh alongside the same kwh of another supplier. Thats how they ensure no one will understand who is the cheapest.

It will show (for example) one companies first 20Kwh @ £xxx then £yyy for the next kwh. Another will show it as the first 15kwh @ £aaa then the next @ £Bbb And so on.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
I bet you still won't be able to put the tariffs side be side for a like for like comparison. You'll be able to see them, but they wont show one providers exact kwh alongside the same kwh of another supplier. Thats how they ensure no one will understand who is the cheapest.

It will show (for example) one companies first 20Kwh @ £xxx then £yyy for the next kwh. Another will show it as the first 15kwh @ £aaa then the next @ £Bbb And so on.

There will be no KWH at tier 1 and then KWH for tier 2, Ofgem directive is one tariff and a standard charge. ALL uk energy providers MUST comply no later than 1/1/2014. Again British Gas has already complied with others to follow by removing prompt pay saving, Online discounts and now in its place 1 tariff and standing charge with an optional fixed tariff in place for those that want it.

If anyone is told upon looking at switching and are told by whoever....we dont have standing charge, they will by Jan.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
so if I sign into a deal, can I take it with me if I move home

No, I'm pretty sure you can't as the deal is on the household [like property insurance].
If you do sell, your deal gets taken over by the new owners when they move in though.

The regional variances are down to the cost of getting the gas / electric to your home I believe.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
There will be no KWH at tier 1 and then KWH for tier 2, Ofgem directive is one tariff and a standard charge. ALL uk energy providers MUST comply no later than 1/1/2014. Again British Gas has already complied with others to follow by removing prompt pay saving, Online discounts and now in its place 1 tariff and standing charge with an optional fixed tariff in place for those that want it.

If anyone is told upon looking at switching and are told by whoever....we dont have standing charge, they will by Jan.

That is excellent news, and about time too. What about those of us who have fixed our rates, will the standing charge be added to my fixed rate if I didn't have one before?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
No, I'm pretty sure you can't as the deal is on the household [like property insurance].
If you do sell, your deal gets taken over by the new owners when they move in though.

The regional variances are down to the cost of getting the gas / electric to your home I believe.

I've transferred home contents and buildings insurance from one address to another when we've moved house , the premium stayed the same and they waived the admin charge to alter all the details. I've got a fixed tariff deal with Scottish Power and if I move there is no exit penalty fee , I cannot keep the deal until it runs out at the new address and it cannot be passed on to the new owners.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here