Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Energy bills to top £4200 at the start of next year

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
But they’re ploughing it all back into new infrastructure, green energies :lolol:

Ah yes, I was forgetting they were all changing their business model simultaneously

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I know M Lewis was saying don't do a fixed but I renewed on another 2 year fixed in April (I'm electric only so it was hard to compare on predictors because they focus on gas) and just turned off my hot water from then and until .... I can't stand it at some point in winter. Luckily, I love cold showers (very good mentally) and I just boil the kettle for the washing up. It's no great hardship at all (at the moment, true). My parents always go on about having no hot water and a bath only once a week as children, putting on clothes in the winter indoors etc it is actually better for you... the elderly accepted..... and they're right, modern generations expect all their luxuries and are quick to cry and moan poverty about not being able to wear a tshirt and shorts inside in winter because it's too cold can we turn the heating up please). Currently turning off the heating has put me £300 in credit (Ovo won't reduce the dd) but i don't mind as they pay 5% on credit balances.

Is hot running water a luxury in the UK in 2022?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
View attachment 150753
I fixed for 2 years, EDF, hoping that I’ve done the right thing.
Gas standing charge, 27.22p per day, unit rate 9.738p per kWh

I think you have, I got in a month later and it was considerably more. Your gas rate is only a little above the current variable, it will be considerably less soon I imagine

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I know M Lewis was saying don't do a fixed but I renewed on another 2 year fixed in April (I'm electric only so it was hard to compare on predictors because they focus on gas) and just turned off my hot water from then and until .... I can't stand it at some point in winter. Luckily, I love cold showers (very good mentally) and I just boil the kettle for the washing up. It's no great hardship at all (at the moment, true). My parents always go on about having no hot water and a bath only once a week as children, putting on clothes in the winter indoors etc it is actually better for you... the elderly accepted..... and they're right, modern generations expect all their luxuries and are quick to cry and moan poverty about not being able to wear a tshirt and shorts inside in winter because it's too cold can we turn the heating up please). Currently turning off the heating has put me £300 in credit (Ovo won't reduce the dd) but i don't mind as they pay 5% on credit balances.

Nothing like a good cup of cold coffee/tea :moo:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Generally when I turn my kettle on I get hot water, it's a top of the range model you see.

How are you going to break it to your son that two showers a day might have to stop, the poor poppet :p

Lol….can I borrow your kettle.

I’ve scheduled a ‘house’ meeting for early November…I’m not looking forward to it
Ps I blame his mother

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Currently on this plan

Fixed to November 2023

Gas 4.4p per KWH
Standing charge 30p per day

Electric 22.7p per KWH
Standing charge 29 pence a day

Had a look hypothetically as to what’s the best British Gas could do for me and was offered a £200 per month increase to October 2023 and also a £100 transfer fee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Durlston

"Two grams please!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
The Government are going to have to back down somewhat when protests and possibly even riots start - although I really hope not - in the autumn.

Old people are going to really struggle. I just pray we have a mild winter free of snow and hard frosts.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
I wonder if this will be the wake up call to the 'always vote Tory' brigade now the Thatcherite chickens have come home to roost? Seriously, how big would their energy bills need to get while the companies get filthy rich before they think twice before putting a 'X' in the blue box?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Just got a lovely email from British Gas to say we can stay on our variable which will mean bills of £600/month or go fixed for bills of £800/month.

Not sure how they've worked that out as our account is in significant credit and we are just 2 people that live pretty frugally, but if it's accurate then a lot of people will be in dire trouble.

Last edited:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Just got a lovely email from British Gas to say we can stay on our variable which will mean bills of £600/month or go fixed for bills of £800/month.

Not sure how they've worked that out as our account is in significant credit and we are just 2 people that live pretty frugally, but if it's accurate then a lot of people will be in dire trouble.

very nice of them off the back of record profits, the whole thing stinks

https://www.itv.com/news/2022-07-28...its-rise-to-134-billion-as-energy-bills-surge

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

That’s utterly disgraceful. Sounds like they are trying to take advantage by locking people on to ridiculous tariffs for lengthy periods of time. That’s actually more than double the scaremongering figures of a few days ago !

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Trouble is, these companies all think they exist in a little world of their own. They think that they can just rack up their prices ad infinitum and pretend that no wider society exists. Which they might get away with for a little while. But not forever. Sooner or later they'll all get a long-overdue slap in the mouth that feeds them

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Trouble is, these companies all think they exist in a little world of their own. They think that they can just rack up their prices ad infinitum and pretend that no wider society exists. Which they might get away with for a little while. But not forever. Sooner or later they'll all get a long-overdue slap in the mouth that feeds them

Two ways we can do that; 1) windfall taxes on profits with money credited directly to energy bills , 2) demand destruction- we all use less. I like the idea mentioned on here yesterday with every household on a low tariff for essential use and progressively higher prices for greater usage.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I wonder if this will be the wake up call to the 'always vote Tory' brigade now the Thatcherite chickens have come home to roost? Seriously, how big would their energy bills need to get while the companies get filthy rich before they think twice before putting a 'X' in the blue box?

But Jeremy Corbyn .....

Now on a variable with EDF but can't even get on to their website these days to check bills and tariffs as their website is always down!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here