Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] endless flu

stingray

Jan 23, 2018
I've been suffering from the worst sore throat I've ever experienced (including covid), am blocked up with phlegm and feel generally down and have constant headache. Tested for Covid a week ago (neg). I'm a pretty fit healthy chap and normally shake off colds and flu quickly. it was bad for five days but then eased a bit before coming back even worse. Anyone else suffering? really getting me down, living on a diet of paracetmol, throat sprays and the like.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I've been suffering from the worst sore throat I've ever experienced (including covid), am blocked up with phlegm and feel generally down and have constant headache. Tested for Covid a week ago (neg). I'm a pretty fit healthy chap and normally shake off colds and flu quickly. it was bad for five days but then eased a bit before coming back even worse. Anyone else suffering? really getting me down, living on a diet of paracetmol, throat sprays and the like.
My friend at work had this for about 5 weeks. He thought he’d got over it like you but it came back a lot worse. He is better now and fully recovered but he got very frustrated, especially with his dealings with the NHS in terms of struggling to get both an appointment and a proper diagnosis. I believe he got antibiotics in the end and they eventually worked. He may well have had two coruses.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I had a similar cold abut two months ago. Coughing so much I strained chest muscles to add to the discomfort. The amount of phlegm I brought up every morning was disgusting. The cough gradually got better but slowly and the phlegm in decreasing amounts for about a month. Grim

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
Yes, both myself and Ms. Papak have had similar.

We had flu-like symptoms for a good couple of weeks, she coughed so hard it cracked a rib or pulled something major.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The Ross' less successful follow up single.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
A colleague of mine has had something similar ongoing since January. He’s had some ridiculously strong antibiotics which haven’t shifted it. Done his back in from coughing so much. He keeps coming into the office saying he’s feeling better then looking like he’s about to die coughing. Just seems to be the latest bug going round.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
might be hayfever (though bit early) or other allergy. try some antihistamine (non-branded, dont waste money on logos). there's been something low level going around months though, might just affect some more than others.

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
I`ve had something similar, sore throat pretty constant. Also had a cough for a few weeks which has now gone.
GP suggested nasal rinses, nasal spray and antihistamines, must admit i was a bit meh about it but it does seem to work.
The nasal rinses especially, not so sure about the anithistamines.

Jul 7, 2003
I'm very much the same as you.

I've had this for a few weeks now. Started off with a sore throat the day of the Grimsby game and went through the cold, cough, blocked ears in different cycles. I checked a couple of times for COVID but was negative. I also know of a few others who I have not been in contact with but who have picked up similar symptoms.

One of my ears took nearly four weeks to clear properly and even now I still have a lingering cough which ranges from the occasional tickle to sounding like I am a police dog at a Palace game.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
I had a similar cold abut two months ago. Coughing so much I strained chest muscles to add to the discomfort. The amount of phlegm I brought up every morning was disgusting. The cough gradually got better but slowly and the phlegm in decreasing amounts for about a month. Grim
I empathise - I've just got over the same thing, it took about 5 weeks from start to finish.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
I`ve had something similar, sore throat pretty constant. Also had a cough for a few weeks which has now gone.
GP suggested nasal rinses, nasal spray and antihistamines, must admit i was a bit meh about it but it does seem to work.
The nasal rinses especially, not so sure about the anithistamines.
I concur - nasal sprays seemed to help me too, as did an extra pillow (or 2) at night to keep me elevated.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Problem is people say they have flu when they mean a cold. Flu will stay around for a long time.

stingray

Jan 23, 2018
thanks for yr replies. I'm just unable to do anything much but rest up and read a bit. don't think it's that contagious as no one else in house has had it yet. still, there's footie on the TV

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
I was ill for about 6 weeks. No energy, general flu like symptoms and dodgy eyes (conjunctivitis). No idea what it was but Covid can be ruled out

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
After reading this thread, I think another lockdown is required. I had covid a while back but my symptoms were not as bad as this current virus.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I had something similar in January - lost voice, blocked nose, ridiculous amount of snot. I'm very susceptible to sinus infections, so I made sure I saw a doctor after a couple of weeks without improvement. It turned out it was a bacterial infection (on top of the viral ones I usually have) which needed a round of antibiotics to get rid of it.

Jul 7, 2003
I was ill for about 6 weeks. No energy, general flu like symptoms and dodgy eyes (conjunctivitis). No idea what it was but Covid can be ruled out
I forgot about the dodgy eyes amongst the various symptoms I have had over the last few weeks. Also had sinus issues for a few days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here