Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

End of live streams??

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Yeah, its like the people who claim that downloading music doesn't affect the music industry when it does. Fewer artists are now being signed up nowadays, well unique ones. Hence why the music scene will never go through a change like it has in the past ever again.

Pfft. Music, as with most arts, is only improved when there is less money involved. People who make shit music to get rich won't bother anymore, can't say I am bothered about that. People who love making music regardless of the spoils will continue to. Win win for me.

As for, "the music scene will never go through a change like it has in the past ever again", if you are talking about the kinds of changes we have seen over the past few decades, I think most would see that as a good thing.

The music scene is changing, for the better.

SuperWill

Feb 17, 2012
Hove
It won't stop live streaming like they haven't stopped illegal movie/music downloads. They may shut sites more regularly but they will reappear under a new name or someone else will take on the mantra.

Wiziwig is essentially a listings website anyway providing links to people/other sites who are actually transmitting the games. If you use programmes like acestream or sopcast they will be even harder to police as they create a vpn and don't use a website to host the video. Take wiziwig away and I could still play sky through acestream send the address to a friend to connect to me and he bingo they are watching my sky feed. (I don't actually do this myself though)

Lawson

Feb 25, 2012
i will continue to use them because it isn't illegal to stream them, it is only illegal to be the one hosting the links on a website.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
The other week there was a thread on here about the best place to download music and several people were quick to get on their high horses and suggest people should pay for their downloads as it's the artists that suffer. How is this any different? Yet people seem to think its ok.

I'm fully aware if they were to stop all web streams tomorrow it won't make my Sky subscription any cheaper and I'm really not that bothered about people getting content I've paid for for free because as someone else has said every stream I've ever watched as been terrible to the point where it becomes unwatchable.

Will be impossible to police anyway, sites will be based off shore even if the ISPs got on board and prevented traffic to their sites alla Pirate Bay or gaming sites in the US people will just find ways and means to get round it.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
My personal choice is to not download music and films etc because it annoys me when people download the game I work on for a living. It certainly hurts us financially but also morally I think if you want something, you pay for it.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Nothing will happen. Alot of these sites and hosts are registered outside of the eu. It's then up to the ISP's in the EU to block them out. Something that is easy to get around.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I've watched TWO Albion games on snide streams, ever. West Ham away last year, and Palace away this year. I vote ban them.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Good,

Streaming sites, whether live streaming or video stream reduce the amount of money the television industry takes in by way of advertising. We therefore end up with terrible programs that don't cost much to make.

How is me, sitting in Indonesia watching cricket on a stream, depriving Sky of money? They, or their competitors/partners around the world, can't/won't sell me the product anyway so who am I hurting?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i will continue to use them because it isn't illegal to stream them, it is only illegal to be the one hosting the links on a website.

no, it is illegal for you too, just unenforced. same as videoing of the TV or copying your CD collection to computer. there is no "fair use" in UK law.

tbh, given all the dodgy sites involved and the poor quality, i'd rather have a proper pay for service. i'm surprised there isn't, i only assume that the SKY deal precludes internet broadcasts or they do so voluntarily to improve the value of the existing deal. there was alot of talk about common streaming year ago, but the tech was never really upto it. now the tech is good enough its gone quiet. though there is still a massive cost associated, the servers and networking to push out live streams at a decent quality dont come cheap.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
no, it is illegal for you too, just unenforced. same as videoing of the TV or copying your CD collection to computer. there is no "fair use" in UK law.

There certainly is, it just isn't called that and manifest itself in different ways.

It's isn't illegal to record from television unenforced or otherwise. Soon it will cease to be technically illegal to copy a CD to computer, since the government have reviewed the copyright legislation.

The bashing of the likes of Sky on here is a red herring. Sky don't own the Premier League, they simply buy the rights.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
My personal choice is to not download music and films etc because it annoys me when people download the game I work on for a living. It certainly hurts us financially but also morally I think if you want something, you pay for it.

Agreed. If anything it gives an excuse for media companies to pay the lower paid staff lower. I think there is an assumption that people in the media industry are getting paid huge wages. The majority are not in reality.

The media industry can have the tendency to be somewhat exploitative to particularly young employees, getting away with paying low wages.

I think people would be surprised by some of the wages. Not to mentioned the morally indefensible internships. Never happened where I've ever worked but I know companies where it does.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The bashing of the likes of Sky on here is a red herring. Sky don't own the Premier League, they simply buy the rights.

i wasnt having a go at Sky, they are simply going about thier business. as is the Premier League. im just wondering why there isnt more push into internet delivery, and wonder if its because Sky (or any other) wouldnt pay as much for rights where they cant maintain a control, so either they quietly make that known or the right holder works it out for themself.

and i stand corrected on copyright, i thought timeshifting and other exceptions was somethign they kept talking about with out actually applying.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
i wasnt having a go at Sky, they are simply going about thier business. as is the Premier League. im just wondering why there isnt more push into internet delivery, and wonder if its because Sky (or any other) wouldnt pay as much for rights where they cant maintain a control, so either they quietly make that known or the right holder works it out for themself.

and i stand corrected on copyright, i thought timeshifting and other exceptions was somethign they kept talking about with out actually applying.

Wasn't implying you were bashing Sky. I'm no fan of them, but if anything it's the Premier League responsibility for selling the rights at that money.

You can watch Sky Sports over the internet as a subscriber via their software which obviously gives them much more control.

I personally don't agree streams will always available. Encryption software and receiving equipment will catch up to a point where it will be simply impossible to stream a transmission illegally.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here