Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Employment Law ~ Public House

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
If a mistake has been made , almost certainly it will be turned around so that the blame is shifted away from the manager.

PCBEARDMLORD

Isn't it ?
Jan 30, 2008
Patcham
But as I said before surely if this is verbal can they prove it? as he did not lie on the application form this clearly stated 1991 so its the managers word against his so would the manager be in trouble if 18 is the legal age for giving him a contract when he clearly can see his age on the application and why would he still be working there tonight after the assistant manager come and asked me for his age?

To be honest I don't know what the minimum age is to work in a Pub Kitchen however if the Pub advertised for an 18 year old and your son told them he was 18 when he applied then technically he has deceived them. However, the manager would have a tough time proving it if the application form was produced. I suspect it would be dealt with internally.

PCBEARDMLORD

Isn't it ?
Jan 30, 2008
Patcham
Common Sense says the manager should have checked the application form and ID shown and that it was his responsibility to check your sons age. However, it was also your sons responsibility to tell the truth.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
When I worked for BT , the agency supplier sent a young man for training in a call centre on our switch. After 2 weeks as he having difficulties he asked whether or not he could bring in his own spellchecker as he was dyslexic and it would help him. This opened a can of worms as it was obvious he couldn't do directory enquiries work ! As the agency had cocked up big time , BT had to tell him he wouldn't be kept on but had to give him an ex-gratia payment.

mdotw

Aug 20, 2003
Thanks everyone the input was much appreciated, so you know he did not apply via a advert or anything he just dropped his CV in one day they gave him a application form which he duly completed I checked for correctness, it was all in order and he handed it in that was about a month ago he started on Tuesday just gone and it was tonight Sunday that the assistant manager approached me but he did say he was not sure if 18 was the legal age for the role, but he did make a point of saying my son told the manager he was 18 verbally on interview, I still await for him to get home to question him on this. They will call tomorrow with an answer one way or another, but my problem is if they say sorry he cannot work anymore then why did they still let him work all day after realising there could be an error.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
They will have let him work all day otherwise they would have been short staffed.

Whats the difference between working in a Cafe or restaurant and working in a commercial kitchen?

When I administered the employment of school children, "employment in a commercial kitchen" included employment in the kitchen of a cafe or restaurant. I used to refuse applications that involved any of these things.

Serving in a cafe or restaurant is different. It's allowed.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
So what about serving alcohol then ?....i thought that they could be 16 providing they were under supervision. 16 year olds sell me beer in Tescos all the time but they always ask a senior member of staff if they're allowed to sell alcohol.

mdotw

Aug 20, 2003
A update, my son come home and says he does not remember telling his manager he was 18 as the application form would have said otherwise so he would of been silly to say it, but the manager seems to be saying it as there was a mistake by him. He left work and the manager said "see you Tuesday" however the assistant said he would call head office today and let us know. The pub in question is not in Brighton its in Middlesex.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here