Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Emergency PS3 Advice needed

finbar

Jul 15, 2003
Hove
Ok, im bored - i was going to cheltenham but my lift pulled out, so ive decided i have to buy a Ps3 today, but know nothing about them

Im giving myself until 1 pm until i go into town to buy it - furiously searching interent for info at moment

I need advice - anyone seen any good deals? Is it necessery to get the 80gb one? What single game should i get (cant afford more than one today)

WHAT DO I DO!!!

SeagullTim

Boomer Sooner
Apr 22, 2006
Brighton
Not really sure, but I have a 360 and they are superb! Like £100 cheaper too.

XBOX Live is by far better than the PS3 online if you want it for online play.

The graphics, I've heard, are only slightly better, but not entirely sure about the other aspects.

Feb 8, 2008
Do you wish to play PS2 games on it too?

You can get a 40Gb which is more than adequate, but doesn't have backward compatibility for PS2 games, you would need the 60Gb + version(s) for that [I think].

finbar

Jul 15, 2003
Hove
hmmm. more confusion. thanks though - i'll extend my searching to 13:30 and consider an x-box

finbar

Jul 15, 2003
Hove
Do you wish to play PS2 games on it too?

You can get a 40Gb which is more than adequate, but doesn't have backward compatibility for PS2 games, you would need the 60Gb + version(s) for that.

Not bothered really, but i suppose for an extra few quid would be worth it

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
The graphics, I've heard, are only slightly better, but not entirely sure about the other aspects.

http://www.eurogamer.net/index.php

This site does a regular side by side comparison of releases on 360 versus PS3, and in the majority of instances the 360 graphics are actually better, as it is the 'lead' platform.

PS3 has better graphics on it's exclusive titles, sadly hardly any of these are actually any good.

SeagullTim

Boomer Sooner
Apr 22, 2006
Brighton
http://www.eurogamer.net/index.php

This site does a regular side by side comparison of releases on 360 versus PS3, and in the majority of instances the 360 graphics are actually better, as it is the 'lead' platform.

PS3 has better graphics on it's exclusive titles, sadly hardly any of these are actually any good.

Well that's good to hear.

Plus, the Premium 360 is very good for its value at £250 plus a quality game in Assasin's Creed. Compared to a 40GB PS3 which is £300 with no game. (Prices from Game)

finbar

Jul 15, 2003
Hove

Plus, the Premium 360 is very good for its value at £250 plus a quality game in Assasin's Creed. Compared to a 40GB PS3 which is £300 with no game. (Prices from Game)

This is good stuff - looks like i might be savinf a bit of cash by going for the xbox then. I need to make it clear, whatever choice i make has to be available in the shops today, and i needto be home by 3 to listen to the commentary

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
Although one thing to bear in mind that there is a very good chance that a 360 will break at some point in it's lifetime.. Quick count up in my head says that I know eight people with 360's, 5 of which have had to be sent back for repair at come point (mine included). One mate is on his 4th machine, 3 have broken - red ring of death.

Failure rate estimated to be around 30%... although you do get a three year free repair guarantee for this specific fault.

SeagullTim

Boomer Sooner
Apr 22, 2006
Brighton
99.9% sure that it will be in stock in Game in Churchill Square if you live around Brighton.

Not even that busy in there, even on Saturdays, will make it back for the commentary definately.

SeagullTim

Boomer Sooner
Apr 22, 2006
Brighton
Although one thing to bear in mind that there is a very good chance that a 360 will break at some point in it's lifetime.. Quick count up in my head says that I know eight people with 360's, 5 of which have had to be sent back for repair at come point (mine included). One mate is on his 4th machine, 3 have broken - red ring of death.

Failure rate estimated to be around 30%... although you do get a three year free repair guarantee for this specific fault.

Seriously?!

Mine hasn't been faulty at all, but that is actually quite worrying.

finbar

Jul 15, 2003
Hove
right, its looking like the X-box elite pacxkage, for £300 incl assassins creed, from GAME in western road

Not sure this is the right forum to be discussing all this, but the amount of old shit that usually gets posted make me think its ok!!

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country

Which is to be expected since the technology in the xbox is a couple of years older than the PS3.

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Don't listen to these guys. Get a PS3. Get Call of Duty 4 or Burnout Paradise. Sorted.

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
And DON'T get Assassins Creed. Looks great, but its piss easy and gets boring very quickly.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Failure rate is closer to 5% on revised 360s. There's a 3-year warranty anyway, so no big deal.

I prefer my 360 to my PS3 (especially online), but Blu-ray movies rock. Depends where your priorities lie.

The Wii is a great for casual gamers, but has nothing to compare with, say, CoD4 or Burnout Paradise - and never will.

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
Failure rate is closer to 5% on revised 360s. There's a 3-year warranty anyway, so no big deal.

It's a big deal if you're lazy... I've been without my 360 for months because I've not been arsed to send it away for fixing... should be back on Monday though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here