Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Embarrassment of riches: How on earth are we going to line up in midfield next season?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Wouldn't be surprised to see one of our top CBs go, to be replaced by a naturally left sided CB for better balance.

I think one of Biss, Lamptey or White will go, but if it is just one I won't panic, and could be a positive move if the money's right.

Could you imagine saying that a couple of years ago, let alone 5 :eek:

I hope the market is still dead and we keep them all.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Burn to sign for Arsenal for £35m. I’d take that deal.

Per inch it's not brilliant

Plus he's worth more for this alone

burn-lamptey.jpg

Last edited:

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Wouldn't be surprised to see one of our top CBs go, to be replaced by a naturally left sided CB for better balance.

Agreed. but IMHO Clarke deserves a chance. Look at the Davis transfer today.
We don't know how this boy will do until he is given a chance but he clearly ticks a lot of boxes.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
We do look rather overloaded in midfield right now.

Proper is surely to go? I can only assume the club is planning to sell Bissouma in the summer and Moder has been brought back to adapt to the league and country ahead of him taking over next season. As we've seen with the likes of Bissouma and MacAllister it can take a while for these young players to settle so I'm not expecting to see Caicedo feature much for the time being. So that leaves Moder plus another next season. Based on recent performances I'd like that to be Gross but Lallana can also deputise. Neither of those players are young though so I think certainly wise to have someone who can cover for them. Who though? Presumably Caicedo, but where does that leave Alzate? I'd like to keep him but it seems unfair to ask him to stay another season he won't feature regularly.

Then there's the U23 players... Molumby is meant to be class but has barely played for us, Jenks is also highly rated and younger... I assume Sanders out permanently to the championship, likewise Jenks on loan. Molumby would be easy to sell but would we want to? Maybe keep him and sell Alzate? Going to be an interesting summer.

I

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
I don’t think anyone is claiming otherwise? More evaluating the midfield options as a whole.

Ben White has played most PL games in CM. Clearly GP thinks he can play there. I had doubts, but his game at Leeds in midfield was sensational.

We only really play with two 'midfielders' - the formation is usually a 5-2-3, 5-2-1-2 or 5-2-2-1.

Yeah, White is certainly more than adept in CM but I don't think that will be his long term position. Although I suppose seeing how stocked we are at CB he could get moved to CM if Potter prefers his qualities there.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Burn to sign for Arsenal for £35m. I’d take that deal.

Judging by the quality of their centre half signings today, he must have a chance of a deal at Anfield :ohmy:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Our midfield, this time next year ..... This is the way I see it

Gross, = Staying and competing for first team place
Bissouma, = Still here, still bossing it
Mac Allister, = Still here. Mostly in the side, but not always
Trossard, = playing further forward
Moder, = Getting the occasional game. Cup player at this stage
White, = Playing at CB
Moises, = On loan, somewhere lower than you'd have thought
Proper, = Sold
Molumby, = Sold
Lallana. = Injured
Alzate = Still here. Still with lots of mysterious absences
Jenks = on loan at league 1
Sanders = sold
Weir = u23 still

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Agreed. but IMHO Clarke deserves a chance. Look at the Davis transfer today.
We don't know how this boy will do until he is given a chance but he clearly ticks a lot of boxes.

Yep, Liverpool have gone for Ben Davies over Ben White - saved themselves a chunk of money there!

As for Clarke, I got the feeling that being chucked straight back to Derby he wasn't that highly rated here. Usually if we are sending young players out on loan to develop, we send them to gain a different experience at a different club as with White, Molumby, Sanchez, etc. Still, if White or Webster depart in the summer, and he gets a chance to run the left side and grabs it with both hands, I'd be delighted.
My gut feeling though, based on nothing whatsoever, is that he's one we'll sell on without playing for us.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
We only really play with two 'midfielders' - the formation is usually a 5-2-3, 5-2-1-2 or 5-2-2-1.

Yeah, White is certainly more than adept in CM but I don't think that will be his long term position. Although I suppose seeing how stocked we are at CB he could get moved to CM if Potter prefers his qualities there.

Again: “Evaluating the midfield options as a whole”.

Time will tell with Ben. I know in Leeds and FIFA/FM land he’s primally a CB, but in reality he’s still a young player learning his trade. One of Potters talents so far I think has been spotting potential new roles for players. He clearly sees something in Ben playing middle of the park, so I wouldn’t write it off just yet.

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
Wouldn't be surprised to see Biss moving on in the summer for around 45m (plus several chunky financial clauses including a sell-on). Meaning Mac will get the chance to further establish himself, and Caicedo getting eased into the 1st team squad.

Happy days, if we stay up.

I just don’t see enough clubs having the large enough budget to get yves for what we’d want under the current circumstances with COVID and possibly of no bookie money either I can see us holding onto him for another season

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

White, = Playing at CB
Proper, = Sold
Molumby, = Sold
Lallana. = Injured
Sanders = sold
Weir = u23 still

[emoji106] agree with all but Moises being on loan somewhere “lower then you thought”. You could be right though.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham

White, = Playing at CB
Proper, = Sold
Molumby, = Sold
Lallana. = Injured
Sanders = sold
Weir = u23 still

I’ll be amazed if Bissouma doesn’t get sold end of season. Top clubs will come in with big cash, we have a very big revenue hole, and he’ll want to go.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I’ll be amazed if Bissouma doesn’t get sold end of season. Top clubs will come in with big cash, we have a very big revenue hole, and he’ll want to go.

I believe there are threads discussing that very point

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here