[Technology] emails keep disappearing

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Sorry for posting another thread.
Using windows live mail on laptop.
Every time I shut down the laptop all my emails disappear. On restarting it states it cant find the folder with the emails and so starts with zero emails, neither inbox or sent.
Searching through I find the emails, 10000's of them, in over 50 folders and to put them back into the inbox on windows mail could take hours.
So why does it keep losing my files and is there a quick way to put them all back.

Jul 7, 2003
Have you set some filter to only show new messages?

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
lots of possibles here. Is the device running slowly generally?

Are all your emails in the main inbox, or have they been moved into separate storage folders? Do you have any filters/rules set up to move emails from particular senders to particular folders?

If you’ve never deleted an email, and they’re all in the main inbox, then you’ve given the app a lot to do on start up. I wouldn’t be surprised if it takes a while for the app to finish indexing them and find them via search. It might be worth creating storage folders for them, and moving them off in a system that makes sense to you. (e.g by year)

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
Outlook express used to do this and it was due to some corrupt index files, probably something like that

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
My father-in-law is with aol - and as soon as he has read an email and moves onto another one, the read email vanishes into a 'old emails' folder somewhere. Awful set up. But check your settings to see if that's a possibility.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
lots of possibles here. Is the device running slowly generally?

Are all your emails in the main inbox, or have they been moved into separate storage folders? Do you have any filters/rules set up to move emails from particular senders to particular folders?

If you’ve never deleted an email, and they’re all in the main inbox, then you’ve given the app a lot to do on start up. I wouldn’t be surprised if it takes a while for the app to finish indexing them and find them via search. It might be worth creating storage folders for them, and moving them off in a system that makes sense to you. (e.g by year)
Thanks for the interest.
Laptop is about 3 years running Windows 11. I copy all old emails over from old computers.
I've lots of folders. Basically I search the 'windowslivemail' folder which has 35 folders. These folders then contain further folders ,all containing emails, around 32,000 I think. I can then search files called .eml to find emails and add a name for specific emails. But putting them all back into one inbox takes hours.
Is there a quick way to restore all emails into there original 'inbox' and 'sent' boxes.
Why does Windows Live Mail keep forgetting where it stores emails.

chickens

NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Thanks for the interest.
Laptop is about 3 years running Windows 11. I copy all old emails over from old computers.
I've lots of folders. Basically I search the 'windowslivemail' folder which has 35 folders. These folders then contain further folders ,all containing emails, around 32,000 I think. I can then search files called .eml to find emails and add a name for specific emails. But putting them all back into one inbox takes hours.
Is there a quick way to restore all emails into there original 'inbox' and 'sent' boxes.

So just to make sure i understand correctly, is the issue:

a) that the storage folders and their emails aren’t visible at all in Live Mail unless manually re-added.

Or

b) that they’re there as subfolders, but you want the emails from those storage folders to appear in the main inbox/sent folders?

HHGull

BZ fan club
Dec 29, 2011
Thanks for the interest.
You do know BG used to scan all his letters then burn them to CD?

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Is your mailbox setup as IMAP or POP3
IMAP syncs very well to multiple devices, POP3 is old hat and is a 1-on-1 arrangement.
Is it a new problem and was previously working fine?

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
So just to make sure i understand correctly, is the issue:

a) that the storage folders and their emails aren’t visible at all in Live Mail unless manually re-added.

Or

b) that they’re there as subfolders, but you want the emails from those storage folders to appear in the main inbox/sent folders?
a)

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Is your mailbox setup as IMAP or POP3
IMAP syncs very well to multiple devices, POP3 is old hat and is a 1-on-1 arrangement.
Is it a new problem and was previously working fine?
POP3. It's the main computer. Phone has IMAP so I see emails but not downloaded. Been ongoing for a while. I think laptop shuts down to update apps and happens then.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Don't use POP3 - if the computer goes phut, then so does everything stored on it, including the emails.

With IMAP they stay on the client server so you can access them from any device.

Check your settings as well as your provider may have changed something. My provider email settings had to be changed a couple of years ago when the provider made some "improvements" which meant Outlook and Gmail couldn't pick them up until I updated the settings.

chickens

NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
@Official Old Man Look here: (click on where it says redirecting)

There’s a couple of posts in that thread marked as answers, which may help you.

I’m not directly familiar with Windows Live Mail, so I apologise if the information contained doesn’t help.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports