Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

email etiquette

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
The G is immediately below the T on a keyboard. And yes, I once wrote Kind retards on an email

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Life's way too short to worry how an email starts and finishes. I generally only read the bit in the middle anyway - that's the important bit.

Kind regards,

GB

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
People, how do you start your emails? People who write 'Hi' should be removed from society with immediate affect, or at least deported to America.

Similarly, the sycophantics who sign off with 'Kind Regards', make me sick.

Yours,

Brighton TID

you would hate my partners job, she is an account and works in the music industry... she showed me an e mail sent to her last weekend it started

"Yo dude,

wheres my expenses

peace

The drummer

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
It seems that in the US using the addressee's first name is the ONLY acceptable way to begin an email - it's part of having to fight for someone's attention. And most of the time people don't even bother with that.

Anything else seems almost risibly polite or rather over-familiar, while putting "cheers" at the end as is often the default in the UK seems to imply that you're an alcoholic who's off to swig scotch from a bottle right after pressing send.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Depends on the audience, surely?

At work, to colleagues, I start with 'Hi <Name>' and end with 'Many thanks' or 'Cheers' if I know them a bit better.
At work, to external, it's 'Good <morning/afternoon> <Name>' finishing with 'Kind Regards'

To mates it's usually 'Alright you stain!' and 'Tatty-bye ****'

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
People, how do you start your emails? People who write 'Hi' should be removed from society with immediate affect, or at least deported to America.

Yours,

Brighton TID

Don't be so f***** ridiculous.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
At work I never bother with "Hi" or "Hello" or "Good morning" etc. I just go straight into the message.

Out of work I'll generally use "Hi >name<"

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine

Yours,

Brighton TID

Hi

I don't agree.

Kind regards.

SCO

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I don't use anything, although sorely tempted to begin all work e-mails with "Oi, you".

:sick:Kind regards:sick:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Years ago, I got a dressing down from the business development manager for writing 'kind regards' to clients I had yet to meet.

I also sneezed once and failed to cover my involuntary action in time and he sent me an email along the lines of not being my first offence on that front and the ladies of the office were concerned by my wanton attitude to hygiene and I should 'cover my sneeze, don't spread the disease'.

I handed in my resignation a few days later, vowing never to return to office work.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005

Yours,

Brighton TID

Hi...did you just get one of my emails??

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
I start 'hi' and usually finish 'thanks'.

The main issue I have with e mails is though whether I get a response. It is surely polite to say thanks and make appropriate comment rather than just receive and say nothing. I am in a couple of positions of some authority .. hon treasurer and director where I spend a good deal of time and send out information to others to receive nothing back whatsoever. I would like to receive some recognition and this is more the etiquette issue to me.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I start 'hi' and usually finish 'thanks'.

The main issue I have with e mails is though whether I get a response. It is surely polite to say thanks and make appropriate comment rather than just receive and say nothing. I am in a couple of positions of some authority .. hon treasurer and director where I spend a good deal of time and send out information to others to receive nothing back whatsoever. I would like to receive some recognition and this is more the etiquette issue to me.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
The only emails I get addressed as "Dear" are either those Nigerian ones, or Russian Wives.......

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Assuming you know the person at least a bit

Person's first name, no Hi, Dear or Yo

Best

Your first name

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here