Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Elton John

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Well, he mellowed as a performer. He was miles better when he was off his tits.

Agree. Love Lies Bleeding/Funeral for a friend is my favourite.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I am struggling to think of anyone who has been around a long time who is still writing stuff to match the music of their hayday. Perhaps I'll start a thread......

I would think a fair few are. It's just that their exposure is far less as their material is not top 30 single material and really only long term fans still buy or download the albums.
Also they suffer from the fact that people are more familiar with the older material as they have played it and listened to it regularly over the years.

In respect of Elton John, the return to piano based albums (Peachtree Road onwards) were a return to his early period.

Others for your list Paul Weller, Elvis Costello, Bruce Springsteen, Little Steven, David Byrne....

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I would think a fair few are. It's just that their exposure is far less as their material is not top 30 single material and really only long term fans still buy or download the albums.
Also they suffer from the fact that people are more familiar with the older material as they have played it and listened to it regularly over the years.

In respect of Elton John, the return to piano based albums (Peachtree Road onwards) were a return to his early period.

Others for your list Paul Weller, Elvis Costello, Bruce Springsteen, Little Steven, David Byrne....

Post something on my new thread....

I considered Costello. I have 7 CDs of his but nothing after the 90s.

Actually Frank Zappa kept hitting the mark till he died.

Many release the odd good thing (Weller, David Sylvian, VNV Nation, Tuxedomoon) but it all gets a bit patchy, and would not have launched a career like their early stuff did. I guess that includes Zappa. I thought the final Bowie Album was class, but he did have a long hiatus at the end of his career, so he doesn't count as still putting out top Q schmutter on and on. although I feel dirty for saying that.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Agree. Love Lies Bleeding/Funeral for a friend is my favourite.

That is an incredible track from one of the greatest double albums of all time, Bernie Taupin's lyrics with Elton's tunes at their very best. He's been a bit hit or miss from time to time but still keeps coming up with classics. Loved " The One " it was a cracker, still love to whack Whitewash County on max from time to time !

Last edited:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I hope I leave this wonderful world before Elton John. Because I like him ? No he’s dreadful and the thought of a whole day of his music on every tv and radio channel shivers me to the bone.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I don't know about the year but basically his best work was before he went into rehab. By some distance. Rehab turned him into a bitter old queen.
[MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION], you are wrong. Bernie Taupin done his lyrics. John put them to music and yes, that was genius.

Oh pedantry. You know what I mean.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Nick Cave. Gruff Rhys.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I hope I leave this wonderful world before Elton John. Because I like him ? No he’s dreadful and the thought of a whole day of his music on every tv and radio channel shivers me to the bone.

Please don't pop off before me, it will be sad enough as it is, but, I'm really not looking forward to the tuneless mumbles of Canadian Len at the crem.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Please don't pop off before me, it will be sad enough as it is, but, I'm really not looking forward to the tuneless mumbles of Canadian Len at the crem.

Hallelujah brother.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here