[Technology] Elon Musk and Twitter

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Twitter - likey to implode? Disappear? Cease to exist? A platform for weirdo's to pontificate on snatched sway in an insrant (or maybe slightly longer, just a tad drawn out a bit?)

Oh dear, how sad, never mind ..............................

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I have to say I’m finding all this fascinating. Twitter itself is a fascinating social experiment, and I do wonder if Musk bought it with the idea of bringing it down.

He tried to get out of buying it by going on about the number of bots. Then Twitter called his bluff, took him to court for reneging on the deal, forcing him to complete, in order to avoid having to go to court for deposition.

I doubt he wanted to bring it down, he just has a massive ego and thought that he could do it better, he also enjoys right wing sycophants blowing smoke up his arse in the name of free speech (which for now seems to extend towards unbanning a bunch of vile transphobes).

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Hmm … sounds like Trump’s Truth Social

Having fired all the Twitter execs responsible for permanently banning DT - then stating DT’s ban should be lifted - I‘m now wondering whether the man who thinks he can create some sort of digital global market square plans to take down Twitter and instead draw up a merger with the man who would see himself as the town crier whose people would follow him there.

Perhaps ‘Titter’ would be a better name than BlueSky - with two of the world’s greatest tits running it, what could go wrong!?
He's still thinking about Trump's return it seems...

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Hmm … sounds like Trump’s Truth Social

Having fired all the Twitter execs responsible for permanently banning DT - then stating DT’s ban should be lifted - I‘m now wondering whether the man who thinks he can create some sort of digital global market square plans to take down Twitter and instead draw up a merger with the man who would see himself as the town crier whose people would follow him there.

Perhaps ‘Titter’ would be a better name than BlueSky - with two of the world’s greatest tits running it, what could go wrong!?
BlueSky Social has no connection to Trump at all.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Bluesky is another Twitter alternative apparently which is in the process of being built and not ready yet. Just think of all the number of websites and organisations documentation that will need to be updated to remove the twitter 'bird' when it dies.
they wont know what platform to jump to. dont think the microblog concept works well if there's multiple platforms, relies on metcalfe's law, everyone in the same place. who's heard or used Mastadon and alternatives until this week?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
what it actually says, is that it is easy to catergorize trump as being more detatched from reality than the taliban,

but i know you need to cuddle up to your agenda, so as you were!

What?

The reality is the Taliban are a brutal oppressive regime and Trump was a democratically elected Politician who in no shape or form undertook actions such as the Taliban do.

You're mental if you argue any other way.

Seems you have some warped agenda going on.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Left Twitter today. I didn’t have many followers but by all accounts many are doing the same thing.

It was already finely balanced in terms of points of view. Since the takeover I’ve witness a lurch towards more unbalanced views.

I won’t miss it.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Enjoying the comments from people on here who have racked up 10's of thousands of posts on NSC and, by their own confession, visit other football message boards, characterizing Twitter as some kind of homogeneous mass. It's just nsc, but bigger, as it's mainly text based communication.

Was watching the whole Musk thing with amusement at first but then realised I would miss it from the social media universe, as words, generally, take precedent over image/video.

Over the years I've pruned my follows, after the all out follow blitz of early days, and now my feed is full of interesting stuff, music, art, things that make me laugh, a tiny smattering of football, and an equally miniscule helping of news. Main gripe with it is seeing what other people follow.
It's introduced me to a lot of new things.

There are some awful people on it, but that's the world and the nature of anonymous internet interaction.

The BBC archive tweets basically make up for any of the shit, and I'll miss seeing stuff like this.

Last edited:

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
One other thing I realised that Musk could end up trashing, is the audience and communities many many small, independent artists, musicians, businesses and whatevers have built up over the years. For some it's a livelihood. Will be very sad for them if it does go down the pan.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
What?

The reality is the Taliban are a brutal oppressive regime and Trump was a democratically elected Politician who in no shape or form undertook actions such as the Taliban do.

You're mental if you argue any other way.

Seems you have some warped agenda going on.
But which one posts/posted the most bullshit?
He was banned for breaking their terms of use. You want to argue that because he was democratically elected as President he should be allowed the platform, but he would still have the platform if he had not been saying that Biden was not democratically elected. If you have a problem with any Taliban Tweets, report them, especially if any of them are a threat to the democratic system of the US, likely to incite riots in the US, or get Twitter sued.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
As a bemused bystander, it appears to me that Mr Musk is starting to find out exactly what it is that he has bought and will learn more over the next few weeks and months.

Always an entertaining stage (from the outside) in acquisitions :wink:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Twitter - likey to implode? Disappear? Cease to exist? A platform for weirdo's to pontificate on snatched sway in an insrant (or maybe slightly longer, just a tad drawn out a bit?)

Despots around the world will be delighted this means for their subjugated populations to voice their opinions freely is being taken away.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

If that is your opinion on Twitter I suggest that if you have used it, you haven't used it in the best way.

- Only follow accounts that write about stuff that interests you.
- "Mute and Block" any accounts that are obnoxious idiots.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
But which one posts/posted the most bullshit?
He was banned for breaking their terms of use. You want to argue that because he was democratically elected as President he should be allowed the platform, but he would still have the platform if he had not been saying that Biden was not democratically elected. If you have a problem with any Taliban Tweets, report them, especially if any of them are a threat to the democratic system of the US, likely to incite riots in the US, or get Twitter sued.

Oh words, yes I forgot how people are so scared of words these days.

You even have clowns saying words are violence.

All politicians lie, Biden has been lying his arse off constantly but Twitter never did anything about that. Nor do the people who would always complain Trump lies seemingly have gone silent over Biden.

Which is fine, it's up to individuals to validate if something is true, not be a total baby and expect someone else to monitor words for them.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
I don't mind Trump back on twitter, most people know he's complete clown but he isn't in a position of great power which comes with great responsibility, he abused that

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Oh words, yes I forgot how people are so scared of words these days.

You even have clowns saying words are violence.

All politicians lie, Biden has been lying his arse off constantly but Twitter never did anything about that. Nor do the people who would always complain Trump lies seemingly have gone silent over Biden.

Which is fine, it's up to individuals to validate if something is true, not be a total baby and expect someone else to monitor words for them.
I think they’re probably more scared of heavily armed QAnon goons turning up at the seat of democracy and trying to kill politicians and security.

TikTok is only words

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't mind Trump back on twitter, most people know he's complete clown but he isn't in a position of great power which comes with great responsibility, he abused that

It shouldn't be down to a popular vote. Either he posts within rules, or doesn't.

I'd like Musk to be banned.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports