Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Electrosensitivity - Real or Not?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Maybe a placebo thing, but I definitely feel I have slept better and wake more refreshed since turning off my wi-fi router and turning on airplane mode on my mobile at night. A few people I've mentioned it to have said the same. The (perhaps cod)-science goes along the lines of the frequencies of such signals interfering with the brain's electromagnetism when entering sleep phases in particular. Some hardcore believers have 'insulated' their bedrooms from other's wi-fi penetration by using aluminium in their walls, floors and ceilings. I too tested what other wi-fi signals were pumping through my bedroom and at least 5 full signals came up, so I am self-skeptical, but maybe just having one less, the nearest one, has made a difference (along with the mobile phone thing).

Fair enough. If you believe it makes a difference you’re not hurting anyone else. I think you’re mistaken but I don’t know enough about it to tell you why.

First world problems eh.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Having worked in around hospitals for nearly 40 years maintaining and repairing a vast array of electrical and electronic equipment it's interesting how seriously the medical world took mobile phone technology and its potential to interfere and possible disruption to medical equipment, that a total ban was in place relating to the use of mobile near to critical equipment within all NHS sites, this was as far as I know with out the slightest bit of evidence I guess it was an early example of fake news maybe the Russians were trying it out along, with the Millennium Bug.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Have you thought about monetising that? I’m serious. There’s got to be at least £10k in it for you from a red top.

Lolz.

No I haven’t. Not much of a story is it?!

Also it’s a known phenomenon:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_light_interference_phenomenon

For the record I do not think it’s psychic power but my increased static properties in other situations do make me think my body produces more electrostatic discharge than it should so maybe it’s that.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Lolz.

No I haven’t. Not much of a story is it?!

Also it’s a known phenomenon:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_light_interference_phenomenon

For the record I do not think it’s psychic power but my increased static properties in other situations do make me think my body produces more electrostatic discharge than it should so maybe it’s that.

I didn’t know it was a known thing, but reading the wiki page, it says that it’s never been proven in a scientific experiment. There’s also lots of stuff about it being guff.

Given you don’t claim to be able to do it with all street lights, and don’t claim that you’re psychic, I’d have thought there would be some scientific interest at least (if not moolah) in demonstrating the effect on the three lights it happens with?

Even if not, as party tricks go, it’s better than my shit smoke rings.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here