Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Electronic Cigarettes

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Just an aside but what are the exact rules regards using them in pubs over here? I saw a woman in a Wetherspoons in Liverpool who was using one and was told by the barstaff she couldn't use them in there. I presume it's up to the pub manager. Bit random though.

It's up to each individual premises. I haven't been stopped in a pub or at work yet. Seems ridiculous to ban them though, being flavoured water, which they basically are, is what we all consume in pubs anyway!

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I've been on a ecig for 6ish months. Made me cough first off but it's different to smoke. Haven't touched a cigarette nor wanted one but I am still getting my nicotine fix. Well, I was, I'm now on the 0mg oil for mine. Have been for a week now, now just need to stop using the device which I shall do when I run out of oil.

It works for a lot of people, try it, if it works then all well and good.

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
I passed the year mark the other day. I gave up cold turkey(2nd time) It is tough but if i can pass on one bit of information then you must read Allen Carr's book.

Just out of interest do you still get cravings? if not when did they start to disappear?

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Just out of interest do you still get cravings? if not when did they start to disappear?

Sorry to butt in (excuse the pun). I still get 2/3 cravings per week ish, they pass in seconds and are not very strong. Certainly not enough to be tempted back. In fact, if I get a waft of smoke up my nose it makes me feel quite Tom and Dick!

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab

Not really sure when they stopped but it was a long time. Maybe a few months 3-4? They didn't last long either. I still get the odd tiny urge in my stomac which is mainly triggered by other smokers or drinking.

It's not the craves i find the hardest but the missing part of it. This goes on much longer. A good benchmark is past the 6 month mark and at 8 i felt comfortable and had it all under control.

Always remember once a smoker always a smoker. Never think you can have one or that you are in the clear. I ****ed up a 2 year quit because i thought i could handle one or two fags while drunk. Next day i brought a pack of ten and that was it because my craves kicked in again and i couldn't handle it.:facepalm:

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
Sorry to butt in (excuse the pun). I still get 2/3 cravings per week ish, they pass in seconds and are not very strong. Certainly not enough to be tempted back. In fact, if I get a waft of smoke up my nose it makes me feel quite Tom and Dick!

How long had you been smokeing? or how many? sorry to ask so many questions but i have been trying to stop for a while now but can only manage a week or so before the cravings become unbearable.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
How long had you been smokeing? or how many? sorry to ask so many questions but i have been trying to stop for a while now but can only manage a week or so before the cravings become unbearable.

20+ per day for 31 years!
I gave up through no other reason than I just got fed up of it dictating my life.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Been using e cgs for a few months. Initially they are a bit strange but now I just have the odd drag when I'm relaxing. Haven't smoked a tobacco fag since I started on em. Feel a LOT better and cravings almost zero now.

Like previous poster says the Government and regulators hate the idea of losing all that lovely tobacco tax so expect increasing hysteria and calls for medical prescription/revenue raising demands.

The irony is that with a million people now converted that's a huge saving for the NHS in a few years time. The government and MHRA should consider the relative health impact of tobacco vs. water vapour inhalation when deciding which product needs tighter regulation.

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
Not really sure when they stopped but it was a long time. Maybe a few months 3-4? They didn't last long either. I still get the odd tiny urge in my stomac which is mainly triggered by other smokers or drinking.

It's not the craves i find the hardest but the missing part of it. This goes on much longer. A good benchmark is past the 6 month mark and at 8 i felt comfortable and had it all under control.

Always remember once a smoker always a smoker. Never think you can have one or that you are in the clear. I ****ed up a 2 year quit because i thought i could handle one or two fags while drunk. Next day i brought a pack of ten and that was it because my craves kicked in again and i couldn't handle it.:facepalm:

God i wished that i never started, but back when i was going out drinking it was the done thing in pubs/clubs, i dont enjoy smoking anymore but cant help myself, got a wife and kids so really want to stop for them!
It is nice to read about people who have managed to quit and gives me more determination to do so myself.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
20+ per day for 31 years!
I gave up through no other reason than I just got fed up of it dictating my life.

That was the main reason why i gave up. I hated the control it had over me. The second reason was i always said i would quit before i hit 40. The last couple of years i hated smoking with a passion. I hated the way i would wheeze and couldn't breath after a night out on the lash. It was affecting me and i knew it.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
That was the main reason why i gave up. I hated the control it had over me. The second reason was i always said i would quit before i hit 40. The last couple of years i hated smoking with a passion. I hated the way i would wheeze and couldn't breath after a night out on the lash. It was affecting me and i knew it.

I'm still shocked at how easy I found it to quit to be honest. Not sure that I could have done it any earlier though. Maybe it was simply just the right time for me.
I had failed a few times after quitting but this time it felt different. My determination to get through the difficult first week made it easier and once I'd got through that week there was no way I was going to smoke again.
Will power really is the key but I think all smokers know that anyway.

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
Cheers. I am very proud of my personal achievement and I'm living proof that it can be done. I'm usually not good at being strong willed ;)

Well i will make a concertive effort to stop soon, so that in a year or two it will be me feeling proud of my achievement!

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Cheers. I am very proud of my personal achievement and I'm living proof that it can be done. I'm usually not good at being strong willed ;)

See that's the problem with people automatically putting seeds of doubts in there heads about not having willpower ;-). Everyone has the strength in them to overcome any obstacle in life.

You surprised yourself didn't you? I personally knew i could win. It was waiting for my epiphany i suppose.

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
Smoked myself for 30 years, hate to admit it, but started at 7yrs old when found my fathers. But like others have said, you will know when it is time to give up. Everytime I am in contact of a smoker the smell is sickening.

[edit] Now given up for 5 years

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
See that's the problem with people automatically putting seeds of doubts in there heads about not having willpower ;-). Everyone has the strength in them to overcome any obstacle in life.

You surprised yourself didn't you? I personally knew i could win. It was waiting for my epiphany i suppose.

That is the whole point. If you want something badly enough, it is possible to conquer it. Just gotta want it badly enough.
Forget excuses just go cold turkey. Using gimmicks is just a poor long winded way of getting the same result. It's far better to get it over and done with. If you can go a week, which is a comparatively short space of time, then you have cracked the hardest part of the challenge and you stand a good chance of succeeding. It's all about the battle of wills and conscious.
Good luck quitters ;)

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton

Completely agree - i ****ed up after 4 an a half years not smoking - was on a staggy an thought i could have just one fag.... now done 6 months off after two an a half back on after the staggy.... you have to want to stop.

thony

Jul 24, 2011
Hollingbury
Has anyone answered the "health" aspect of the question?
My understanding is that smoking real cigarettes means you're inhaling loads of different toxins, whereas eCigs reduce it to just the nicotine - this is still addictive and potentially harmful, but drastically less harmful than the toxin cocktail in the smoke.
As a non-smoker myself, I'm all in favour of smokers using these as a "safer" alternative if they can't (or don't want to) quit, particularly since there's apparently no "secondary smoking" issue as the nicotine dissipates to harmless levels immediately (unlike the other smoke-borne toxins).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here