Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Electrical question (while it's quiet)

HHGull

BZ fan club
Dec 29, 2011
Pretty sure the reason no-one is wiring plugs anymore is it is illegal for manufacturers to sell an electrical item without a pre-wired plug. Not sure where the OP got his from??

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I always used to take the back off another plug and just copy the wiring in that. Endless fun wondering if I was going to blow my hand off when I plugged the new one back in.

Reagulls

Jul 22, 2013
I was taught to wire a plug at school. Some years ago now :)

Yellow/green was earth, brown was live, and blue was neutral. Simple.

The other day we had to wire up an outside light in the back garden. Imagine my surprise when it turns out the wiring is no longer in these colours....
I remember we had to do a drawing....and I've always rembered..
The live brown bear, walks on the yellow green earth under the neutral blue sky.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
There must be a whole generation (possibly two generations) of people who have NEVER changed a plug. Is this skill no longer taught in schools?

im not far off 50,was never taught how to specifically change a plug. I was taught common sense and reasoning though.
i was a self taught plug changer

if you open up two plugs,the one that needs changing and your new one you can without too much brain drain back engineer what needs to be done. I gave this a go and hey presto im a rocket scientist.

should be noted though probably best to flip the on switch with a wooden spoon the first time you try it out, like i do everytime just in case you remember that actually you were never a rocket scientist or even an electrician for that matter

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
unless the house happens to be 1st fixed in conduit and you wire the two way in singles.............................

Only really ever seen that in listed houses or houses with old flint type walls where chasing is impossible but yes obviously only ever run singles in conduit

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here