Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Electric Cars

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
I have a fully EV car with a range of 240 miles in the winter and 300 miles in the summer. Bear in mind driving speed, heating, lights etc have an impact on range

Only rules are:

1. Make sure you have a home charger to charge car overnight at cheaper domestic electricity rates.Don't buy a fully EV car if you can't have a home charger.
2. Plan for long journeys and identify where you can stop to use a RAPID charger. Most public chargers are not rapid and are only suitable for hybrid cars.

Agreed. Had mine for a couple of months now and wish I had switched sooner.

I get 200ish miles on a single charge, which suits as I seldom drive further, and when I do Im ready for a break after that many miles.

Re having a charge point at home. If you don't park on your own drive then EV may not be for you. Home charging is essential.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I’m fortunate enough to get a decent car allowance from my job so get a new car every 2-3 years. Tempted to go EV next as didn’t quite stack up at the time of my last one.

Given the component shortages across the car industry it’ll be interesting to see what happens to prices when we come out the other side. On a lease model equivalent EV models are about 12-15% higher, need to look at my fuel spends to see how it compares.

That said seeing some horror stories about EV charging point prices at the moment which is an eye opener. And a lot of unhappy Tesla owners now Tesla have opened up their charging network to anyone

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016
Synthetic Efuel is just around the corner, that will be another option and a much greener option than fossil fuels, but I absolutely dread to think what they’ll charge us for that !!!!!

I think the market has already dictated the next generation of drive train for the masses. And its electric.

Any new tech looking to usurp EV is already too late.

Too much has now been invested by the major car manufacturers, they ain't going to switch again any time soon.

With the phasing out of petrol car sales in 8 years, we're likely to see less and less investment in petrol cars and prices of electrics will begin to fall to similar levels of i.c.e. powered well before then.

Synthetic fuel will be sold at a premium for those with ice engined classics.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I think the market has already dictated the next generation of drive train for the masses. And its electric.

Any new tech looking to usurp EV is already too late.

Too much has now been invested by the major car manufacturers, they ain't going to switch again any time soon.

worse, we're regulating to prohibit alternatives. in theory synthetic fuels would work with existing ICE unchange or remapped at most. expect this will be future for aircraft though.

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016
worse, we're regulating to prohibit alternatives. in theory synthetic fuels would work with existing ICE unchange or remapped at most. expect this will be future for aircraft though.

Classic car enthusiasts and hard-core petrol heads will be fuming.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Range and lack of charging infrastructure are the main reasons that at the moment mean I will not be taking the plunge having said that I will be keeping an eye open in 2023 Tesla are saying they intend to bring to market a £20,000 car which should have good range and very fast charging if you can find a super charger.

The Government provide grants for new zero emissions cars To be eligible the car must have a recommended retail price (RRP) of less than £32,000, including VAT and delivery fees giving £1,500 off any new price.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
No interest in electric cars until they have improved a lot . At the moment they remind me of a noddy car .

• Haha
Reactions: GOM

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
My next car will definitely be an EV, probably in 2-3 years. At present I have a Yaris Hybrid, it's fairly economical, giving me 50-60 mpg, but not great.
I reckon I do 5000 miles a year, including a couple of trips to Devon so I'm spending 600-700 a year on petrol.

I'm going to wait until the Dacia Spring goes on sale here and see what the Chinese cars (in the pipeline) are coming in at.
If the Dacia does come on sale here priced at under £11k, it's going to knock the arse out of the second-hand market for Leafs/Zoes (another good reason to wait IMO)

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
No interest in electric cars until they have improved a lot . At the moment they remind me of a noddy car .

I can see you’ve just finished learning about the Sinclair C5 on Tomorrow’s World. The future is going to amaze you.

Some manufacturers have for years now made electric equivalents of their petrol models, so the cars are often exactly the same as their combustion engines counterparts. Off the top of my head:

Volkswagen e-Golf
Kia Nero and Kia Soul
Hyundai Kona
Peugeot 208/2008
MG ZS
Fiat 500
Mini (hatch)
BMW 4 series

All are or were available with electric power trains or combustion engines. (The electric Golf has subsequently been replaced by the ID3)

It is time to put down your Psion personal organiser and join us in 2022.

Reactions: GOM

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It's already been shown that the total cost of ownership for an EV across multiple years of ownership is better with an EV than an ICE. You pay more for the EV up-front...........

Yes, and what many people seem unable to get their heads round, Boris Johnson-like, is that for many of us mere plebs the £30K initial starter stake in the new shiney green uplands is something that hasn't been made avilable to us, hard working people and benefit scroungers alike.

Over to you, clever people!

Last edited:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Yes, and what many people seem unable to get their heads round, Boris Johnson-like, is that for many of us mere plebs the £30K initial starter stake in the new shiney green uplands is something that hasn't been made avilable to us, hard working people and benefit scroungers alike.

Over to you,clever people!

PCP
PCH
Lease
Loan to Buy

Can get an MG 5 for £2400 down, £253 a month.

Or Nissan Leaf for £2400 down, £250 a month

Vauxhall Corsa for £603 down, £300 a month.

Hyundai Ioniq for £3400 down, £265 a month

Given the shortages these deals are not even that good, but gives you an [emoji362]

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Zefarelly, yesterday:

0_Stock-image-of-a-Flintshire-Council-road-sweeper-Hampton-residents-miss-Terry-cleaning-their-streets.jpg

Mine's got a few more mirrors, 8 lights ( solar powered). And my high viz is 3 buttons, ticket pocket, AND side vents. 5" long, obvs.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Price is definitely an issue. I've been driving since 1986 and have spent, in total, just over £20k on buying my 5 cars. One electric one would cost more than that and it wouldn't give me 36 years' driving. And the electric saving over petrol would get nowhere near covering the difference.

Once they’ve got a 4th or 5th hand market going ..I MIGHT afford to be interested

Last edited:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Er, in what way. Most of them look like their ICE equivalents. You can't be talking about performance obviously so I don't quite follow your sweeping statement.

I had a bit of a chuckle myself. . . From an equivalence point of view there is a long way to go . . . .but we're a way off electric boy racer world.

Some of the electric variations loose their grille, traditionally one of the most identifiable features of an oncoming car . . .

Sound/noise is another one . . . . As someone who has raced I've heard the noisiest things on the planet which isn't pleasant. I've also heard the most beautiful mechanical noises . . . . Electric . . . R2D2 having a piss is a good one, the rest just annoy cats and run things own that don't look.

When someone comes up with the equivalent of an XR3i or a lotus Cortina, that kind of thing . . . Then the tide will turn . . . Something that appeals to car people, not hippies and religious freaks

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
I have had a VW iD4 on order since January original delivery should have been July, then went back to Sept, then Nov now JAn 23....will I ever see it?

will not try an Amex trip in it will stick to the diesel for that...240 miles round trip.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here