Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Electric Cars

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I had a long list of Chinese EV companies ready to go, but then I found this site. It shows:

1. The sheer number of Chinese companies that already have entered the European market, and
2. How the UK is not at the top of the table (probably due to our RHD requirements).

View attachment 172935
Not sure when that table dates from but BYD is very much in the UK – up to three models and counting! Xpeng on its way next year, apparently. A lot of people are concerned (some of it justified, some of it not) about the Chinese taking over but, from my own experience, the cars are decent and on a par with their European equivalents.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Not sure when that table dates from but BYD is very much in the UK – up to three models and counting! Xpeng on its way next year, apparently. A lot of people are concerned (some of it justified, some of it not) about the Chinese taking over but, from my own experience, the cars are decent and on a par with their European equivalents.
MG cars are owned and made exclusively in China and MG are a top seller in the UK, and have been selling into the UK for 4 or 5 years already, with no problems.

There newest model the MG4 is one of the best value cars on the road, at least until the other Chinese companies join in!

The 'old' view that China only produce low quality products doesn't apply these days, especially on top end goods, such as cars, drones, solar products.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
An 'interesting' experience driving my Tesla 3 yesterday morning in -5.

The cold conditions prompted the car to disable the regenerative braking feature - indicated by a symbol on the display screen which I hadn't noticed. It certainly makes for a completely different driving experience - and not in an especially good way. Still love the car though.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
An 'interesting' experience driving my Tesla 3 yesterday morning in -5.

The cold conditions prompted the car to disable the regenerative braking feature - indicated by a symbol on the display screen which I hadn't noticed. It certainly makes for a completely different driving experience - and not in an especially good way. Still love the car though.
Yes, I got a text from the wife yesterday asking what the new symbol on the dash was. I had to look it up to work out is was to show that regen braking was degraded.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
This symbol

regen no.PNG

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Yes, I got a text from the wife yesterday asking what the new symbol on the dash was. I had to look it up to work out is was to show that regen braking was degraded.
Similarly, I had no idea what the symbol meant. However, if you tap the symbol, it brings up a dialogue box on the screen that explains that you are now strapped into a 2-tonne guided missile that no longer feels especially like slowing down if you reduce acceleration. I'm pretty sure this is what it says - I had to be quick as I was heading towards a hedge at the time.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I love the fact you can set an electric car to warm up and clear the windows via an app. Makes the morning commute a dream

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I love the fact you can set an electric car to warm up and clear the windows via an app. Makes the morning commute a dream
Yep. My wife is using the Tesla for her drive to work at the moment, and it's scheduled to be ready for her at 8:15. This morning at 7:55 it was -5c in the car (the app told me) and by 8:14 it was 20c with the heated seat and steering wheel on, frost cleared. Lovely.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Can do that in my non electric car (except heated seats) !

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

I presume if you leave it on charge at the same time you don't lose any range?

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I presume if you leave it on charge at the same time you don't lose any range?
It's charging cycle has already finished by that time as it set to charge when electricity is at it's cheapest. It takes about 5 minutes to go from freezing to warm and windows clear though so wouldn't use much battery.

Also because of it's range and our use we only charge it once a week, we get at least 250 miles to a charge, when its warmer closer to 300

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Yep. My wife is using the Tesla for her drive to work at the moment, and it's scheduled to be ready for her at 8:15. This morning at 7:55 it was -5c in the car (the app told me) and by 8:14 it was 20c with the heated seat and steering wheel on, frost cleared. Lovely.
We've got a skoda which heats up very quickly but the App is a bit rubbish. The car is incredible and you don't really feel like you're driving an electric car apart from how quiet it is. In terms of trim and cabin space it feels like a regular car.

Best thing we ever did going electric, I always smile when the flat earthers are slagging off EV's on facebook, we spend a maximum of £40 a month on energy for around 800 miles and we lease so not concerned about depreciation.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It's charging cycle has already finished by that time as it set to charge when electricity is at it's cheapest. It takes about 5 minutes to go from freezing to warm and windows clear though so wouldn't use much battery.

Also because of it's range and our use we only charge it once a week, we get at least 250 miles to a charge, when its warmer closer to 300
Same here. Our cheap rate electricity is between 23:30 and 05:30 and our Osprey charger is integrated with the Octopus tariff, so it will only charge at the cheap 7.5p/kwh rate.

The small amount of power we use to warm it up every morning is insignificant.

Before I had the EV I expected I'd be very careful how I drive and would be constantly monitoring my miles / kwh and range etc. I don't do that at all, particularly as 99% of our journeys are less than 15 miles. On the occasions I've driven it further (Falmouth twice, Northampton, Stoke etc) obviously the range becomes a factor and charging stops are part of the plan.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Same here. Our cheap rate electricity is between 23:30 and 05:30 and our Osprey charger is integrated with the Octopus tariff, so it will only charge at the cheap 7.5p/kwh rate.

The small amount of power we use to warm it up every morning is insignificant.

Before I had the EV I expected I'd be very careful how I drive and would be constantly monitoring my miles / kwh and range etc. I don't do that at all, particularly as 99% of our journeys are less than 15 miles. On the occasions I've driven it further (Falmouth twice, Northampton, Stoke etc) obviously the range becomes a factor and charging stops are part of the plan.
We use octopus too, once you've gone through initial faff it's seamless!

80% charge get's me to Brighton and back easily (200 miles) on the rare occasion we need to charge the service station chargers normally take about the same amount of time it takes us to have a coffee and use the loos.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
We use octopus too, once you've gone through initial faff it's seamless!

80% charge get's me to Brighton and back easily (200 miles) on the rare occasion we need to charge the service station chargers normally take about the same amount of time it takes us to have a coffee and use the loos.
We're doing Burnley in April so will be interested to see if we can make it on a single charge (287 miles)

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Any recommendations for the best companies to lease from?
We do it through a company, salary sacrifice scheme so not sure. I know the lease deals are quite expensive though.

A little tip though, if you enquire via BMW they will lend you a car for a week free or charge, great way to see how you'd get on with one. We just charged it at the supermarket when it was low on charge.

May 25, 2023
Croydon
MG cars are owned and made exclusively in China and MG are a top seller in the UK, and have been selling into the UK for 4 or 5 years already, with no problems.

There newest model the MG4 is one of the best value cars on the road, at least until the other Chinese companies join in!

The 'old' view that China only produce low quality products doesn't apply these days, especially on top end goods, such as cars, drones, solar products.
The MG4 looks like very good value if you are intending to buy a new EV. The Xpower has very swift acceleration for a good price (not much more than a basic Renault Zoe). Although that said I am not really intending to buy an EV any time soon, my nearly 4 year old petrol car will suffice for now given that I am not really driving very much at all right now.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

You say that, but some of the aftersales/delivery stuff I saw online from early last year was pretty damning. I know it was around the time of component shortages and the like, but they still have work to be done. Great car though, the MG4 – won a tonne of awards, including UK Car of the Year 2023 :thumbsup:

For some, the poor quality tag will stick with Chinese brands to some people – much like it did with Skoda for WAY too long, back in the day. What's funny is that some Brexit-y people still think they are 'buying British' when they choose MG :lolol: And MG CERTAINLY doesn't like to make a big thing about the fact that it is Chinese-owned. I was personally made aware of that in no uncertain terms when I was deemed to have crossed a line!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here