Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Electoral reform needed now

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
The more the SNP use language like 'Ending Austerity' and 'more money for Scotland' etc etc, it will unfortunately strengthen the story grip on the rest of the Country. This is hopefully the beginning of the End of Scotland in the UK and I just hope they mind the door doesn't smack them on their sweaty arses on the way out.
The Tories won because most of England was worried about a Labour SNP pack and the Lib dems lost a lot of voters back to the Tories for the same reason. I can't see any of this changing until the SNP go back to Scotland with their independence. But, considering their economic model was designed on oil being over $100 a barrel and upward, they might think they are in a better position being in the UK and have 50odd MP's.
We are in a bit of a state here.

Yoda

English & European
That is a very interesting stat. Wherever those votes were, it appears most were not in the 20 or so most marginal seats.

Here's another.

For the 2010 election, at least 59% of those that voted wanted either the Tories or Lib Dems to govern the Country.

This time around, 63% didn't want the Tories.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Votes needed to win one seat:

SNP 25,972
Conservative 34,244
Labour 40,277
LibDems 301,986
Greens 1,157,613
UKIP 3,881,129

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

SNP 25,972
Conservative 34,244
Labour 40,277
LibDems 301,986
Greens 1,157,613
UKIP 3,881,129

if those figures are correct and i'm not disputing them at all , it makes a bit of a mockery of the whole process doesn't it...???

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Point of order. Only Herr Tubthumper is allowed to comment on what does / doesn't happen in Germany.

Apologies to Herr Tubthumper, but I was afraid he might miss this very salient point. I feel there is an unfair weight of expectations on his shoulders.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Proportional representation at a local level can enhance the democratic process in my opinion - at a national level it merely supports the real scourge of democracy, the party system.

Why should votes placed in one constituency be used as an argument to support the view that more, (or fewer), members of a particular party should have a voice in Parliament? The basis of our democracy is that we vote for an individual to represent us - the person we vote for may belong to a particular party but that doesn't give other members of that party any right to our vote.

So what if 4 million votes were cast for individuals who were UKIP members - that is irrelevant - the important and deciding factor is that apart from in one constituency those who stood for election and were members of UKIP were judged by those entitled to vote for them as inferior in their ability to represent them than the candidate who was elected. All that proportional representation achieves is to ensure that candidates who aren't supported by the majority of voters get the same right to vote in Parliament as those who are - that is NOT democracy!

We've had this same argument over the number of women MPs, the number of MPs who are from the ethnic minorities, disabled, gay community etc. The answer to 'fairer representation is not to change the voting system but to put forward better candidates.

I live in an area, as do the majority of us in this country, where candidates from a particular party will invariably get elected no matter how good or bad they may be. The only democratic solution to this would be to separate party affiliations from the campaign process - the first step in my opinion should be to remove their party membership details from ballot slips - there is no more reason for a candidates party to appear on these slips than there is for their gender, sexuality or race.

What proportional representation would look like based on current results:

Conservatives 237
Labour 200
UKIP 81
Lib Dem 51
SNP 32
Green 25

One of the consequences of proportional representation might easily be the restructuring of the two political parties who have benefitted historically from the first past the post system. The result might be this:-

Pro-Europe Conservative 158
Centre Left Labour 133
UKIP 81
Eurosceptic Conservative 79
Left Labour 67
Lib Dem 51
SNP 32
Green 25

Make a coalition out of that !

Weatherman

Jun 10, 2008
But this result is also democracy. It's not democracy/not democracy, black/white; but just different versions of it. Under this particular system it's just not about how many votes you get nationally; never has been.

Personally, I really don't mind having vile lowlife scumbags like UKIP kept out by an electoral system whose criteria they, lest we forget, have NOT met - just because a significant number of twisted f**kers spread thinly throughout the country are mad enough to favour them. It's also not without precedent for an electoral system to have restrictions in place to keep the extremists out: Germany has exactly that spelled out in its Basic Law, for instance.

I think they may actually now fade a bit, especially if Farage is really a goner. Some individuals seem simply to have liked him, in a way that they simply haven't likedMiliband. Takes all sorts I guess.

The real scumbags in this country are the ones who resort to vile abuse of others who don't agree with their views..........the left wingers in particular.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
PR
and a legal requirement to vote as it is in Australia

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

SNP 25,972
Conservative 34,244
Labour 40,277
LibDems 301,986
Greens 1,157,613
UKIP 3,881,129

this is a nonsence, based on extrapolating national votes to numbers of seats. some seats return a majority on mid teens, if the vote is split many ways. would you want a system where the candidate shouldnt win because they havent won enough votes, they should have to get, say 25k votes? and what about the different size of the constituencies? theres 10-15k difference between many, 45k at the extreme. need to start there i think.

end of day, if you want to talk reform, it needs to be root and branch of the whole system, not focusing on the apparent discrepencies from comparing local and national numbers.

and i'd agree with Lord B's point, if we had full PR we'd certainly see the major parties split. you may very well find a permenent left or permenant right bloc emerge out of that, then we're back to "my vote doesnt count".

Last edited:

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
Have the house of lords as PR. We should really be electing our upper house, to hold the lower house acountable.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
One of the consequences of proportional representation might easily be the restructuring of the two political parties who have benefitted historically from the first past the post system. The result might be this:-

Pro-Europe Conservative 158
Centre Left Labour 133
UKIP 81
Eurosceptic Conservative 79
Left Labour 67
Lib Dem 51
SNP 32
Green 25

Make a coalition out of that !
Sounds good. Best argument for PR that I've seen yet.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
The real scumbags in this country are the ones who resort to vile abuse of others who don't agree with their views..........the left wingers in particular.

Why single out left-wingers? Doesn't the UKIP candidate who threatened to shoot his asian opponent between the eyes if he ever became prime minister count? or the EDL? or the BNP?

Weatherman

Jun 10, 2008
Why single out left-wingers? Doesn't the UKIP candidate who threatened to shoot his asian opponent between the eyes if he ever became prime minister count? or the EDL? or the BNP?

I wouldn't verbally abuse anyone for the way they've voted. It's the hypocrites with obvious leftist leanings who show their intolerance.
Being concerned about the future impact of uncontrolled immigration and the ever increasing cost and power of the EU doesn't make me a twisted f__cker for voting UKIP who i think are the only party who would deal with these issues and there seem to be plenty more who share this view.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Replacing one flawed system with another is not the answer. If we had PR today we would either have a Conservative/UKIP government with Farage and in the Cabinet or the unholy alliance of 'not the right' with Milband as PM after losing net 26 seats. Can't see how that is any more democratic than what we have now.

Problem with PR is that it reverses the problem; Yes, minor parties have too little influence in FPTP but they get too much as the marginal part(ies) in PR. Voteres end up with a mash mash of compromised policies that no-one voted for (as we have had for five years). Law of Unintended Consequences applies.

I saw on the BBC that if votes were under PR it would have been a Conservative/UKIP Government.

Changing the system wouldn't improve it, it would just be different, and there will obviously always be pecentage of voters who are disappointed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here