Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Election - Why oh why oh why? Please enlighten me.

sahel

Jan 24, 2014
I can't understand how anyone with a shred of humanity can vote Conservative.
I can't understand why so many people think a party that has turned the country into recession several times, sold off our utilities and housing and did absolutely nothing with a massive north sea oil boom and right up to the eve of the banking crisis was calling for less regulation is to be trusted on the economy.
I take that back, if you are worth many millions and are an avaricious sociopath I almost get it

Well said. The stupidity and ignorance of his opening statement answers his own question

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Ah, another thread that is turning into :

Labour - if you vote Labour then you're financially incompetent
Tory - if you vote Tory then you're evil
Green - if you vote Green then you're an out of touch hipster
Lib Dem - if you vote Lib Dem then you're a liar
UKIP - if you vote UKIP then you're racist
SNP - if you vote SNP then you're, well, Scottish

Can we not agree that people should vote for a party that best matches their beliefs and it doesn't make them financially incompetent, evil, an out of touch hipster, a liar, a racist or Scottish ( OK, the last one maybe ) ? Or is something as intelligent as this too difficult ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Can we not agree that people should vote for a party that best matches their beliefs and it doesn't make them financially incompetent, evil, an out of touch hipster, a liar, a racist or Scottish ( OK, the last one maybe ) ? Or is something as intelligent as this too difficult ?

Not all UKIP supporters are racist. Some are clowns.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014

I'm absolutely NOT racist but we need to sort out these foreigners!

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Why would anyone vote Labour when the man who would be Chancellor TWICE bounced a cheque on a tradesperson he had employed. Ed Balls cannot run his own finances, let alone the nations economy!

Of course, there are plenty of dirty tricks stories you can throw about.

For example, how about the Tories accepting cash donations from Lycamobile when they don't pay any tax into the exchequer? http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/05/29/lycamobile-donations-tories-tax_n_5409793.html

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Perhaps we can burst this bubble once and for all.

In 2007 Mr George Osborne said government spending under the Conservatives would rise from £615bn next year to £674bn in 2010/11. He was proposing larger public spending increases than Labour.

Why? Because the Tories expected the economy to grow faster than public spending.

Public spending accounted for about 40 per cent of gross domestic product during Margaret Thatcher’s years as prime minister. Under John Major it was 38 per cent; since 2010 it has been almost 41 per cent. Under Tony Blair and Gordon Brown, the figure was 37 per cent. Fact.

Labour did not foresee the GLOBAL financial crash. Nor did they create it. All governments and politicians created it and that's the lesson we hope they have all learned.

Had the crash happened under the Tory watch, then the question is this: would there have been a Tory with the strength of character to propose and back a quantitative easy programme?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6975536.stm

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I can understand peeps voting lib dem, voting UkIP , voting greens, voting for independants, voting for the tories, even SNP, but why oh why oh why would anyone in their right mind ever ever ever again vote labour . Their record of bringing this country to its knees over and over again is testament that sentiment and good hearts do not cut it when it comes to running a solid economic and socially cohesive society.
Give me strength that they even have the audacity to stand at this election after the mess they created previously and that the tories have been hamstrung by in trying to turm Britain back into Great Britain.

Labour voters indoctrinate their children.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
I can understand peeps voting lib dem, voting UkIP , voting greens, voting for independants, voting for the tories, even SNP, but why oh why oh why would anyone in their right mind ever ever ever again vote labour . Their record of bringing this country to its knees over and over again is testament that sentiment and good hearts do not cut it when it comes to running a solid economic and socially cohesive society.
Give me strength that they even have the audacity to stand at this election after the mess they created previously and that the tories have been hamstrung by in trying to turm Britain back into Great Britain.

Because they don't have the required brain cells to make an informed decision.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I do believe it was actually the BANKS, that ruined this (and other) countries..

Not strictly true... what the banks did was crash the credit market so that it became extremely difficult to borrow money (they were able to do this because successive governments throughout the Western world allowed derivative and debt markets to go virtually unregulated .. because the products traded on these markets were so complex only a handful of people actually understood them and none of those people were in government! The market woke up to the fact that the products sold were considerably less attractive than the hype had made them look and the market lost confidence). If no one was in any debt then a collapse of the credit market would have been relatively insignificant.

Our government at the time and most of the governments of the Western world relied on debt markets because, frankly, they were all massively overspending. When you are up to your eyeballs in debt and no one will lend you any more then you are going to go bankrupt and that is what happened, almost on a global scale. Even those prudent countries who weren't borrowing like idiots were caught in the collapse of the countries that bought their goods and service - hence what should have been a 'self regulating' market hiccup became a national issue and then an international problem until finally it was a global catastrophe.

The Banks were not responsible for the governments' over spending & debt and the governments were not responsible for the collapse of the debt market (although there were partially culpable by deregulating too far).

Don't believe the right wing clap trap that Labour caused the crash, and don't believe the left wing bo11ocks that the Banks caused the recession.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Just remember who sold all the gold

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
Because if the conservatives always get in it's not really democracy, is it? People like a change.

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003

You've got us there with your political insight.....facts are fact right? http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/11/21/uk-borrowing-_n_4316084.html

el punal

Never mind chaps, it will all be over in a couple of days! Then you can concentrate on the important issues of the day like who are we going to sign and when, will the catering improve, does Barber know what he's doing, why doesn't Bloom put £300 million into the transfer budget and what's that big hole in the car park? The list is endless . . . .

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
I notice a lot of replies basically saying just why that individual hates (and I use that word deliberately) the Tories....but I haven't seen a single one yet as to the reasons why anyone should vote Labour?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I notice a lot of replies basically saying just why that individual hates (and I use that word deliberately) the Tories....but I haven't seen a single one yet as to the reasons why anyone should vote Labour?

Wanting to rid the country of the incumbent government if you hate them, IS as valid a reason to vote for the opposition as any.

But...in the spirit your question was meant, I'll add "because in my opinion they are the most likely to protect the NHS and our other much threatened public services".

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
Just remember who sold all the gold

Just remember who sold all the electricity, gas, water, social housing, Post Office, railways, oil, and British Airways. Apologies for anything that I might have missed as there's so fecking many of them. :rolleyes:

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
Just remember who sold all the electricity, gas, water, social housing, Post Office, railways, oil, and British Airways. Apologies for anything that I might have missed as there's so fecking many of them. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, British Telecom. I forgot that one for starters! :dunce:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Labour are far less likely to make important economic mistakes than the Tories.

Let's examine the evidence. On the Tory watch:
Dr Beeching branch line cuts
Privatising the trains
Dismantling of the coal industry
Dismantling of the steel industry

On Labour's watch:
Selling off gold reserves

Yes, public spending is supposedly higher under Labour but this isn't a calamitous mistake. The Tories just shout about it so that enough people believe it. Even though the deficit has shot up still further under the coalition, it is still miniscule compared to GDP and compared to historical levels.

And this of course. The Tories have a history of selling off the nations assets, which along with the regressive tax systems they seem to prefer, ensures that distribution of wealth gets ever wider. And of course leaves the nation with no assets. It's not even as if the Tories stop at privatising industries where real competition can drive down prices and drive up quality. They'll privatise anything for a fast buck.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Not too mention the great Tory recessions of 1980-81, 1990-92 and of course Gideon and Dave's double dip this term. Since 1980 the conservatives have been the party that has sold off the family silver, used the north sea oil money to finance mass unemployment and wreck manufacturing industry with crippling recessions as well as stoking up a property bubble which means that most people under the age of 30 are unlikely to be able to afford their own home. Quite the track record of economic competence. Still at least we now play host to a record number of foreign billionaires and tax-dodging corporations who can get away with paying wages so low they get subsidised by the state. Yep those guys really know what they are doing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here