Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Election 2010 - The election that everyone lost.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
The Labour party lost 85+ seats and nationally were roundly thumped into second place behind their arch enemies being around 60 seats and probably 1 and 2 million votes behind the Conservatives. They have no mandate to govern from the people's national vote at all, and can only potentially cling on to power by offering the techincality that because Gordon Brown is the sitting PM they get the first shot at trying to form a co-alition. But all they need to do is the maths in that even if they try to cobble a pact with any Lib Dem support the (Lib-Lab pact) still won't have a majority in the house.

The Conservative party, 6 months ago seemed to be heading for a comfortable majority are some way short of that target, even with Unionist support from NI they are not going to have enough seats in the house to get any legislation comfortably through. Will they even attempt to govern or would their best bet be to try to force another election.

The Lib Dem party, well out of the main parties they probably did the worst of all. This was their breakthrpugh election, Cleggmania has swept us all and delivered er... a worse result than the previous election. I guess people started looking at Nick Clegg's party's policies and thought hang on a minute I am not so sure about this.

The SNP, UKIP and the BNP last night made virtually zero impact on the electorate and therefore all had bad nights.

But the biggest losers tonight are us the British people, the big problem this country faces is the economic situation (and I hope I am wrong but maybe crisis shortly) we face in the next few months. Instead of concentrating on that our politicians are going to be doing political deals and chicanery to get the best interests that suits them and not our country.

PS. There were actually two winners last night. One was the Greens, the other were political commentators whom will be getting massive overtime bonuses for all the political commenating about behind doors deals etc. over the next few weeks and probably for their coverage of the next election we will have to have in the next 12 months.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Entirely agree Simster. An election without any winners. Brown must go, Cameron must be embarrassed, Clegg must be in tears.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
What it shows is that despite all these rabid cries for 'change', the British public was in the end too scared to vote for it. Hence they voted Tory or Labour as always and screwed it up for the rest of us.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
What it shows is that despite all these rabid cries for 'change', the British public was in the end too scared to vote for it. Hence they voted Tory or Labour as always and screwed it up for the rest of us.

I blame all the people who voted based on a historical 20 year old view of these 3 modern parties....blinkered voters are what sunk the change this country needs...

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
The Labour party lost 85+ seats and nationally were roundly thumped into second place behind their arch enemies being around 60 seats and probably 1 and 2 million votes behind the Conservatives. They have no mandate to govern from the people's national vote at all, and can only potentially cling on to power by offering the techincality that because Gordon Brown is the sitting PM they get the first shot at trying to form a co-alition. But all they need to do is the maths in that even if they try to cobble a pact with any Lib Dem support the (Lib-Lab pact) still won't have a majority in the house.

The Conservative party, 6 months ago seemed to be heading for a comfortable majority are some way short of that target, even with Unionist support from NI they are not going to have enough seats in the house to get any legislation comfortably through. Will they even attempt to govern or would their best bet be to try to force another election.

The Lib Dem party, well out of the main parties they probably did the worst of all. This was their breakthrpugh election, Cleggmania has swept us all and delivered er... a worse result than the previous election. I guess people started looking at Nick Clegg's party's policies and thought hang on a minute I am not so sure about this.

The SNP, UKIP and the BNP last night made virtually zero impact on the electorate and therefore all had bad nights.

But the biggest losers tonight are us the British people, the big problem this country faces is the economic situation (and I hope I am wrong but maybe crisis shortly) we face in the next few months. Instead of concentrating on that our politicians are going to be doing political deals and chicanery to get the best interests that suits them and not our country.

PS. There were actually two winners last night. One was the Greens, the other were political commentators whom will be getting massive overtime bonuses for all the political commenating about behind doors deals etc. over the next few weeks and probably for their coverage of the next election we will have to have in the next 12 months.

Excellent summary. It feels like a 0-0 draw after extra time with both sides and the supporters exhausted but not even the chance of penalties.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Two thirds of seats are safe.

Therefore, the British people get what a third of it's people decide, and that usually means a government with a third of the popular vote.

An absolute gash way of going about things in anything other than a two party system. Electoral reform please.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Two thirds of seats are safe.

Therefore, the British people get what a third of it's people decide, and that usually means a government with a third of the popular vote.

An absolute gash of going about things in anything other than a two party system. Electoral reform please.

Quite agree

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As has just been said on BBC by David Steele a Labour/Lib Dem coalition will still not have a majority but a Conservative/Lib Dem would and I think that the Lib Dem s should side with the party that has the largest number of seats and also the largest % of votes.

There is no question about it Gordon Brown should resign he has lost the election although it could be argued that David Cameron hasnt won it.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
oh and I blame those people who were to f*&^ing lazy to vote.... they should be ashamed...

Thousands of people in the world have and would die to have the chance to vote yet something like 35% of those ENTITLED to vote in this country don't.

Although what really sums this country up at the moment is the fact that those people in charge of running an election were useless yesterday.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
As has just been said on BBC by David Steele a Labour/Lib Dem coalition will still not have a majority but a Conservative/Lib Dem would and I think that the Lib Dem s should side with the party that has the largest number of seats and also the largest % of votes.

There is no question about it Gordon Brown should resign he has lost the election although it could be argued that David Cameron hasnt won it.

Nope the maths doesn't even add up for a Lib/Lab pact, it has to be a Lib/Lab/SNP/Plaid Cymru/SDLP/Green old uncle tom cobbly and all pact and yet also on the other hand the Conservative/Unionist pact doesn't add up either. The seats in respect of Con/Unionist v Lib/Lab pact are almost identical!

The realistic workable pact based on maths only is the Con/Lib pact, but I can't see the Lib Dems buying this. We will now face however long going through political bullshit and horsetrading until it all breaks down and the only option available is to have another election.

While all the times the markets see our massive debt and see the political inertia and that nothing politically will be agreed to reduce this. Some people wanted a hung parliament, well they have their wish, we will see what happens.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here