Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

El-Abd is urged to sign Albion deal

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Its a well known fact that lots of players have their contracts up for renewal. Its news when they sign them, and its news when they don't sign them. They're all just in the process of being sorted out. DK hardly said anything outrageous last week when confirming who's signed and who hasn't, and it was in the context of confirming a couple of other players had signed theirs.

"It has been on the table for some time and we hope he signs it soon". Only if you're a DRAMA QUEEN like BigGully does this remark get twisted into a bitter, inflamatory, outrageous attack on AEA by the chairman.

Its ongoing. So what ? Won't be the first, won't be the last. Blimey, BigGully must be an Argus headline-writers wet dream, reading ALL KINDS of conspiracy and murk into the most innocuous quotes. They don't even need to spin the story, he's off into la-la land with it already, recoiling in horror at the savage attack on poor Adam, and now I suppose El Abd is BLASTING BACK at Dick, eh ?

Sheesh.

Adam El-Abd insists he is not holding Albion to ransom as he considers the club's offer of a new two-year contract.

The Seagulls utility player says he has not put pen to paper yet because of fitness and family concerns.

El-Abd's current two-and-a-half year deal expires at the end of the season.

In a statement issued by the club last week, chairman Dick Knight turned up the heat by stating an offer had been on the table for "some time", adding: "we hope he signs it soon".

El-Abd, sidelined by a knee injury since last month's defeat at Huddersfield, said: "I can confirm there was a fair offer made by the club.

"I am aware the perception is that the reason I haven't got back to Brighton is due to financial terms, which is totally incorrect.

"The first reason I haven't got back to them is due to the fact that I have been rehabilitating from my injury.

"I have been focusing on trying to get myself back fit to help the boys in the last-ditch push for the play-offs.

"The second reason is because I have got lots to consider at the moment. My girlfriend is pregnant with our first baby, so the decision is not totally down to me - I have got a family to consider.

"I want everybody to know that I am totally committed to Brighton and I want to get my knee right and ready for the end of the season."

Albion will make a late decision on the fitness of Nicky Forster ahead of Saturday's clash with Hartlepool. The skipper and 19-goal top scorer was still unable to train yesterday after missing last Saturday's 2-1 win at Luton with a knee injury.

Matt Richards (hamstring) and Joel Lynch (calf) have both resumed training. Former Seagull Richard Barker is still sidelined for Hartlepool by a hamstring problem.

What's your view on the El-Abd contract situation?

My view is that 'people' are trying too hard to read between lines or make pointed political implications about a very simple and down to earth situation.
Dick Knight has candidly answered a question and his reply does NOT suggest anything sinister or backhanded, no malice or sting in the tail. However long the deal has been "on the table", DK like anyone else who is a fan of he player (inc yours truly), hopes he signs it soon.
What's the big deal about that? A kind of statement that expresses also that he appreciates the player (otherwise he probably wouldn't be offering a deal!) and is encouraging to the player.

When asked, Adam has answered with his similarly candid and simple reply, which explains why he hasn't yet sat down to a file of paperwork, read it like any sensible person would beforehand, and autographed it.

I have to admit, I too am fairly slow about sitting down to read paperwork, and often leave my taxes and bills to the last minutes.
I wonder what that says to the taxman? The electricity people make their position pretty clear if I forget, and the council-tax people are REALLY emphatic if I forget!
Bloody henpeckers, big brother state, bullying overlords, nazis :rant:

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
From what I understand he is already on £100k a year so he must be one of the higher earners before his contract improvement negotiations

And do you really believe that? With gates of appx 5k do you think that the club can afford to pay players appx £2k pw?

Its a well known fact that lots of players have their contracts up for renewal. Its news when they sign them, and its news when they don't sign them. They're all just in the process of being sorted out. DK hardly said anything outrageous last week when confirming who's signed and who hasn't, and it was in the context of confirming a couple of other players had signed theirs.

"It has been on the table for some time and we hope he signs it soon". Only if you're a DRAMA QUEEN like BigGully does this remark get twisted into a bitter, inflamatory, outrageous attack on AEA by the chairman.

Its ongoing. So what ? Won't be the first, won't be the last. Blimey, BigGully must be an Argus headline-writers wet dream, reading ALL KINDS of conspiracy and murk into the most innocuous quotes. They don't even need to spin the story, he's off into la-la land with it already, recoiling in horror at the savage attack on poor Adam, and now I suppose El Abd is BLASTING BACK at Dick, eh ?

Sheesh.

This must really work BG into a lather - no particularly pointy comments, no controversy, no drama??

Come on BG, give us what for, we really are foolishy passive about this stuff, and you want an ice cream, you gotta have that ice cream, GULLY WANT ICE CREAM, WAAAAAAAAHHHHH :cry:

:laugh: :laugh: punish:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

Sheesh.

DK has previous, and it would of been sooo simple not to comment or make a comment that would not become misconstrude by many.

It has already complicated things and not to recognise that is stupid.

The Argus surprise surprise are on to it, Al-Ebd himself is commenting on it, it has caused some problem that was unecessary.

The 'innocuous quote' has headlined 'Stalling' and now 'held to ransom' it was avoidable.

Already people are posting on here on The Argus, if you do not think that causing some unrest you really are out of touch.

I have said it before that it aint the most provocative quote I have seen, but you would be surprised how players despise misrepresentation that might turn the fans against them.

I bet Wilkins would love the Chairman to show just a little more understanding of how his comments can effect his players.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
And do you really believe that? With gates of appx 5k do you think that the club can afford to pay players appx £2k pw?

no the club cant afford it, thats why some of the higher earners out of contract maybe on their way out

my source tells me he is on approximatley that, and i have no reason to doubt him, also judging by his car and the clothes he wears he is obviously on a lot of money!

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
This must really work BG into a lather - no particularly pointy comments, no controversy, no drama??

Come on BG, give us what for, we really are foolishy passive about this stuff, and you want an ice cream, you gotta have that ice cream, GULLY WANT ICE CREAM, WAAAAAAAAHHHHH :cry:

:laugh: :laugh: punish:

Lather, unlikely.

Dont quite get your humour, but I do enjoy you in depth analysis of the team, now that is good.

Andy Gray watch out.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
That will only happen if we have a 'greedy player'... and rightly so in my book.

Whats your definition of a 'greedy' player ??

I expect just names to be posted, but what is your genuine view and how do you come to that ?

Bars Mar

Registered Drug User
Jan 4, 2008
In Bed With My Doner
Lather, unlikely.

Dont quite get your humour, but I do enjoy you in depth analysis of the team, now that is good.

Andy Gray watch out.

Not As Entertaining As Your Conspiracy Theories. Al Fayed Watch Out.

I Bet If Ever DK Wished You A Good Morning, You'd Look For Hidden Messages.

Look, BG. It's Simple.

Only DK, DW And AeA Know What Is Going On. The Rest Of Us Don't, You Included. Only You Are Getting Your Knickers In A Twist About It. You Also Seem To Think That We Are Bothered By Your Attempts To Prove That You Have Inside Knowledge. We Don't Care.

I Repeat, We Don't Care. You Really Are Reading Too Too Much Into An Off The Cuff Remark In The Argus That May Or May Not Have Been Reported Word For Word From DK.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
no the club cant afford it, thats why some of the higher earners out of contract maybe on their way out

my source tells me he is on approximatley that, and i have no reason to doubt him, also judging by his car and the clothes he wears he is obviously on a lot of money!

This is something we have discussed before, the club does pay competively.

Can they afford it ??

Well yes I guess, not through trading profits, there arent any, but down to individual benefactors.

The out of contract players are not getting paid any more than the recent signings are being paid, there doesnt seem to be a necessary reduction on the overall wage bill .............. I guess.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

I'm glad that's been posted because it seems to be a remarkably high figure bearing in mind what players in this division said they were being paid in a survey a couple of years ago.

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire

I'm sure you have good reason not to doubt your source, but I can and I do!

Just because a footballer drives a decent car or wears a designer shirt doesnt mean hes loaded, loads of people these days can fall into that bracket!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
DK has previous, and it would of been sooo simple not to comment or make a comment that would not become misconstrude by many.

It has already complicated things and not to recognise that is stupid.

The Argus surprise surprise are on to it, Al-Ebd himself is commenting on it, it has caused some problem that was unecessary.

The 'innocuous quote' has headlined 'Stalling' and now 'held to ransom' it was avoidable.

Already people are posting on here on The Argus, if you do not think that causing some unrest you really are out of touch.

I have said it before that it aint the most provocative quote I have seen, but you would be surprised how players despise misrepresentation that might turn the fans against them.

I bet Wilkins would love the Chairman to show just a little more understanding of how his comments can effect his players.

The only people working themsleves up into a frenzy over all this seems to be your good self, and some of the labotomy cases on the Argus website. We're clearly not going to agree though. You think you well and truley have your finger on the pulse with all this, whilst I think you read FAR too much into an innocuous remark in a local rag, and have been completely sucked in by the sensationalist spin on this (which is, of course, the main objective of any newspaper).

This stuff gets played out at football clubs the length and bredth of the country day in day out, and gets FAR higher profile coverage at bigger clubs than ours. Its nothing out of the ordinairy. Its a mundane contract negotiation with a third division footballer, not Die Hard 5.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Not As Entertaining As Your Conspiracy Theories. Al Fayed Watch Out.

I Bet If Ever DK Wished You A Good Morning, You'd Look For Hidden Messages.

Look, BG. It's Simple.

Only DK, DW And AeA Know What Is Going On. The Rest Of Us Don't, You Included. Only You Are Getting Your Knickers In A Twist About It. You Also Seem To Think That We Are Bothered By Your Attempts To Prove That You Have Inside Knowledge. We Don't Care.

I Repeat, We Don't Care. You Really Are Reading Too Too Much Into An Off The Cuff Remark In The Argus That May Or May Not Have Been Reported Word For Word From DK.

Sorry I had moved on, to todays headline 'Held to Ransom'.

You see you dont care because you dont understand.

Wilkins & Co would care because I am sure they would prefer if El-Abd and many of the out of contract players were signed without the customary spats.

Ultimately it effects morale to some degree.

And that will effect performances and results and thats what I personally care about.

It all unecessary.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Sorry I had moved on, to todays headline 'Held to Ransom'.

You see you dont care because you dont understand.

Show us a quote from someone at the club that accuses Adam El-Abd of holding the club to ransom. Go on show us.

You won't be able to find a quote though as "HELD TO RANDOM" is the argus words not the clubs and not Adam El-Abds. It's you who doesn't understand.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I'm sure you have good reason not to doubt your source, but I can and I do!

Just because a footballer drives a decent car or wears a designer shirt doesnt mean hes loaded, loads of people these days can fall into that bracket!

indeed people do fall into that bracket, as I said I am only going on what i have been told, and I guess neither of us know how much he is actually on, but I guess you are in a good position as any to know considering your other half.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
The only people working themsleves up into a frenzy over all this seems to be your good self, and some of the labotomy cases on the Argus website. We're clearly not going to agree though. You think you well and truley have your finger on the pulse with all this, whilst I think you read FAR too much into an innocuous remark in a local rag, and have been completely sucked in by the sensationalist spin on this (which is, of course, the main objective of any newspaper).

This stuff gets played out at football clubs the length and bredth of the country, and gets FAR higher profile coverage at bigger clubs than ours. Its nothing out of the ordinairy. Its a mundane contract negotiation with a third division footballer, not Die Hard 5.

I accept much of what you say to a point, but where we disagree is not recognising how these comments can effect negotiations.

It was wholly avoidable and unecessary, but time after time DK seems to try to publicly bully key players when crucial negotiations are still ongoing.

It will never achieve success because by definition key players will always have other clubs to sign for and if pushed too far will leave.

No-one really wins and we certainly do not.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Show us a quote from someone at the club that accuses Adam El-Abd of holding the club to ransom. Go on show us.

You won't be able to find a quote though as "HELD TO RANDOM" is the argus words not the clubs and not Adam El-Abds. It's you who doesn't understand.

But it was spawned by DK original comments, it was always going to end up with these headlines and the player is likely to blame the Chairman for this...no doubt.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
But it was spawned by DK original comments, it was always going to end up with these headlines and the player is likely to blame the Chairman for this...no doubt.

Only if he doesn't sign the contract... and then, to be honest, it all just so much hot air.

Bars Mar

Registered Drug User
Jan 4, 2008
In Bed With My Doner
but time after time DK seems to try to publicly bully key players when crucial negotiations are still ongoing

One Comment About A Deal Having Been Offered That May Or May Not Have Been Accurately Reported And May Or May Not Have Been Written In Context.

And You See This As Repeated Bullying?

Seriously, Did DK Not Say Thankyou When You Offered Him A Big Mac Once? I'm Trying To Understand Why You Always Choose To Paint Him As A Tyrant.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here