Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

El Abd hailed as the best

What a load of self-serving tosh. You haven't been the only one supporting El-Abd, it's just the likes of TCB shout so loud that more measured responses get drowned out in a shitstorm of tabloidese

Right. Well if you had the arguments coming back at you without support, from people (like TCB) who just wanted to decry a player's use to the club, you would also have felt as if you were the only one in support.

On the other hand, I will have to admit to not being a fan of Tommy Elphick to the point of opposing endless public opinion that slates him as a great asset, a shoe-in for his position and place in the squad, and seemingly the player we should be frightened of losing (despite a distinct lack of interest for him from other clubs!). The same went for Lynch, but at least TE wants to play for us and seems to try to work on improving his game.

Last edited:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
People follow like sheep, when the guy was getting slated.

Now you follow like sheep, because Gus praises him.

Just a small clarification required here. The quote is that El Abd HAS BEEN the best defender [since Gus came in], rather than, he IS the best defender...

I've seen El Abd play a lot more games than Gus has, or probably ever will, and the unfortunate fact is that he is very limited. Of course he can crunch into a tackle - that's a given. However, he is beaten way too easily, way too often, and even more often than that, the man does even need to beat him - he backs off and off long enough for the winger to get in his cross without bothering. His distribution is also very poor.

Played reasonably recently - yes. Good enough, long term - sorry, no.

Absolutely spot on.

Tho I would ADD that I would STILL prefer him in Midfield to that USELESS **** Navarro!

Janbha

Dec 5, 2008
Hove
im very confused , if he is in mr poyets eyes our best defender then we are in serious trouble of being relegated,im sorry if that seems a little harsh but from what i have seen of adam this season which to be fair is just 6 games ,he has been at fault initialy for 3 of the many goals we have leaked,i do not think switching him to cb would help either,its like just moving around the problem,i would like to see adam play in midfield in a chippy type role which we miss so much at the moment. Adam gives 100% thats not in dispute,and he is a handy squad player but to say he is the best we have ? Still thats the managers opinion which counts at the end of the day ,but that statement just worries the life out of me. baaaahh

İbrahim Tatlıses;3257314 said:
The bloke has little to no technical ability. If judged by that alone he would be lucky to be playing county league football.

However he is a strong, no nonsense, bit of a hard bastard centre half with plenty of experience at this level.

I wouldn't personally say he was our best, but hey, I'm not a professional football manager.

Horses for courses IT, we really aren't expecting to see technical ability from every player.... and to that, how many of ours have tech ability above the station we are currently parked in?

The no-nonsense/hard/experience is what we expect, and need from him, and he has the resolve and 'get-stuck-in' attitude out there.
Certainly not a flair, pretty player - but every team should be happy with his qualities. I can tell you he was definitely not happy being forced out of the game on Friday night, he looked pretty bloody upset.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
I'd quite like to see him at right back. He's exceptionally fit and I don't think his technique is all as bad as people say- put him on a side where he can play using his stronger foot and I think he'll do well. Also it's his preferred position? And I rate him higher than Whing or Hoyte..

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
well I must be in a mjortity of 1, but if Gus Poyet thinks El Abd is our best defender, then we are truly f***ed!

...and not only that " he has formed a good understanding with Elphic"..

God above.....

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Horses for courses IT, we really aren't expecting to see technical ability from every player

Sorry, but I do. I expect every player to be able to control and pass a football. Perhaps if you are paid to be there, rather than shelling out for a season ticket, you are more forgiving?

I can tell you he was definitely not happy being forced out of the game on Friday night, he looked pretty bloody upset.

Of course he wasn't happy - Jimmy Mac was coming on in his place, to remind everyone what a proper full back contributes to a football team.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Personally, I would be tempted to play El Abd at right back now McNulty is back (a better option than both Whing and Hoyte). Give Jake Wright a go at centre half alongside Tunnicliffe as his game there at Orient has been his best for us and he played there for Crawley.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
If he is going to play el abd, then I would play McNulty in midfield.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Sorry, but I do. I expect every player to be able to control and pass a football. Perhaps if you are paid to be there, rather than shelling out for a season ticket, you are more forgiving?

Of course he wasn't happy - Jimmy Mac was coming on in his place, to remind everyone what a proper full back contributes to a football team.

So you think that El-Abd's been playing worse than some of our players recently? Bit wrong to pick out El-Abd's technique with some of the other defenders we have. And he is slowly improving on his weaker foot. Do you not remember his 35 yard strike on his left foot a few seasons ago?! Plus, he's only 25, still got lots to learn. And if he is truly as bad as you say, surely he wouldn't be getting regular games under so many consecutive managers. Or are you a better judge than all of them?

jaylondon22

Jan 5, 2009
Glad the blokes getting some recognition for being a decent player. Shame the club didn't support the rest of the home grown players like Sullivan and Fraser..oh wait.. maybe because Smith and Navarro are better?!.....:US:

Control and passing is what is expected alright, but that's not what I'd equate to the term 'technical ability', that's just what every player ought to manage, before they show 'flair' or flash. Okay so el-Abd isn't going to be appearing for Chelsea or Arsenal any time soon, but he's more than decent in this league.
I view the game the same as a paying customer, by the way - not paying to get in doesn't change the match in front of me just as paying shouldn't effect it either. It's my club.

Of course he wasn't - Jimmy Mac was coming on in his place, to remind everyone what a proper full back contributes to a football team.

Let's see. I like McNulty and he does have some flair - but for me it would be great to have them both on the pitch, and both doing their respective job well, working together. I would always put JM on that side where he looked comfortable.
Experience of the midfield also works for AeA - and it's been said before that his best position is there. Again that's a horse for course, as he's an asset for wherever his work is best required.

Could somebody tell us what was actually written, as I think this headline has been taken out of context.
El-Abd has been our best defender recently, but for me he is at best a League 1 player, unless some good coaching can rub off on him I can't see him getting higher than the League we are currently in.

Bad points:
Passing, positioning, heading and the annoying tendency to have a funny five minutes every now and then.

Good points:
Commitment, fitness and tackling.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Glad the blokes getting some recognition for being a decent player. Shame the club didn't support the rest of the home grown players like Sullivan and Fraser..oh wait.. maybe because Smith and Navarro are better?!.....:US:

Maybe because Fraser wasn't up to it. Sullivan I agree with but we did need an experienced second keeper, it is just we chose one who seems to be low on confidence at the moment. Having said that, the other home grown players like Cox and Elphick aren't exactly setting the world alight at the moment, are they?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
People follow like sheep, when the guy was getting slated.

Now you follow like sheep, because Gus praises him..

Not me, all the talk of El-Abd being played out of position is right. The position he should be in is in another profession, a parking attendant or a bouncer perhaps, not as a footballer. He may have put in a bit of effort for the past few weeks, but his pace, his passing, shocking, he seems to get skinned every time a winger comes near him with the ball. I am seriously concerned if Gus rates him this highly, for me he has been responsible for so many lapses in the past 18 months, I was expecting him to be close to the top of the list for getting rid in January.

Then perhaps, as Bushy said, I know f*** all about football.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have been saying for many months that when McNulty is back and fit Adam El Abd should be right back to do the job GP is praising him for but on his strongest side. He is too short to be a central defender against some of the big strikers in this division.

jaylondon22

Jan 5, 2009
Maybe because Fraser wasn't up to it. Sullivan I agree with but we did need an experienced second keeper, it is just we chose one who seems to be low on confidence at the moment. Having said that, the other home grown players like Cox and Elphick aren't exactly setting the world alight at the moment, are they?

I would disagree that he wasn't up to it along with many of his ex-colleagues who trained with him everyday. I feel that he is better than Navarro, A Davies and Seb Carole who is back on trial at the club. As a home grown player I presume he is cheaper than the aforementioned too.

Granted Cox and Elphick are not in the form of their life but not many of our new players who have cost a considerable amount of money have been 'setting the world alight'.

After spending a fair amount of money since Dean Wilkins and shipping out numerous players, are we any better?

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Personally, I would be tempted to play El Abd at right back now McNulty is back (a better option than both Whing and Hoyte). Give Jake Wright a go at centre half alongside Tunnicliffe as his game there at Orient has been his best for us and he played there for Crawley.

Thats what i've been wanting for the past couple of weeks. Wright is a CB, the one game he played there (orient jpt) he was the best player on the pitch, yet still got dropped the next game!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here