Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

El-abd & Elphick Partnership

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
It's interesting really, Elphick and El-Abd played together when we were struggling against relegation.. and now they're playing together in a team that could go top if we win our game in hand. What it says to me is that the cover in front of them is a lot better now and we're a much better team with a much better sense of direction now. I think all the comments from the opposing managers so far have been very complimentary, it's a professional game and a contact sport. No manager would expect their strikers to get an easy time, and our defenders are making sure they don't. Which is their job, and they did it magnificently on saturday.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
The problem El-Abd has is with his heading - he fails to connect with the ball on many occasions which is not good for a centre back. At least three times yesterday he badly midjudged balls coming towards him in the air which he either missed completely or failed to clear.

What is good though is that he obviously recognises that he isn't a Lawrenson type defender as Gus would like but instead of trying to make passes and putting us in trouble he is now keeping things simple. It might annoy people that when he gets the ball he generally passes it back to Elphick or the keeper but it means that we keep possession and can build again.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
El Abd is the perfect 5th defender for me. Will slot in anywhere across the back four and give it his all every time. Knows his limits and plays to them. Happy to play a few then sit for a few. Very important squad member!

Lush

Mods' Pet
The problem El-Abd has is with his heading - he fails to connect with the ball on many occasions which is not good for a centre back. At least three times yesterday he badly midjudged balls coming towards him in the air which he either missed completely or failed to clear.

I don't remember any poor mistakes, but I remember him winning some good headers.

Nappy thrower

Banned
Dec 17, 2009
Floor above Bushy
They both are playing very well and they work well together but.....

When they had the ball it was Elphick passes to El-Abd who passes it back to Elphick THEN BACK AGAIN.This went on for most of the match.
In the end i had enough and screamed at them to pass it FORWARDS.
It got rather boring seeing the ball going back and forth amongst themselves.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
El Abd has been a revelation under Gus. Beforehand I always regarded him as a squad player with a lot of passion, but perhaps not the skill to go much further (even though I thought he played some good games for us in our championship relegation season).

Now I think he is the perfect defender for our team. He isn't first choice, but he slots in anywhere across the back four and does a job to an increasingly high standard. If Greer doesn't get his place back at the weekend, I don't think he can complain too hard. El Abd, for the moment, deserves to keep the shirt.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM

When they had the ball it was Elphick passes to El-Abd who passes it back to Elphick THEN BACK AGAIN.This went on for most of the match.

Oh dear, you need educating....

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia

A match we won and kept a clean sheet in. How boring, watching us winning by passing the ball and keeping it on the floor. Retention of possession is absolutely fundamental to the the way we're going to play if it's to be successful, so I'd get used to this, old boy. Poyet is not going to have them lump it forward unless they absolutely have to, and I for one applaud it.

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008
They'll have good games, they'll have bad games. What I do know is you can't win promotion with those two playing every game. Get Gordon back!

I agree with this (not necessarily getting Greer back because I don't think he's played enough to make a proper judgement). Yes El-Abd is doing a job for now. But he is in no way a truly good centre back that will help to win us promotion.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Yeah, the good old fashioned English way... GET RID OF IT!

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I don't think are there (m)any better centre backs in L1 at just plain defending than Adam El-Abd.

The trouble is he is not great on the ball and that is what holds him back from being Gus' first choice. Although he has improved a lot with his distribution, he isn't a natural on the ball and that is what Poyet is desperate for.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
El-abd & Elphick are only as good as the players around them. Look at last season's DVD games from about this time last year and they were absolutely shocking. It wasn't all down to the Scottish goalie. He had absolutely nothing by way of defensive cover. And El-Abd and Elphick were in the frame for a high percentage of the shockers he got blamed for.

but neither elphick or el-abd made smith keep wandering miles off his line though did they :lolol:

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean

obviously much better to just hoof it aimlessly forwards just like this time last year, and that was so successful wasn't it :facepalm:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

You would HATE (European and World Champions) Spain.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
The partnership hasn't been great all season and had Greer been fit he would of come in on Saturday.

Saying that, they were excellant on saturday so we'd be foolish to change it going into such a hard game.

Any mistakes and Greer can come straight in and all players will be kept happy

No brainer

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
We'll need all the defenders we've got in due course,'cos there are bound to be a few more reds and yellows flying about resulting in suspensions now and then!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here