Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] EFL Trophy

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I’d be genuinely interested to get your stance on this. I’m Grimsby and I massively oppose the inclusion of Premier League U-21s in this competition as it’s almost certainly a pre-cursor to the inclusion of B-teams in the football league pyramid (a la Spain). For me, that shìts all over the history and integrity of lower league football and would be its death knell in the long term.

I don’t expect fans of Man Yoo, Chelsea and Liverpool et al to ‘get’ this, but as supporters a club that has been on the brink and, after much fighting and a great deal of pain, come out of the other side - what’s your take on all this?

Don't have an issue .

It's a crap competition that was on its arse. Awful crowds , even lower sides field weak teams. It's just a nausea for everyone.

At least this way it potentially gives young English players a platform to show what they can do.

The cup is the issue , not the new format

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I’d be genuinely interested to get your stance on this. I’m Grimsby and I massively oppose the inclusion of Premier League U-21s in this competition as it’s almost certainly a pre-cursor to the inclusion of B-teams in the football league pyramid (a la Spain). For me, that shìts all over the history and integrity of lower league football and would be its death knell in the long term.

I don’t expect fans of Man Yoo, Chelsea and Liverpool et al to ‘get’ this, but as supporters a club that has been on the brink and, after much fighting and a great deal of pain, come out of the other side - what’s your take on all this?

Its a competition that no one really wants or has any interest in unless a team makes the final. Adding in U21 teams only degraded the competition further from my perspective. With some sizeable clubs at that level, Pompey, Sunderland, Bolton, Ipswich, Coventry etc.. It should get decent turnouts, but it doesn't.

Just kill it off and talk to the clubs about what they want, either a straight knockout competition with conference teams involved or championship sides knocked out of the league cup etc.. but this current version is awful

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003

I wouldn't want and don't expect B-Teams to join the pyramid. However, as someone who watched our U23s fairly regularly I've enjoyed watching their games in this competition and think it is a good experience for the players and their development as the games themselves are much closer to the pace and physicality of senior football than regular U23 league games.I suspect it's a very useful exercise for scouts looking at how a potential loan would cope at senior level too.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
]

So, if they managed to reach the final v. Coventry, who could well bring another 40,000 down, would you be happy with Albion having a few thousand there?

I choose what I want to do in life, what I think is right. What others choose to do is up to them, and I won't condemn them for it.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
I wouldn't want and don't expect B-Teams to join the pyramid. However, as someone who watched our U23s fairly regularly I've enjoyed watching their games in this competition and think it is a good experience for the players and their development as the games themselves are much closer to the pace and physicality of senior football than regular U23 league games.I suspect it's a very useful exercise for scouts looking at how a potential loan would cope at senior level too.

I agree - it’s a good day out and you can usually park right outside the ground and pay on the day without worrying about loyalty points!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The Wimbledon game coincides with Bissouma's projected return from injury.

Maybe he'll get a run out.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010

Agree with the sentiment, felt distasteful when announced

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
First fixture v Wimbledon tomorrow.

Probably we'll put out a young side as we tended to do last season.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Looking forward to this some of the Groovy Gang attending

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
With apologies to [MENTION=17745]Poojah[/MENTION], who raised some genuine concerns around this competition. I am really looking forward to our youngsters, rubbing some East end faces in the dirt this evening. That tosser on the P.A. and the don one, who got banned on here and I suspect may just have sneaked back on and Barry Hearn are all reason enough to dislike this bunch.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Reckon there's any chance of a stream for this game tonight?

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011

One of the things that come with PL football that I hold my nose and take for the betterment of the club I support. I agree with your sentiment but I also like that our U21s get a competitive run out - albeit against a B team. But the tournament was to lower league teams what the league cup to PL teams so it was a valiant attempt to breathe some life into an ailing competition. Not sure it has worked though. It actually saddens me how well the academy teams do in the competition in general as these are often players a fair way away from first team action that can hold their own with League One players. Again, good as it is for our club, it is taking away a lot of talent from lower clubs when we and others sign first team youngsters to put in our academy team for 2-3 years. Occasionally it works like with Alzate but often the players end up back at the same or lower level than they come from having taken 2-3 years out of their senior career. Modern football for you.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Playing Newport tonight at the Amex.

Could be a very low crowd size.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here