Edinburgh Tips

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
The airport bus is good value. Hike up Arthur's seat. Royal mile (but touristy) Great fish and chips with brown sauce. Excellent restaurant - Olorosso has Lovely castle views on the terrace.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Restaurant,.... Cafe Andaluz in George St,... top spanish scran,.... best quality Tapas I have ever had.

Royal Yacht - Leith docks, amazingly interesting.

Bow Bar in Victoria St,... for whisky or beer its a cracking hostelry.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
A lot to see in Edinburgh though nothing like as many pubs in Rose Street as the 49 there used to be. Visit National Gallery, old town and castle, RY Britannia if inclined. Wonderful Georgian Architecture.

As posted by TTF, a visit to Glasgow is a must either on this or a separate trip. Kelvingrove Art Galleries and Museum are a must as is the Burrell Collection and Transport Museum together with the finest Victorian Architecture in the UK (The city chambers is well worth a visit). Greatest number of parks in the UK I seem to remember.

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
Camera obscura up by the entrance to the castle.

I was up there a couple of weeks ago and can definitely recommend camera obscura.

The zoo's good as well, especially for kids. Although getting them hyper about seeing pandas for about 2 months beforehand and then finding that both pandas are ill and not on display when you go isn't such a great idea!

Jimmy Come Lately

Registered Loser
Oct 27, 2011
Hove
Camera obscura up by the entrance to the castle.

The camera obscura is well worth a visit on a sunny day, and you may be lucky to get one of those. The National Museum on Chambers Street is great: it's got a properly eclectic collection, like an edited version of London's big museums all in one. I can spend ten minutes there or a couple of hours, and the amount of interesting stuff I discover just expands to fill the amount of time I've got to kill. It's maybe got a little bit child-friendly (if, like me, you're quite fond of your museums being austere Victorian throwbacks) but there's a good chunk of serious in amongst the fun.

For refreshment, the Brew Dog bar is good fun if you like their (sometimes crazily over-strong) beer, although it's popular with the students so it can get busy. Edinburgh is one of the few cities outside London (Brighton being another) that Harden's can offer useful advice on if you want to spend a bit of money on a special meal out: it's got reviews of several places and for those I've got personal experience of the scores seem fair.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Go on a late night ghost walk in the old part of the city! Though make sure you have a few rums before, wrap up warm and wear comfy shoes/trainers. Even if you don't believe in ghosts (and I don't) it still manages to give you the creeps!
Also pop into Lush on Princes Street and say hello to my mate Pat, the manager - he's an ex-Albion season ticket holder!

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
You'll have a corking time mister :) You should definitely check out Avalanche, record shop on Grassmarket, just the best place ever. Baked potato shop opposite is truly amazing. The Meadows. Up that same street (slopes up from Waverley). Dunno if Martin Creed's steps are still there, but they're at the bottom of the same street and properly amaze. Or just go to the Fruitmarket Gallery if not. The Meadows. Top of Grassmarket, go right, up the Royal Mile then down the steps, amazing views of the city and loads of great places to eat/drink. If you need any more tips just shout me, I have to live there one month a year, immense place. The Meadows. Also you should definitely definitely go to Glasgee for a bit, it's five times better.

Last edited:

paul1960

Feb 26, 2007
Sussex
Anymore recommendations re places to eat , best chinese or Italian restaurant ? Also any advice re evening entertainment ?

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Thanks to all. We went up on the East Coast trains offer (£25 first class) - which was excellent value. They keep coming with drinks and snacks (and meals), and the views when you get to the North East are stunning. We went to the galleries - which were worth visiting, it all felt more accessible than the London galleries somehow.

We had a pint or two in the HalfWay House (on Fleshmarket - great names) and we also went to a French restaurant called Le Sept - which did a discounted early evening meal. Intended to go to Cafe Royal - but didn't quite make it (we were only there two nights).

Here is one of the portraits from the Scottish National Gallery - this does not really do it justice - it is stunning close up.

Sargent-Lady-Agnew-of-Lochnaw-1893.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports