Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Eddie Nketiah

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Connolly : 2049 PL minutes on the pitch

Nketiah : 1125 PL minutes on the pitch

That's quite impressive. If he played every game for 90 minutes that's about16 goals a season - a decent return (assuming that 5 PL goals is correct)

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
Would be delighted if true, quality young player.

England’s record u21 goal scorer too.

Agree. A club with our budget for the level we’re playing at can’t buy a finished product. It has always been the case. Our two most recent and most successful goal scorers have been Zamora and Murray and those we gave opportunities to from (even) lower divisions/reserve football.

Nketiah is the same for the level we’re playing at. It is comparable to Solanke at Bournemouth and Brewster at Sheffield United in so far as they are talented youngsters with lots of potential. The difference being those two players went into teams on their way down and haven’t had the chance to show what they can do. I felt sorry for Brewster being called a flop in that guardian article. The difference with Nketiah coming to us is that we can play decent football and he will be playing higher up the pitch than the other two with plenty of goal scoring opportunities.

As Stat brother wrote on another thread the next reliable goal scorer is only a gamble away. Could be Nketiah.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Brewster is probably worth £5million at most at present and that would be a team buying him as a risky investment but worth a punt.

Fairly sure they were referring to what Sheffield United paid for him. 23 million was mentioned in the tweet I spotted

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Personally I think we have two young "projects" on the go with Zeqiri and Connolly up front, the more you have then the less game time and the less development they each have.

I don't think it's the signing we need. Goalscoring in 2 or 3 seasons is not what we need to resolve

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
This may have some legs. If we are going to offer Welbeck another season or two then we'd not be going for a player that would demand a first team spot. It would be unlike us to do this anyway and wages is always an issue. Nketiah is the sort of player that would fit in to our model. Young, bags of potential, and he would not bust our wage structure, which someone like Abraham would.
From Arsenal's perspective, I think they want Bissouma but money is going to be an issue. What better a way to do this than to offer a player in exchange. They also get a player off their wage bill.
Ainsley Maitland-Niles would have been another option but with Moder and Caicedo I can see that we have the succession planning in place for midfield spaces.
Nketiah would make sense I think. Not too much pressure to deliver straight away but a longer term plan to replace Welbeck, with scope to either start or make a difference from the bench. Would likely see the departure of Connolly on loan.

Also just seen that he beat Shearer's record of 13 goals for the England's u21s.

I think Welbeck will indeed be staying. In his pre-Arsenal press chat GP said that Welbeck would be rested because of minor injury, and helped to get ready for our pre-season. A pretty strong hint!!
Anyone else hear it that way?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Nketiah is the same for the level we’re playing at. It is comparable to Solanke at Bournemouth and Brewster at Sheffield United in so far as they are talented youngsters with lots of potential. .

These are really good comparisons.

All three are shit.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I think Welbeck will indeed be staying. In his pre-Arsenal press chat GP said that Welbeck would be rested because of minor injury, and helped to get ready for our pre-season. A pretty strong hint!!
Anyone else hear it that way?

Yes....he backtracked a little when asked about his future ..without I think realising what he had said re his injury

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here