Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ed Turns

Rinkmaster

Oct 1, 2020
Newhaven
Played a good game last night. Good on the ball strong in the tackle, distribution and decision making top notch. Looks like he could turn into a very good dcm

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Roberts has grown very significantly in the last 2 years. Chances are that Turns will too.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Roberts has grown very significantly in the last 2 years. Chances are that Turns will too.

So this is purely based on being ten rows back in a stand but, for me, Lamptey didn't look quite as comparatively small. I wonder if he's grown a little in height and if, in turn, the growth was part of the reason the injury took so long to heal?

Might be complete bollocks but I imagine that a leg growing as a muscle in it is repairing isn't ideal.

Anyone else there last night think they noticed this or am I talking total nonsense?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Ed's 18, so is unlikely to have finished growing.

If Wikipedia is to be believed, Turns is currently less than an inch shorter than this guy, who managed to carve out a so-so career as a centreback:

But equally.........

white.JPG

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
So this is purely based on being ten rows back in a stand but, for me, Lamptey didn't look quite as comparatively small. I wonder if he's grown a little in height and if, in turn, the growth was part of the reason the injury took so long to heal?

Might be complete bollocks but I imagine that a leg growing as a muscle in it is repairing isn't ideal.

Anyone else there last night think they noticed this or am I talking total nonsense?

It was difficult to tell from the East stand as he was on the opposite side of the field for the 45 minutes he played, but we found it amusing during the warm up, the player he was warming up with was Dan Burn. Any height ratio is going to be distorted, in that scenario.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
A very assured debut and my word he wants the ball. Stout defending, nice positioning and great ball retention. The lad did good.

Unfortunately, unless the Premier League gets overrun by dwarves in the next two years he's not a centre back unless he grows upwards and bulks up. A Toney or Lukaku would murder him. Credit to Potter for sticking him in tonight where it was only his skill and willing that mattered but get him into a holding midfield role and we'll have a star of the future (if he can beat Mwepu, Leonard and possibly Caciedo to the role).

A couple of extra inches would be nice (oioi) but nearly basically the same height as Jules Koundé who Chelsea bid £42,000,000 for in the summer - and part of the reason they wanted him was because he’s good in the air! Put Turns in a back 3 with Dunk and Duffy and he’d probably cope with the physicality. Put him as half a CB pairing and I agree he’d struggle.

It’s a shame really that some of this central defenders won’t make it with us, it’s a very congested field even with us playing 3ATB

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
A couple of extra inches would be nice (oioi) but nearly basically the same height as Jules Koundé who Chelsea bid £42,000,000 for in the summer - and part of the reason they wanted him was because he’s good in the air! Put Turns in a back 3 with Dunk and Duffy and he’d probably cope with the physicality. Put him as half a CB pairing and I agree he’d struggle.

It’s a shame really that some of this central defenders won’t make it with us, it’s a very congested field even with us playing 3ATB

It is. Our current first team CB's are more likely than not to still be with us and still be at the top of their game for at least a couple of years and before you get to the Roberts, Turns, Tsongui generation, there's the Ostigard, Clarke lot who we need to make a decision on.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Turns & Roberts both have are good chance of being PL players in the next year or so . Turns needs a season in the championship first obviously but I think he is already too good for league 1.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Turns & Roberts both have are good chance of being PL players in the next year or so . Turns needs a season in the championship first obviously but I think he is already too good for league 1.

It is a total guess, but I'd expect that if Turns is progressing as the club like, then the club will find him a League One loan for the second half of this season - possibly after the FA Cup 3rd / 4th round games. Regular games, that MATTER, are exactly what young players need, IMO.

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It is a total guess, but I'd expect that if Turns is progressing as the club like, then the club will find him a League One loan for the second half of this season - possibly after the FA Cup 3rd / 4th round games. Regular games, that MATTER, are exactly what young players need, IMO.

I tend to agree. As an aside, I wonder how much work is involved in setting up loan signings? It's one thing getting game time, but you'd think there is a particular way our club wants our loan players to play. Looking at Ben White as an example, I'd have thought the likes of Newport, Peterborough, and Leeds were all bought into the idea of him being allowed to play in a flat back 4 and thus to play his way out of trouble rather than agriculturally hoofing it into row Z regardless of circumstance.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
We were sitting in G block of the WSL quite near the front. Turns and Lamptey were playing right in front of us in the first half. I based my comments partly on there not being a lot of height difference between the two when they were talking.

The only height stat I can find for him is on Transfermarket https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/ed-turns/profil/spieler/580809 which has him at 1.73 metres or 5ft 8 in old money. Admittedly he's only 18 and may yet grow a bit but that's too short for a centre back IMHO. Lamptey has shown you can be short and still tackle well and be very strong but he's typically up against wingers. Turns, as I said, will have to be stronger against the Toneys of this world if he wants to succeed in that postion.

He can't do much about his height to be fair and every thing he can work on he clearly has. Very good player but not in the Dunk / Duffy mode unless he grows at least a couple of inches.

Definitely taller than 5'8".

Reckon borderline 6'0, probably slight smaller. I'm in the middle tier, so similar position to yourself and he was a lot taller than Lamptey, but not as tall as Dan Burn....... :)

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Still looked small to me last night - I actually thought Turns was taller, but Roberts was more of a slight build.

I'm not saying we can ignore height, but we can get a bit carried away with it. How high you can jump is more important. At the other end of the pitch, I know, but Kevin Keegan for example was excellent in the air and won loads of headers; when he broke into the Liiverpool tea the nicknamed him Spring-healed Jack - he was 5'8" ............ that's 5 inches shorter than Locadia, and almost a foot shorter than Dan Burn! And he was better in the air than either of them!
If Turns and Roberts get to about six foot, as long as they can jump they should be OK.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It is. Our current first team CB's are more likely than not to still be with us and still be at the top of their game for at least a couple of years and before you get to the Roberts, Turns, Tsongui generation, there's the Ostigard, Clarke lot who we need to make a decision on.
Plus two other CBs out on loan, one in the Championship, one in the SPL, that haven't any minutes at all yet - I wonder where and how they will fit in to the plans?

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Plus two other CBs out on loan, one in the Championship, one in the SPL, that haven't any minutes at all yet - I wonder where and how they will fit in to the plans?

I would absolutely love us to secure a CL spot with a match to go and then GP play a team full of wingback and centre half players for the final match.

Cracker!

TNBA

TTF

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I'm not saying we can ignore height, but we can get a bit carried away with it. How high you can jump is more important. At the other end of the pitch, I know, but Kevin Keegan for example was excellent in the air and won loads of headers; when he broke into the Liiverpool tea the nicknamed him Spring-healed Jack - he was 5'8" ............ that's 5 inches shorter than Locadia, and almost a foot shorter than Dan Burn! And he was better in the air than either of them!
If Turns and Roberts get to about six foot, as long as they can jump they should be OK.

Depends if the guy they’re marking has less of a jump. [emoji2]

It’s not just height though it’s physicality, Lukaku for example bullies smaller players.

Dunk is probably nearly perfect, Webster arguably slightly more so as he has pace too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here