Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ed Joyce

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Good to see the Argus and the Sussex CCC website are bang up to date on this as usual......:jester:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Good to see the Argus and the Sussex CCC website are bang up to date on this as usual......:jester:

To be fair it doesn't mention Sussex in any of the quotes from that Middlesex spokesman. Mark Robinson and all at Sussex have never talked about players still under contract at other clubs and were probably not expecting any kind of press release as yet. Seeing as the Argus tend to get all their press news from Sussex I wouldn't have though they were expecting to have to run a story for a while yet.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Three year deal is pretty good in my book, shows some statement of intent, instead of getting him on a year deal.

I will go to the County Ground tonight a happy boy, and just hope the Mackay regime still dont have an influence on the prices of the catering booths

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Three year deal is pretty good in my book, shows some statement of intent, instead of getting him on a year deal.

I will go to the County Ground tonight a happy boy, and just hope the Mackay regime still dont have an influence on the prices of the catering booths

I cannot believe that you have ever entered the CG anything but a happy bunny!

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
true that, but tonight is months from the start of the season, but it will be good to see it in all its glory.

The top order is looking pretty good now

Nash
Yardy (c)
Goodwin
Joyce
Prior
Adams
Hoppo

Adams?

Prefer him to coach or wear the suit next season. And what of Spook Wright?

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
true that, but tonight is months from the start of the season, but it will be good to see it in all its glory.

Nash
Yardy (c)
Goodwin
Joyce
Prior
Adams
Hoppo

Not sure how much we will see of Prior next season though

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003

Nash
Yardy (c)
Goodwin
Joyce
Prior
Adams
Hoppo

Yardy
Smith
Joyce
Goodwin
Nash
Prior

Not convinced Hoppo is going to stay, he is yet to sign and Joyce signing could push him out of the side.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Yardy
Smith
Joyce
Goodwin
Nash
Prior

Not convinced Hoppo is going to stay, he is yet to sign and Joyce signing could push him out of the side.

A critical factor could be is another FCC is willing to have him. To me that is doubtful as he may not have a high enough cricketing profile. Smith?

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Who is Smith?? Dwayne?

I didnt put those batsmen in any order, just remembering who we had

Yes indeed.

He did open for the Windies for a while and would put some aggression at the top of the order. Bit of a risk moving Nash down the order, but still think he will be Adams long term replacement at 4 or 5.

Just a shame we are wasting wages on Kirtley next season.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Yes indeed.

He did open for the Windies for a while and would put some aggression at the top of the order. Bit of a risk moving Nash down the order, but still think he will be Adams long term replacement at 4 or 5.

Just a shame we are wasting wages on Kirtley next season.

Thanks...

:laugh:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
A critical factor could be is another FCC is willing to have him. To me that is doubtful as he may not have a high enough cricketing profile. Smith?

Bearing in mind 2 of our rival counties in the south will be playing second division cricket next season and one has the former Chief Exec of Sussex in charge, I think he would get another county.

Although I have been critical of Hoppo in the past, I would be disappointed to lose him, moving him to 6 last season seemed to suit him and he did have something of a break through year.

and now on the ecb web site

Sussex have confirmed the signing of Ed Joyce, who yesterday announced his intention to leave Middlesex for pastures new.

The Dublin-born batsman has put pen to paper on a three-year contract, which will keep him at Hove until the end of the 2011 season.

Joyce spent 10 successful seasons at Middlesex, averaging 44.87 in first-class cricket, with a highest score of 211.

Joyce said: “It’s my first move and I’ve put a lot of thought in to it, having had many chats with my wife. It hasn’t been an easy decision for me, but I believe it’s the right move.

“The work ethic of the club, along with their recent successes, have appealed to me for a while now and I’m hoping that these values and achievements will have a positive effect on my cricket.

“I’ll be looking to put in some major performances and establish myself at the highest level. I’m very excited about the move and am looking forward to helping Sussex continue to be a dominant force in county cricket.”

He competed for Ireland at ICC Trophy level, scoring 758 runs in 14 matches, between 2001 and 2005, at an average of 84.22.

The left-hander completed his English residency in 2005, making his debut for the country and impressing on their one-day international tour to Australia, scoring his maiden ODI century in Sydney in February 2007. He also played in the 2007 World Cup.

Sussex captain Mike Yardy said: “Ed’s a fantastic signing for the club. Statistically, he is one of the best batsmen in England. His experience and character will be a excellent addition to the club.”

Mark Robinson, professional cricket manager, added: “Ed is a player that we have admired for a long time.

“He has character, ability and stands for everything that is good in the game, so I know he will fit in well here. He will form part of a new generation at Hove, who are determined to continue the club’s recent success.”

Chairman Jim May commented: “I am delighted that Ed has decided to join us, which is a great vote of confidence in the club.

“Equally, the signing of such a talented cricketer shows that Sussex are determined to remain a major force in English cricket.”

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Good signing and I'm glad we're taking care of business nice and early, well before the season starts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here