Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

economy, gold,

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
[MENTION=599]beorhthelm[/MENTION]

i remember a few occasions on here you (and others) having views that gold purchase is silly, and that the economy is in no way going to crash.

a new (mainstream, don't worry) film came out today (independent from main stream media, and oh no, on youtube) full of inside "experts" presenting pretty much how bad it really is, and exactly as i have said it too.
But they wear suits, and some are CEO's, hmm, not like the conspiracy theorist archetype.

would like to know your thoughts on this presentation...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gHT0na7JXs0

or just turn a blind eye, mock, click ignore, whatever

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Brunswick

Whilst I share some of your sentiments, the problem short term with gold is OIL.

Whilst not always linked the price of oil & gold follows similar paths and the oil price is tumbling right now and may fall still further as (as I said on another thread) the Saudis may be trying to bankrupt Iran & Iraq by killing the price through production. Iraq is now producing oil at a dramatic rate which in the short may cause gold to tumble.

Other than that there is only one real currency - Gold!

Gangsta

Jul 6, 2003
Withdean

i remember a few occasions on here you (and others) having views that gold purchase is silly, and that the economy is in no way going to crash.

a new (mainstream, don't worry) film came out today (independent from main stream media, and oh no, on youtube) full of inside "experts" presenting pretty much how bad it really is, and exactly as i have said it too.
But they wear suits, and some are CEO's, hmm, not like the conspiracy theorist archetype.

Yeah I'm anti-gold and have posted such on this site. However this was in the last couple of years and I hold by my view that we must be somewhere near top price for gold. If as an investor you believe globalisation and with it a reduced threat of wars coupled with a fixing of the world banking system is likely to be where we are in 5 years time then gold price will fall. If however you believe we will be living in some kind of Mad Max world in 5 years then yes the price of gold will continue to rise. I would suggest that you would have to have a rather despondant future view if you are nvesting in gold right now. Many organisations are holding it short term as this bubble rises, but who and when the first one wil be to shout " The Emporer has no clothes on", well I can't say I have no crystal ball.

FACT: Gold has no yield - er, so irrelevent to most institutional investors (thats most of the invested money out there), they will hold tactically short-term maybe
FACT: Gold has few practical applications than say Copper - I would have thought a much better investment long term (try Antofagasta maybe)
FACT: Dollar investors will be emboldened by the fact that since the dreaded US downgrade and non-austerity politics, US bond yields have remained lower than many expected suggesting the US is still safe as houses despite pressures.
FACT: Its been on a bull run for years - all good things come to an end - I'm sure if could be bothered, I could find a NSC post in 2005-7 laughing down residential property naysayers.

But to the ordinary man in the street it is simply a bad time to buy. A 10 year plus bull run is not the time to go into any asset class, you are asking for trouble (and if the asset produces no income you are purely relying on its value contiuning to go up.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

my position is that in the event of a real total crash, gold will be just as pointless as cash. all currency relies on trust, gold is no different. how do i trust that the gold ingot or coin im being given is real? also the value has risen so high that minted coins are too valuable for everyday use (over £250 for a sovereign).

whatever your video is claiming we'll have to wait for another time as the producers want their $5 payments, and i'm not minded to pay.

Last edited:

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
my position is that in the event of a real total crash, gold will be just as pointless as cash. all currency relies on trust, gold is no different. how do i trust that the gold ingot or coin im being given is real? also the value has risen so high that minted coins are too valuable for everyday use (over £250 for a sovereign).

whatever your video is claiming we'll have to wait for another time as the producers want their $5 payments, and i'm not minded to pay.

the film was really insightful, i cant believe they want a 5 for it - a film about money worth nothing, then pay 5 to watch....i have emailed them the irony.

the bottom line was that the value of the dollar on the markets is a massive lie (should be lower) and the value of gold is a lie (should be much higher) and that non "western central bank" nations have been buying hundreds of tons of gold recently. it goes into the 1970s when all currencies were linked to the dollar and the dollar was linked to gold - and then they snipped it to make the dollar backed by nothing.......pretty interesting, and ill be sure to find a free link soon - and post their reply of why they are charging 5.

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
i emailed the filmmaker about charging money for a film that is about money being worthless......

his reply:

"I'm a filmmaker, not a busker."

lol

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011

You are worse than any woman i know for keeping an argument going and ranting on endlessly to get your self importance noticed.

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
You are worse than any woman i know for keeping an argument going and ranting on endlessly to get your self importance noticed.

lol......it is a debate, pretty important topic too - i am not looking to be "right" just to debate with people of an opposite stance so i can be really clear in myself where i sit.

there is no self importance or need to be noticed going on....this is an online football forum pre-season for christ sakes, hardly standing in trafalgar square with a megaphone or taking over the bbc channels.

click ignore or dont click on threads that you have no interest in.....simple.

ALBION28

Jul 26, 2011
DONCASTER
In the gold camp myself at this point. Follow the history. We have been here before. Debt, try to deal with by Austerity (never works) finally work out need inflation (time to hold physical assets including gold ) Revaluation to control inflation (get rid of gold at this point) start to rebuild, steady growth, start building debt again and on and on.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007

Thats because you don't get gold - You can get smaller minted coins and you can also get silver which at £580 a kilo is easier to break down in to currency. It wasn't that long ago we used the real thing and perhaps have real value coins would make people respect what they buy with it more.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here