Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ebay question

Hilton

Jul 5, 2003
Norman, Oklahoma
I've not bought anything on eBay before and was wondering if I should trust buying something from someone with 0 feedback. The guy is selling about 10 of the same thing for £1, while others of the same sort are going for about £50. Any advice?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I guess you can always contact him, via 'Ask the seller a question' and see if you get a convincing reply ?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
good advice titanic

I've got 350 feedback now, only had a few bad deals, probably less than you'd get in everyday shopping in all honesty, if you get good communication and contact details go for it, but there are plenty of sharks trying to run mini fleecing empires, so be careful

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
There are to many wankers on eBay now, ask if you can get it sent recorded delivery that way if it doesn't turn up, your be in a better position to get a refund !!

Faldo

Jul 7, 2003
It does look a good deal, but with a feedback of '0', set up the ebay account yesterday, and the ad being written in broken English... and it comes with an adaptor?

Having said that, the auction has only just started, so this is only an opening price.

I'd probably go for it, but would wait until later on in the auction.

Hilton

Jul 5, 2003
Norman, Oklahoma
Faldo said:
It does look a good deal, but with a feedback of '0', set up the ebay account yesterday, and the ad being written in broken English... and it comes with an adaptor?

Having said that, the auction has only just started, so this is only an opening price.

I'd probably go for it, but would wait until later on in the auction.

1 other thing is that I was looking for this yesterday and it was the same thing with about 10 of them selling for £1, each item was set up with the same wording as today but with a different seller (also with 0 feedback).

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Why is someone in Germany only selling to the UK?

Note that postage is high for a very small item, and that is often what puts people off bidding.

The only dodgy deal I have had on Ebay was with an overseas seller. I got the item, but he neglected to mention in the description that it only worked with XPPro, not the home edition.

We all have to start somewhere, and I started selling with a very low rating (can't remember if I got some buying ratings first), but this looks like one I'd avoid unless you get good communications. Not a lot of time to correspond, though.

Sonic

Spiky little bugger!
Jul 6, 2003
Patcham
sully said:
Note that postage is high for a very small item, and that is often what puts people off bidding.

The high postage is a common ploy these days. Means that people can bump up the overall price they receive, without losing money to e-bay in selling and final price fees.

Faldo

Jul 7, 2003
And seeing as you can barely understand the ad, would you understand the reply.

If there is another seller with the same speel, on top of everything else, I think I would leave it on reflection.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
VAT is another one dealer have to put on things, and postage, but its always in the small print

jst be vigilant, its not quite the bargain basement it was, but you can still get goo deals

I was discussing with my postman the other week that the new guvnor of the Post office has had F all to do with their revived fortunes, its all down to E bay !

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Sonic said:
The high postage is a common ploy these days. Means that people can bump up the overall price they receive, without losing money to e-bay in selling and final price fees.

ESPECIALLY if being sent from Germany

:D

Seagull over NZ

Jul 7, 2003
Bristol
By paying by PayPal don't you have a guarantee that Ebay will refund the money if the product doesn't turn up. I seem to remember someone saying that PayPal added an extra security to the purchase.

One other tip a mate showed me is look at who the bidders are - you can go and look at them and see who they have bid for - if they have often bid for items from this person then the chances are they have 2 or more login's and are bidding for their own items to push the price up - an indication that you should steer clear of them.-

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Seagull over NZ said:
By paying by PayPal don't you have a guarantee that Ebay will refund the money if the product doesn't turn up. I seem to remember someone saying that PayPal added an extra security to the purchase.

One other tip a mate showed me is look at who the bidders are - you can go and look at them and see who they have bid for - if they have often bid for items from this person then the chances are they have 2 or more login's and are bidding for their own items to push the price up - an indication that you should steer clear of them.-

No I brought some bike bits for £100 a little while ago and they never turned up, I lodged an unreceived item complaint with eBay, a few days later I receivd a stupid olympic bid wrist band 2012 in the post - recorded delivery, not sure at the time who from but I was soon told by eBay I had lost my claim against the £100 item. In hindsight I reckon the guy I brought the bike parts off sent the wristband RD and used the reference number for that to claim hed sent the bike bits out !!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here