[Food] Eating Tapas

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Funnily enough, also one of my favourite dishes in Casa Don Carlos. Comes in the same kind of dish, sizzling in olive oil with finely chopped garlic. It really is glorious, one of those dishes that's so good that you wish it was about three times the size :drool:

Yep, needs chilli flakes too :thumbsup:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Oh yeah, forgot to add it's got those too. You really need to check it out when next you're in The Lanes, I'm pretty sure you won't be disappointed

I’m sold and certainly will :thumbsup:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
My alltime favourite tapa is Gambas al ajillo. Very few restaurants make a great one but the chef on Cala Bassa Beach in San Antonio Ibiza, who retired about 10 years ago, consistently made the best ones I’ve ever had. How I’d love to find a restaurant ANYWHERE, who could compete with the serving of this sizzling hot dish

It was served in a dish very similar to THPP bizarre brandy flaming dish in the post above but without the ott Baked Alaska flame appearance [emoji38]ol: I do like the fact that the waiter is serving it with a flame proof mask though :wink:

I did once have a Baked Alaska where the dick of a cook used paraffin to flame it up!!
Very easy to make if you haven't. They put the garlic (v. Roughly chopped) and chilli (usually red) into COLD extra virgin olive oil. The oil is THEN heated and the moment the garlic starts to sizzle they throw the prawns in.

After a few seconds, its then thrown into dish that has preheated in the oven.

Add pepper and chopped parsley.

That's it.

Secret is starting with cold oil.

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
At one time there was a superb, hidden gem on the dials called Dali’s. Had a restaurant upstairs and an art gallery downstairs but the absolute jewel in the crown was their back garden patio. Always people to give it atmosphere but not too busy. It was a sun trap with mosaic tables, imported olive and fig trees. Sublime. You could order this thing where they would bring out tapas every half hour or so, always at the right pace and always exactly what you needed. They chose and always chose well.
I doubt it’s there any more but me and the Mrs at the time lived round the corner and spent a couple of summers there with beer and tapas, far from the madding crowd. Like being on holiday.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Going out with Mrs AR tomorrow night to a Tapas themed restaurant.
Never eaten this type of food before, so looking forward to trying this out.
Your suggestions for for eating and ordering would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

By coincidence I too enjoyed Spanish Tapas last night, the meatballs in the tomato sauce and the croquettes were to die for hope you enjoy yours [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
The tortilla is fabulous - best cold though! Traditionally taken to work in a split loaf as a bocadilla (sandwich) for lunch. :thumbsup:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
The tortilla is fabulous - best cold though! Traditionally taken to work in a split loaf as a bocadilla (sandwich) for lunch. :thumbsup:

The tortilla is the subject of much debate in Spain, where people are divided into 2 camps: the concebollistas and the sincebollistas (the with-onionists and the without-onionists. Then there's the matter of how jugoso (juicy) you like it. Personally, I side with the onionists and like it to be positively oozing.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
It’ll all be swimming in oil and taste of garlic whatever tapas you order

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Bollocks.

Speaking of which, I had a tapa of tasty testicles in a bar in Jaén a couple of years back. No oil or garlic in sight.

Ladyboys bar ?

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Get yourselves over to Bilbao or San Sebastian and sample Basque Pintxos, their name for Tapas. Absolutely brilliant Cities to go to and sample the food and drink.
-Cod Cheeks (Kokotxa)
-Gambas Al Ajillo
-Padron Peppers
-Pinchos Morunos
amongst other quite delicious platters

I am salivating at the thought!

TNBA

TTF

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Not read all the thread but some very good suggestions, love Tapas, we have a really good Spanish restaurant on the Hoe, I was there 2 weeks ago.
One word, if you like them, Sardines, have some Spanish Sardines.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Not read all the thread but some very good suggestions, love Tapas, we have a really good Spanish restaurant on the Hoe, I was there 2 weeks ago.
One word, if you like them, Sardines, have some Spanish Sardines.

Love a sardine. Cheap as chips and packed with flavour. Blackened on a BBQ and with a good dose of salt, they're just great.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Your first joke was better. Bad edit.

You caught me. My mum ate breaded testacolo in Italy for 4 years when she went back in the 80’s thinking they were sweetbreads.

I’d eat them.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Had amazing Calamari last weekend in er.. Clapham.

My favourite tapas dish in once they serve in a Tapas restaurant in Battersea. It's a small square of suckling pig belly with apple sauce and a bitter lemon sorbet.

The Northcote Road end, or up in Battersea itself? I don't remember seeing a Tapas place when I was there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports