Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Eating less meat & dairy.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Harvard article, based on vast studies, showing the clear link between red meat consumption and cancers.
https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/red-meat-and-colon-cancer

I think the bottom line is that in moderation is fine.

Homo sapiens haven’t evolved to healthily eat copious amounts of cooked and chargrilled red meats.

I know someone (not a smoker) who’s always told me that smoking’s alright, because my aunt was happily smoking in her 80’s. That was no comfort to two of my cousins in their early 50’s who we’ve lost to the big C, both lifelong chain smokers.

My point being that following the latest scientific advice on diet, sleep, activity, greatly enhances our odds of long term physical and mental health. Of course there’ll always be people who lived to a grand age on lard and alcohol based hedonism. The exception that doesn’t override large studies.

There are lots of variables based on diet, genetics, healthcare, education levels and income. But, overall, eating less, exercise, drinking less alcohol and avoiding red meats can tip things back towards making pension age. The trouble with our lives I think is the amount of tampering and dodgy procedures involved in manufacturing our food. Bacon used to be a way of preserving Pork for times of hardship but now its pumped full of Nitrates, Colourants, chemicals and water ( because water is cheap and heavy and bacon is sold by weight ) and probably is pretty toxic mostly now days.

One of the things that is always fun to do is to check the ingredients list on a pack of sausages ....... if you buy pork sausages you expect them to be pretty much pork..... we have official rules on minimum meat content and it varies between 50% and 90% mostly depending on the quality and how much you can afford to pay......next time you are in a supermarket its scary to look at the ingredients list on a pack of Richmond Irish Recipe Sausages .... pay particular note of the percentage of Pork meat... its a real eye opener !

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
There are lots of variables based on diet, genetics, healthcare, education levels and income. But, overall, eating less, exercise, drinking less alcohol and avoiding red meats can tip things back towards making pension age. The trouble with our lives I think is the amount of tampering and dodgy procedures involved in manufacturing our food. Bacon used to be a way of preserving Pork for times of hardship but now its pumped full of Nitrates, Colourants, chemicals and water ( because water is cheap and heavy and bacon is sold by weight ) and probably is pretty toxic mostly now days.

One of the things that is always fun to do is to check the ingredients list on a pack of sausages ....... if you buy pork sausages you expect them to be pretty much pork..... we have official rules on minimum meat content and it varies between 50% and 90% mostly depending on the quality and how much you can afford to pay......next time you are in a supermarket its scary to look at the ingredients list on a pack of Richmond Irish Recipe Sausages .... pay particular note of the percentage of Pork meat... its a real eye opener !

Totally agree. The added chemicals concern. Overcooking (bbq) also causes harmful chemicals.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Interested in the bacon you link to. I'm not veggie, but most of my friends and family are, so accustomed to eating and preparing veggie meals. I don't eat much meat, but I'm completely off pork (following an absolutely horrid dream - details not available) - but I do miss bacon!
The meatless 'bacon' rashers in the supermarkets are, frankly, ghastly - the ones you link to look interesting (if out of stock and so unavailable to buy) - but bloody hell - are they expensive! I've never paid £7.50 for my packet of smoked rashers in my life (and only available if you by in bulk, 4 packets a time!) Anybody tried them?

I only eat the nitrate free "Naked" brand and their sausages are lovely.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Harvard article, based on vast studies, showing the clear link between red meat consumption and cancers.
https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/red-meat-and-colon-cancer

I think the bottom line is that in moderation is fine.

Homo sapiens haven’t evolved to healthily eat copious amounts of cooked and chargrilled red meats.

I know someone (not a smoker) who’s always told me that smoking’s alright, because my aunt was happily smoking in her 80’s. That was no comfort to two of my cousins in their early 50’s who we’ve lost to the big C, both lifelong chain smokers.

My point being that following the latest scientific advice on diet, sleep, activity, greatly enhances our odds of long term physical and mental health. Of course there’ll always be people who lived to a grand age on lard and alcohol based hedonism. The exception that doesn’t override large studies.
It's a clear link, but the figure of 28% increased chance of getting colon cancer is heavily misleading. It makes it sound like a big number, when it's actually a little number.

In the UK, about 42,000 people are diagnosed with colon cancer each year, mostly over 50 years old. So 1 in 1600 of the general population, 1 in 800 of the older people. This survey says that for people whose lifestyle is already to avoid red meat, the odds improve (for over 50's) to about 1 in 1,000. And that's each year. If you don't eat red meat, your chances of getting colon cancer between the ages of 50 and 80 go from about 3.75% to about 3%, and your chances of dying from it go from about 1.3% to 1.0%.

And that's not the benefit you get from changing your lifestyle. This Harvard survey wasn't looking at people who changed their lifestyle for the purposes of the survey; it was looking at people who already had the low-red-meat lifestyle. If you have eaten red meat all your life, the benefit of switching will be lower.

Is it worth it? A 28% improvement in a very small risk is a very small gain. I am certainly not saying don't do it, but the addition to anyone's life expectancy (at least as far as colon cancer is concerned) is small. About 12 hours, in fact.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I really love a bacon sandwich and a beef burger. A big delicious juicy beef burger, made from the cooked flesh of a cow. You can just picture it can't you, that delicious meat sizzling on the grill. Delicious!!!

Naturally I don't mean to offend any of the more militant vegetarians in this thread, just thinking about how much I love meat.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
Interested in the bacon you link to. I'm not veggie, but most of my friends and family are, so accustomed to eating and preparing veggie meals. I don't eat much meat, but I'm completely off pork (following an absolutely horrid dream - details not available) - but I do miss bacon!
The meatless 'bacon' rashers in the supermarkets are, frankly, ghastly - the ones you link to look interesting (if out of stock and so unavailable to buy) - but bloody hell - are they expensive! I've never paid £7.50 for my packet of smoked rashers in my life (and only available if you by in bulk, 4 packets a time!) Anybody tried them?

Pretty sure I've seen them in supermarkets but again probably not that cheap.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Just eat lots of beans.

That bloke's completely mad. I love his running and kayaking videos. The one where he runs a marathon in 24 hours while making and fixing all kinds of stuff in his breaks between laps is actually really inspiring.

Having said that, I do love a big fat rare steak. Take the horns off it, wipe its bum and chase it through the kitchen with a frying pan :drool:

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I was veggie between the ages of 16 and 23 (a long time ago !) and have a daughter who is 99% Vegan and son who is mainly Veggie (both for environmental reasons). Mrs Wz never ate great amounts of meat, being super healthy, and I have cut down the amount of meat I eat substantially over the last 5 or so years. Although I'll still enjoy a nice beef stew, it will now be 10% beef 90% shallots/mushrooms/carrots. Aubergine and Big Portabello mushrooms make a nice 'meaty' alternative to Steak and Kidney in a steamed pudding.

There are loads of veggie recipes online using simple basic ingredients. I'll often have a couple of fresh ingredients, look up a recipe online for them and then make up something along those lines. If you are going to use dried pulses, it's often best to do this the day before.

I also find that buying less meat/fish but top quality is still no more expensive than a lot of Veggie/vegan meat 'alternatives'. Also i'm not a great fan of meat substitutes because back when I was veggie there weren't any (bar a thing called sos mix) and I'm also very wary of swapping crap processed food for crap processed veggie or vegan food.

I'm hungry now :glare:

Oh and this

Having said that, I do love a big fat rare steak. Take the horns off it, wipe its bum and chase it through the kitchen with a frying fan :drool:

But if you catch it with the frying pan, you'll ruin it

Last edited:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I was veggie between the ages of 16 and 23 (a long time ago !) and have a daughter who is 99% Vegan and son who is mainly Veggie (both for environmental reasons). Mrs Wz never ate great amounts of meat, being super healthy, and I have cut down the amount of meat I eat substantially over the last 5 or so years. Although I'll still enjoy a nice beef stew, it will now be 10% beef 90% shallots/mushrooms/carrots. Aubergine and Big Portillo mushrooms make a nice 'meaty' alternative to Steak and Kidney in a steamed pudding.

There are loads of veggie recipes online using simple basic ingredients. I'll often have a couple of fresh ingredients, look up a recipe online for them and then make up something along those lines. If you are going to use dried pulses, it's often best to do this the day before.

I also find that buying less meat/fish but top quality is still no more expensive than a lot of Veggie/vegan meat 'alternatives'. Also i'm not a great fan of meat substitutes because back when I was veggie there weren't any (bar a thing called sos mix) and I'm also very wary of swapping crap processed food for crap processed veggie or vegan food.

I'm hungry now :glare:

Oh and this

But if you catch it with the frying pan, you'll ruin it

Are you taking the Michael?

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I really love a bacon sandwich and a beef burger. A big delicious juicy beef burger, made from the cooked flesh of a cow. You can just picture it can't you, that delicious meat sizzling on the grill. Delicious!!!

Naturally I don't mean to offend any of the more militant vegetarians in this thread, just thinking about how much I love meat.

You’re going to waffle on about “militant” veggies after posting that? ???

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
To paraphrase a well worn joke; how do you know if someone eats meat? Don’t worry, they’ll tell you.

D

Deleted member 2719

Mouldy.

To counter the consensus on here, I now do intermittent fasting (try to eat in a 6 hour window per day and fast for 18 hours), and I’ve become whats classed as ‘fat adapted’.

What this means is that my body is adopted to use fat as a fuel source more than carbs. When you hear the word carbs, replace it with sugars, as that is what carbs are.

The reason fat had such a bad press was not because we can’t eat fat (we can and it’s good for you). However, it’s the type of fats. So, things like ‘vegetable oil’ are bad for you (hint, they don’t come from vegetables are are over processed). These are the bad fats - just use olive oil/butter.

If you want some informative stuff, look up Dr Eric Berg, Dr Sten Ekberg on youtube. It’s an eye-opener.

Humans are not designed to be constantly eating all the time. We function so much better with limited food intake and the body adapts. There’s a process the body goes into called autophagy which is in effect, the recycling of dead cells around the body. The body is constantly regenerating, but autophagy improves that process.

With intermittent fasting the body also gets into ketosis, and this is a better fuel for the brain.

Lastly, animal fats are good for you IMO. And those of you wanting to drink soya - good luck with the for your health (not).

Thanks for this Larus, some I knew and some I didn't but this makes far more logic to me than anything else.

There was a guy who was banging on about sugar being a poison some 20 + years ago Patrick Holford, my sister was always telling me about him.

https://www.patrickholford.com/advice/how-to-stop-craving-sugar,

I will look up the Bergs!! when I get some time.:thumbs up:

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Lastly, animal fats are good for you IMO. And those of you wanting to drink soya - good luck with the for your health (not).

You say soy is bad for your health and animal fat is good in the same breath. Brave move considering consuming animal products has been linked to our top diseases and illnesses. Heart disease, type-2 diabetes, many forms of cancer, strokes, hypertension, dementia and osteoporosis. What evidence is there that the consumption of soy is bad for you? And have you told Asia? ???

Buffalo Seagull

Jun 1, 2006
Geelong, Vic, Australia
That bloke's completely mad. I love his running and kayaking videos. The one where he runs a marathon in 24 hours while making and fixing all kinds of stuff in his breaks between laps is actually really inspiring.

Having said that, I do love a big fat rare steak. Take the horns off it, wipe its bum and chase it through the kitchen with a frying pan :drool:
Yeah I love his stuff too. My favourite is Run the Line, where he follows a now-non-existent railway line, through paddocks and forests, all the while dressed as a old locomotive driver.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Mouldy.

To counter the consensus on here, I now do intermittent fasting (try to eat in a 6 hour window per day and fast for 18 hours), and I’ve become whats classed as ‘fat adapted’.

What this means is that my body is adopted to use fat as a fuel source more than carbs. When you hear the word carbs, replace it with sugars, as that is what carbs are.

The reason fat had such a bad press was not because we can’t eat fat (we can and it’s good for you). However, it’s the type of fats. So, things like ‘vegetable oil’ are bad for you (hint, they don’t come from vegetables are are over processed). These are the bad fats - just use olive oil/butter.

If you want some informative stuff, look up Dr Eric Berg, Dr Sten Ekberg on youtube. It’s an eye-opener.

Humans are not designed to be constantly eating all the time. We function so much better with limited food intake and the body adapts. There’s a process the body goes into called autophagy which is in effect, the recycling of dead cells around the body. The body is constantly regenerating, but autophagy improves that process.

With intermittent fasting the body also gets into ketosis, and this is a better fuel for the brain.

Great advice, I have done something similar but you only enter ketosis if you cut out carbs to virtually zero for a sustained period.

Its true what you say about fats, good fats are healthy and a good energy source, people buy skimmed milk thinking it's healthier - it's not !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here