[News] Eastbourne Horror House - What on earth??!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
My issue with this story is it will be used as a reason to cut benefits and lead to further hardship for children of parents possessing the usual amount of human kindness.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Absolutely disgraceful social services need to be asked some questions
I have found social workers to be generally extremely kind and worthy people, catastrophically overworked and struggling below an enormous weight of human misery with precious little resource to do anything.
Though I'm guessing the questions you refer to do not include "what do you need?"

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
My issue with this story is it will be used as a reason to cut benefits and lead to further hardship for children of parents possessing the usual amount of human kindness.
Absolutely. Unfortunately, it is inevitable that scum like that will try to exploit the benefits system. Quite how it is allowed to continue is another matter

However, the sums involved are a drop in the ocean compared to the fraud, insider dealing, tax evasion that seems to be supported, celebrated even, by those in government. No doubt the Mail, Express, etc will latch onto this, rev up the fascist elements in government and demand more destitute folk thrown onto the street whilst the high value fraud continues unabated

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I read the article several times to find out what they got. I couldn't find it. In keeping with the pitiful journalism from the Argus, the reporter forgot or couldn't be arsed.

I had to go looking and found it in the Daily M*il. They got just 6 years each for child neglect. 6 years?

I've not posted the link because a) it was the Daily M*il and b) the pictures of the animals in the article are quite harrowing. They are out there if you feel the need to see them.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Yup. One of those exceedingly rare cases that will be treated as if it's the norm to keep the squeeze on benefits claimants. Even though the figures involved for all those cases added together are utterly insignificant in the bigger picture of public spending.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
They needed that money for the dogs. You wouldn’t want to see them suffer would you?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
To be fair, their benefits are at an obscenely high level. The system is obviously broken to pay them £7k pm. Or am I missing something?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Having worked all my life the only benefit I know of is child benefit. That is is £21.80 for first child then £14.45 for subsequent kids a week; so 14.45 x 6 = 86.7 then + 21.80 = 108.50 a week. So what was making up the rest of the money they had coming in? How is it possible to rake in £7k a month? Was the government paying their mortgage or was their landlord ripping off the housing benefit and their housing is included in the monthly amount??

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Having worked all my life the only benefit I know of is child benefit. That is is £21.80 for first child then £14.45 for subsequent kids a week; so 14.45 x 6 = 86.7 then + 21.80 = 108.50 a week. So what was making up the rest of the money they had coming in? How is it possible to rake in £7k a month? Was the government paying their mortgage or was their landlord ripping off the housing benefit and their housing is included in the monthly amount??
I had exactly the same thoughts.
I assume Universal credit was paying a private landlord a chunk of that, but even then, I find it hard to understand how you can get to £7k.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I'd like to know the answer to that question too.

How on earth does anyone get £7k a month benefits....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports