Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Eastbourne Borough ditch manager in favour of AI

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
(Kind of)

Danny Bloor Departs Boro​

"Moving forward we will have a more data driven approach to recruitment, preparation and analysis, using the latest AI technology, equipment and platforms to manage the performance and welfare of our players."

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
(Kind of)

Danny Bloor Departs Boro​

"Moving forward we will have a more data driven approach to recruitment, preparation and analysis, using the latest AI technology, equipment and platforms to manage the performance and welfare of our players."

Known Danny for a long time and frankly he deserves better, that said he who pays the piper calls the tune, and this new owner says he wants League Football within a certain time.

This AI stuff baffles me, just last week it threw up on here the All Time Albion XI, Kuipers in goal, Mullers in midfield and no sign of Lawrenson. Speaks volumes ;)

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Watched Eastbourne a few times last season and each time they played well. Bloor was doing very well with the budget that was available, and every supporter I’ve spoken to about it feels like it’s a rash decision.

The new owner seems ambitious - he mentioned wanting to turn us into the new Luton and Wrexham. The latter muddles it (I would have preferred Brentford).

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Got to question the quality of the relevant data available to The Sports.

Football manager?

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Got to question the quality of the relevant data available to The Sports.

Football manager?
I'm curious too as the new owner, Simon Leslie, doesn't seem to have a background in this either. The board has done a lot of due diligence on him, with some of the board being solicitors themselves so I hope it doesn't end in tears. Would be great to see the Borough back up to the National League, just seems a bit sad it'll be without Bloor when one of the reasons supposedly for the investment was Bloor.

Curious also to see if Borough will turn professional in the next few years.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Feel very sorry for Danny. He clearly loves the club and has put his heart and soul into it, and massively over-achieved on the budget he worked with.

The new owner will have a hard job replacing him, especially if the new recruit has to sign up to the technobabble in the press release.

At this stage I'm struggling to really understand what the club is aiming for. It's always been a humble, grassroots organisation that essentially serves its community, and that community isn't really Eastbourne as a whole ... a lot of locals, even those who like football, have never set foot in the place or even know where it is.

If the town had a tradition of just one senior club, and it was based more centrally, maybe you'd argue that league status was a realistic ambition. But Langney Sports/Eastbourne Borough fans have always seemed happy enough with the current level of football (though the Conference years were quite fun at times).

What crowds would Boro get if they were a full-time club in League 2? I'd say still below 2,000 against teams like Sutton, Barrow or Harrogate. Bigger crowds against Gillingham, Colchester or Swindon, but I'd expect the away fans to outnumber the home fans a lot of the time.

As someone who grew up in Eastbourne I always wondered whether the town could sustain a league club. Without an owner who's prepared to lose an awful lot of money to subsidise it, I'm afraid I don't think it can.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I'm curious too as the new owner, Simon Leslie, doesn't seem to have a background in this either. The board has done a lot of due diligence on him, with some of the board being solicitors themselves so I hope it doesn't end in tears. Would be great to see the Borough back up to the National League, just seems a bit sad it'll be without Bloor when one of the reasons supposedly for the investment was Bloor.

Curious also to see if Borough will turn professional in the next few years.
They want to train during the day from next season, which means one of the lads who works for me, Greg Luer, will be looking for another club.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Feel very sorry for Danny. He clearly loves the club and has put his heart and soul into it, and massively over-achieved on the budget he worked with.

The new owner will have a hard job replacing him, especially if the new recruit has to sign up to the technobabble in the press release.

At this stage I'm struggling to really understand what the club is aiming for. It's always been a humble, grassroots organisation that essentially serves its community, and that community isn't really Eastbourne as a whole ... a lot of locals, even those who like football, have never set foot in the place or even know where it is.

If the town had a tradition of just one senior club, and it was based more centrally, maybe you'd argue that league status was a realistic ambition. But Langney Sports/Eastbourne Borough fans have always seemed happy enough with the current level of football (though the Conference years were quite fun at times).

What crowds would Boro get if they were a full-time club in League 2? I'd say still below 2,000 against teams like Sutton, Barrow or Harrogate. Bigger crowds against Gillingham, Colchester or Swindon, but I'd expect the away fans to outnumber the home fans a lot of the time.

As someone who grew up in Eastbourne I always wondered whether the town could sustain a league club. Without an owner who's prepared to lose an awful lot of money to subsidise it, I'm afraid I don't think it can.
Agree with this. It's just not an ideal place for a stadium. Yes, there's a lot of land round by Langley Sports for an expansion of the stadium, but the buses aren't great and people who go and watch Town and United won't suddenly go and watch Borough. I think everyone is happy with Conference South with the odd year or two in the Conference.

I used to go with my dad when I was younger as he is based around Sovereign Harbour, had he been more central I would imagine we would've watched Town at The Saffrons. Perhaps with this investment and some marketing, the club could sustain a decent amount. They have already shown they can get 2-3000 a game in the Conference.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
They want to train during the day from next season, which means one of the lads who works for me, Greg Luer, will be looking for another club.
I mentioned in the Non League thread that I wondered if Borough would go professional soon. I guess this answers a lot.

Out of curiosity, does Greg want to stay at semi-pro level then? I know he's played league football before so he's clearly capable.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
This AI stuff baffles me, just last week it threw up on here the All Time Albion XI, Kuipers in goal, Mullers in midfield and no sign of Lawrenson. Speaks volumes ;)
Consumer-level software, with a restricted (out-of-date) data set and potentially simplified input (questioning).

Not really indicative of where AI is at.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004

As a long time eastbourne resident within 10 mins walk of the ground that's a very accurate assessment.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
By Eastbourne borough?
7oexpk.jpg

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I mentioned in the Non League thread that I wondered if Borough would go professional soon. I guess this answers a lot.

Out of curiosity, does Greg want to stay at semi-pro level then? I know he's played league football before so he's clearly capable.
He was in the same Hull City Under 23 side as Bowen, Maguire and Robertson unfortunately he got a serious ankle injury and he had to go part time.

Hopefully he will end up at Worthing.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
New owner putting his stamp on things. It's a real shame as Bloor has done a fantastic job at Borough, really turning them around from just surviving to fighting at the top end.
Agreed, Danny has been a great servant to Sussex non-league soccer for many years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here