Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Unbelievable ....

Greer passes the ball backwards to:

Retain Possession
Allow Team Mates to Regain Shape
Control the Tempo of the Game

East Stand Moaners shout "Forward" "Bloody Forward"

Hammond hesitates on playing the ball forward and turns 180 and plays it to Dunk so that Buckley isn't flagged offside

East Stand Moaners shout "Forward, bloody forward"

We were 2-0 up and people were slating the team FFS

It's not the 1970's where players are judged solely on how hard they tackle or how far they hoof the ball. We need to retain possession, build up the play, be prepared to switch and try another route.

Get behind the lads and appreciate some very good football.

Thanks for reading!

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Greer was so negative tonight with his passing, even i was getting frustrated towards the end.

He had plenty of easy opportunities to pass it forward.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Greer was so negative tonight with his passing, even i was getting frustrated towards the end.

He had plenty of easy opportunities to pass it forward.

Dozens and dozens of examples when simple forward passes were completely ignored. REALLY got frustrating in the second half. Posession football has a purpose, that is the point. You keep the ball, work your opponents out of position and strike. We don't do that. We knock it about a bit at the back, give it to Kuszczak to smack forward and then carry on with the game. Two goals from set pieces tonight and we really never looked liked scoring from open play, the final ball was terrible and the service to Hoskins and then CMS was pretty shocking. Awful team performance on the night and it was a night of serious frustration in the stands. I get what we try and do, but it wasn't easy to watch tonight. I thought we were pretty boring actually.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Unbelievable ....

Retain Possession

Hammond hesitates on playing the ball forward and turns 180 and plays it to Dunk so that Buckley isn't flagged offside

It's not the 1970's where players are judged solely on how hard they tackle or how far they hoof the ball. We need to retain possession, build up the play, be prepared to switch and try another route.

Thanks for reading!

Which is all well and good, but it doesn't excuse passing the ball backwards or sideways when there's a decent forward option available, which is often the case.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Watch Greer's head, he always looks to pass back first, they should be asking themselves " can I pass it forward? no, can I pass it sideways? no, then I will pass it back" They do it the other way around!

Also, did you notice how they do very little one touch passing if any? Number of times the ball goes to someone and they control it then have a player on them, a quick touch on to the next player and we can break away...

At least it was a win..

My Name Is Gully

May 9, 2008
Dorset
Unbelievable ....

Retain Possession

Thanks for reading!

You must sit near to me ..... WTF were they on!!!!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Which is all well and good, but it doesn't excuse passing the ball backwards or sideways when there's a decent forward option available, which is often the case.

You're right there were some times when the ball could have gone forward and frustratingly in the final third. My points were also many times when it wouldn't have been right too and we shouldn't be jumping on players backs when we're 2-0 up and unbeaten in six games (albeit three frustrating draws that should have been wins).

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Watch Greer's head, he always looks to pass back first, they should be asking themselves " can I pass it forward? no, can I pass it sideways? no, then I will pass it back" They do it the other way around!

Also, did you notice how they do very little one touch passing if any? Number of times the ball goes to someone and they control it then have a player on them, a quick touch on to the next player and we can break away...

At least it was a win..

Greer looks for passes forward, and to the left. Doesn't matter who we play at rightback, because he'll rarely ( if ever) get a pass from Gordon

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I dont see Greer as the only person who looks for the sideways/back option first..and to be honest tonight for me was all about the result even if it meant a 'scratchy' game....saw a good one this past saturday and boy the number of moans on here after.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Greer's first port of call being a sideways/backwards pass does become more and more frustrating each time there were options going forward

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton

At least it was a win..

I've noticed that Orlandi, Bruno, etc tend to do a lot of first touch passes. Bruno can even turn a cross-field ball into a perfectly weighted short pass :drool:

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
I've got the world's worst behind me on ESU. He gives a loud running commentary throughout the match and from time to time, shouts instructions at the players. I need earplugs.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
The booing five minutes before the end when the ball got passed back to Kuzsczak was unbelievable. Match wasn't a classic but the three points never looked in doubt after half an hour. Glad I switch between the north and south stand.

Dozens and dozens of examples when simple forward passes were completely ignored. REALLY got frustrating in the second half. Posession football has a purpose, that is the point. You keep the ball, work your opponents out of position and strike. We don't do that. We knock it about a bit at the back, give it to Kuszczak to smack forward and then carry on with the game. Two goals from set pieces tonight and we really never looked liked scoring from open play, the final ball was terrible and the service to Hoskins and then CMS was pretty shocking. Awful team performance on the night and it was a night of serious frustration in the stands. I get what we try and do, but it wasn't easy to watch tonight. I thought we were pretty boring actually.

Apart from when Hoskins had a one on one with the keeper and shot into his legs and Orlandi ballooned over the headed knock back from 8 yards and.............

yeah it wasn't a great performance like Bolton but thats football and three points in the bag.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Any game where we are 1-0 up on 6 minutes we will slow it down and knock it about, it's what we do and we've been doing it for THREE YEARS. Anyone not up to date with it by now isn't going to "get it" :lol:

Sergei Gotsmanov

Russian international
Jun 3, 2007
Hove
I had the same moaning in W.Lower last night. So many people seem to think they know the game better than the pro's. Maybe there was a player available to receive the ball. But consider what was around him, was he in a congested area of the pitch and likely to lose the ball if he received it? It can look easy and obvious from the stands but is rarely as clear at pitch level. Part of keeping the ball deep is to frustrate the opposing team and draw them out to make the space. Unfortunately this will also frustrate the dimwits who don't know what's going on.

People seemed lost for their scapegoat in the absence of Barnes but soon decided it was Hammond. Some people just need to have someone to blame I guess.

And as for people booing, which I also heard, absolutely disgraceful. Glad none of them were near me as not sure I could have prevented myself from commenting on their commitment levels. 2-0 up, comfortable, just outside the playoffs and on a decent unbeaten run. Hate to think what the place will be like when we are proper shit again if that ever happens.

Agree that a little more one touch and quicker passing could open up the gaps more.

Oh well. If we all had the same opinions the world would be a boring place.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
It was the same in the WSL last night. Harley, Barnes and CMS didn't play (who are their usual targets for a constant stream of vitriol) so resorted to battering Greer, remaining stoically silent when he made two absolutely top calls defensive blocks and hammering him for being over defensive when retaining posession.

The thing I found most funny was the absolute fury at us not throwing the kitchen sink at Bristol City for that last 5 minutes when the team were clearly under orders to keep it tight and not take any unnecessary risks after our recent late, late lapses of concentration.

That said there was much laughter in the second half when Greer looked up, saw Bruno run, saw CMS drop deep to receive and saw Bridcutt move into space , before rolling the ball back to Kuszczak... From about 15 yards in the opposition half!!!!! (Obviously Kuszczak then wasted a bit of time before hammering the ball out of play)

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I just find it odd that any supporter can think they are helping by knocking the confidence of a player?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here