Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Earthquake

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Very loud bang in Wolverhampton - I thought someone was trying to kick in the front door and the missus thought that a car had crashed into the house next door.

I was surprised at the loudness of it all!

That wasn't an earthquake.

Central Wolverhampton last night:

400x400markmcgheenewct5.jpg

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
people felt it here in cheltenham - being the lazy git i am, i slept right through it

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I do remember the 1984 one as I was living in Mid-Cheshire so not far from epicentre -- was around 5 AM and the whole house shook like buggery.

Given in the early 80's the Cold War was coming to a head (anyone remember Threads on the BBC?) I honestly thought the Bomb had dropped for a few seconds.

So my whole life has been a bonus since then...... ;)

I was living on the Wirral in 1984 and also remember the Earthquake there, I was woken from my kip by the rumble, I too thought the world was ending...

Threads is available on Google Video BTW

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
Sorry everyone, I fell out of bed last night at about one-ish.

Did anyone notice?

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
The reaction to this earthquake is brilliant. In Kenilworth I can report that, my front door rattled a bit, next door neighbours dog barked for 10 seconds and I rolled over and went back to sleep after taking a sip of Water. If I had to be quoted as to my reaction it would be ‘I was somewhat indifferent to a bit of noise and rumbling at 1:00 in the morning’

Some of the comments on the BBC website though suggest that we hit 11 in San Francisco 1906 rather than a puny 5 in Market Rasen. Here is some of my favourite hyberbole :
Tom Edwards, from Heckington, Lincolnshire, said "I thought I was probably going to get killed."
Lynn Crombie in Norwich said she was "absolutely terrified"

And the best ‘I thought it was terrorists’ (You know those terrorists that target the SPAR in Lincoln at 01:00 on a Tuesday as a symbol of the capitalist West)

What is the Damage Report from such a disaster? A few Chimneys toppled over and a mans cupboards doors flew open.

rothergull

Worthing ex pat
Jan 25, 2008
rotherham
A 19 year old lad was taken to hospital last night when the quake caused the chimney to fall through the roof of his house and landed on him whilst in bed at Wombwell about 2 miles from me.

sod1

Jan 12, 2008
Brasov , Romania
i live about 10 miles from where the epicentre was.Strangely enough i woke up about 5 mins before it happened , basically when it did it lasted for about 5 seconds ,it shook the whole house quite badly and i shat myself ,thinking" what the f*ck is going on", while clinging tightly to the mattress and expecting the house to collapse

my immediate thoughts were that one of the old coal mines had caused major subsidance.

Set of Tracksuits

Oct 27, 2003
Leicester
Was watching TV when it happened up here in Leicester. Really weird feeling, like a tube train passing right under our living room floor.

I suddenly felt really paranoid that it was only our house that was shaking due to some catastrophic structural problem and that it would come crashing down on me, before everyone in the street started shouting about it being an earthquake.

As someone already said, I would hate to experience a proper one like they have in Japan.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
It started about 15 miles away from us, causing the house to shake and all car alarms to be sounded.

All this because Grimsby won last night and may be going to Wembley :lol:
Luckily the house is only 5 years old so when the house was shaking about I thought there wouldn't be any damage. The missus asked me what had just occurred and I said "oh it's just an earthquake" . Looked out of the bedroom window to see that all the other neighbours were peering out too. As it was accompanied by a large bang we thought that the only other thing it could have been was the oil refineries or one of the chemical factories on the Humber bank blowing up.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
The reaction to this earthquake is brilliant. In Kenilworth I can report that, my front door rattled a bit, next door neighbours dog barked for 10 seconds and I rolled over and went back to sleep after taking a sip of Water. If I had to be quoted as to my reaction it would be ‘I was somewhat indifferent to a bit of noise and rumbling at 1:00 in the morning’

Some of the comments on the BBC website though suggest that we hit 11 in San Francisco 1906 rather than a puny 5 in Market Rasen. Here is some of my favourite hyberbole :
Tom Edwards, from Heckington, Lincolnshire, said "I thought I was probably going to get killed."
Lynn Crombie in Norwich said she was "absolutely terrified"

And the best ‘I thought it was terrorists’ (You know those terrorists that target the SPAR in Lincoln at 01:00 on a Tuesday as a symbol of the capitalist West)

What is the Damage Report from such a disaster? A few Chimneys toppled over and a mans cupboards doors flew open.

typical british over reaction really

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I blame global warming - I reckon the land is still bouncing back up after the last ice-age.

Amazing how the brain can wake from a deep sleep, and quickly realise "oh, another earthquake". I was starting to get annoyed when it kept going, though.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
All day they've been talking about the bloody earthquake on the radio. Aaargh!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here