Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Early Local Election results - UKIP smashing it

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
I agree, there are no alternatives for many but sadly if they win in the local and Euro elections as predicted they are going to have a lot of power, this is not about the BNP winning the odd seat this is different and on a very much larger scale.

You have 2 options on election night, vote or don't bother.
If people who are fed up with the main parties do not vote, it's seen as voter apathy by the politicians and nothing changes.

If you vote and vote UKIP, this will make the main parties deal with the issues before the next general election.

All UKIP are doing is cashing in on people's fears, the main parties need to start listening.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Which will give the same result in a general election, god labour in charge feck me nooooo......

I don't think it'll be the same. I personally think next general election will force either a re-election or a coalition dependent on the mood of Nick Clegg on the morning of negotiations. If the result is reflective of tonight's election, then well. Bye bye Liberal Democrats and hello 2-party system. We'll fall down the U.S style of politics and what a shame that'll be.

Why couldn't David Miliband have been Labour leader?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
UKIP may gain votes but they won't gain seats, so therefore no real threat, the conservatives will take on board the anti vote, and when it comes to the general election they will win as people won't trust UKIP to be in charge of the country...... Nothing to see here

I seriously can't believe you say "nothing to see here."

This is massive. It isn't about seats / councillors - it will be about the share of the vote and the shock waves it will send throughthe established parties and how they respond. If you don't think this will shape the short to medium term nature of politics in the UK then you are deluded. Somehow the main parties have taken their eye of the ball and this will be all about UKIP and Farage.

The complacent "nothing to see here attitude" is what has led to the UKIP rise in Britsih politics. As I said - tonight the political landscape will change.

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
UKIP may gain votes but they won't gain seats, so therefore no real threat, the conservatives will take on board the anti vote, and when it comes to the general election they will win as people won't trust UKIP to be in charge of the country...... Nothing to see here

It will be seats in the Euro elections though, actual representatives making decision about all of our lives

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
It will be seats in the Euro elections though, actual representatives making decision about all of our lives

The EU already do that, laws and polices made by the EU and not a lot our government( who are elected by us) can do about it.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Ah, exit polls, ok. I didn't have the sound up. Saw a "strong showing" in Eastleigh and Great Yarmouth for UKIP a couple of other councils had "UKIP on the ballot" some suggesting Labour to hold or take some from Tories. One headline said LidDems expected a decent showing, then they had Vince Cable in the studio and his headline quote was that they expect a difficult night. Now got the sound up, but don't anticipate staying up late to watch. Apparently 66 councils are expected to declare over night. 161 councils in total, one declared, 160 to go.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Unofficial news that UKIP has won their first seat

EDIT

First wins for Ukip

The Hull Daily Mail reports that Ukip has gained a council seat:

Labour's former Lord Mayor David Gemmell has conceded defeat to UKIP. He tells us: "I can't complain - I've had a good run over 26 years."

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
As a tiny group in the European Parliament, how exactly will their representatives make any difference to decisions about our lives?

Their members are on committees changing rules and regulations across Europe every day, and sadly their small group is growing as they align themselves with more and more right-wings nuts from across the continent.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Unofficial news that UKIP has won their first seat

confirmed.

Senior labour politicians qouted on front page of the Times tomorrow saying Milliband has got it wrong. Carnage.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
"Next, we need a pact with Ukip. If David Cameron is as serious about an In/Out vote in 2017 as he says he is, and if Nigel Farage is as serious about Brexit as he claims, the two of them need to do a deal."

"There is pressure on David Cameron from the Tory eurosceptic right. Douglas Carswell, a leading eurosceptic who favours a UK exit from the EU, says the Tories should form a general election pact with Ukip."

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
"Next, we need a pact with Ukip. If David Cameron is as serious about an In/Out vote in 2017 as he says he is, and if Nigel Farage is as serious about Brexit as he claims, the two of them need to do a deal."

"There is pressure on David Cameron from the Tory eurosceptic right. Douglas Carswell, a leading eurosceptic who favours a UK exit from the EU, says the Tories should form a general election pact with Ukip."

Never going to happen,

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
"Confirmation of reader Ganesh Rao's early tip: the mayor of Sunderland, Labour's Bob Heron, loses his seat to an independent candidate in the Copt Hill ward."

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
"UKIP causing mayhem in Portsmouth" - Labour council leader.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
" Reports that the MP and former Lib Dem Mike Hancock has lost his council seat in Portsmouth to Ukip:"

CHAOS

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I seriously can't believe you say "nothing to see here."

This is massive. It isn't about seats / councillors - it will be about the share of the vote and the shock waves it will send throughthe established parties and how they respond. If you don't think this will shape the short to medium term nature of politics in the UK then you are deluded. Somehow the main parties have taken their eye of the ball and this will be all about UKIP and Farage.

The complacent "nothing to see here attitude" is what has led to the UKIP rise in Britsih politics. As I said - tonight the political landscape will change.

I stand by nothing to see here, as long term the British public will not vote for a party that is allegedly right wing. It is a protest vote and only the conservatives can claw back those votes and in a general election they will. I agree it is a big kick up the arse, but we are inherently a tolerant society and won't stand for right wing views.

Although I must say everyone who votes UKIP IS NOT a moron, they have concerns and if people in middle class Brighton and Hove dismiss them as moronic they don't understand the uk as a whole.

ChicagoGull

May 17, 2014
Percentage change in all Sunderland seats so far 1400798661769.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here