Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Early 80's doc on Football Hooliganism (Brighton are mentioned)

arkan

Jan 26, 2010
Sittingbourne
Few years before my time.
But interesting LWT report on Football violence/firm tactics.
Includes the infamous Cass Pennant and crowd troubles between BHAFC & Chelsea.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Interesting that the programme mentions the possibility of professional football being banned in this country, something almost unthinkable nowadays. With the Thatcher government at the time, and with falling attendances and rising hooliganism, how close was the professional game to dying?

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
It clearly indicates that Chelski were the aggressors and the antagonists. But yeah, as said before, times have changed and we've moved on. Won't be returning to scenes from the Football Factory any time soon.

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
Just watched all of that thought Malcolm McDonald was quite sensible, especially considering Brighton fans turned his car over years ago at Luton. Who remembers that

life on mars 73

Oct 19, 2010
Interesting that the programme mentions the possibility of professional football being banned in this country, something almost unthinkable nowadays. With the Thatcher government at the time, and with falling attendances and rising hooliganism, how close was the professional game to dying?

Crowds and revenues were low and getting lower, but the main problem was that it became a bit embarrassing to admit that you liked football and went to matches. People looked at you as if you were a bit weird. I actually gave up going to football for a year or two following the multiple disasters of 1985. Dreadful times.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Ahh bless a clip of Selhurst park at 24 mins pre Sainsbury. Nice to see that bar adding a few seats to the front few rows the Arthur Waite is EXACTLY the same as it was for our visit the other night. :lol:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Great time to pull this video put before Millwall tomorrow, is that sensible really?

What on earth are you talking about?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I am just saying that we as do other clubs have people who will watch this and get them "excited" and millwall have a reputation currently

I see. Well you needn't worry, I can categorically guarantee that that video being posted will not make the slightest bit of difference to anything at tomorrow's game, so you can sleep easy.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Great time to pull this video put before Millwall tomorrow, is that sensible really?

If there are people that get exited by things like this I doubt he OP posting this will have any effect on them. Shirley if they wanted something to get their adrenalin going they would just put on their copy of The Firm, The Football Factory or I.D.

Tony Le Mesmer

Jul 5, 2003
South Wales
When we played Chelsea at home in 1983/84 the Goldstone crowd was approximately 21,000.
According to Ralph, Chelsea bought 15,000 fans down.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I believe the figure mentioned at the time was about 10,000. From the West stand, that figure seemed to be correct.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here