Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Earliest / Quickest Albion sending off?

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Rod Thomas. The Winstone Bogarde of Brighton. Content to DJ and collect his salary and retire, avoiding any bruising or inconvenience on the pitch. The pillock

No absolutely not. Rod Thomas, one of the things that made going Gillingham worth it.

I don't think it's any surprise that his cult value is largely ignored, because most current Brighton fans never saw him play at Gillingham.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
No absolutely not. Rod Thomas, one of the things that made going Gillingham worth it.

I don't think it's any surprise that his cult value is largely ignored, because most current Brighton fans never saw him play at Gillingham.

Dare I say RT s full length instinctive dive to palm the ball away and prevent a goal Was a highlight ?
Yes it did give away a penalty but hey ho The Dark gallows humour of those times kept you going back

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I can only speak for myself. I saw every game at Gillingham including the one where Moralee got his majestic consolation against Millwall. Thomas was OK for a short while but our standout player then was Jeff Minton. For cult value I'd go for the floppy haired goal machine that was oo ah, oo ah, oo ah, Richie Baakaa! Thomas got a couple of red cards so I recall, and the total lack of interest as time passed is not something to celebrate. Not cult, but change one letter and you'd have something more in keeping with his legacy. :wink:

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon

He was the only thing worth watching really in our time up there.
Sadly in a way I enjoyed Gillingham as everyone one of us up there were proper fans.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
I can only speak for myself. I saw every game at Gillingham including the one where Moralee got his majestic consolation against Millwall. Thomas was OK for a short while but our standout player then was Jeff Minton. For cult value I'd go for the floppy haired goal machine that was oo ah, oo ah, oo ah, Richie Baakaa! Thomas got a couple of red cards so I recall, and the total lack of interest as time passed is not something to celebrate. Not cult, but change one letter and you'd have something more in keeping with his legacy. :wink:

That’s dusted some more cobwebs out my mind HWT
Ritchie Ritchie the bear everyone knows his name To the Rupert the bear tune
Either that or my memory’s playing tricks

Braggfan

May 12, 2014

The season Horton left Minton and Thomas were outstanding together. In fact at one point we weren't a million miles off playoffs, not super close, but within reach. Thomas getting injured coincided with a the team having a bad dip in form.

Barker was good but frustrating. There's no doubt Barker performed better for other clubs after he left us (which was probalbly more about us than him).

And as good as Minton's passing was, Thomas had flair and would absolutely skin players. That was something we sorely lacked, and he was much better than 'ok for a short while'. He never really hit the same form when Adams came in, but under Horton he was definitely our stand out player.

It is all relative, no Thomas wasnt the best player we've ever had. But in the seasons leading up to his arrival we'd been starved of anyone with flair, and he definitely provided it at Gillingham.

I think its sad that his input is not even a footnote, but forgotten. And I don't like to hear him dismissed as having a crap attitude because I think he was good for us, and provided some much needed entertainment and hope on the pitch.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
For cult value I'd go for the floppy haired goal machine that was oo ah, oo ah, oo ah, Richie Baakaa! Thomas got a couple of red cards so I recall, and the total lack of interest as time passed is not something to celebrate. Not cult, but change one letter and you'd have something more in keeping with his legacy. :wink:

Celt maybe? or Colt? :blush:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The season Horton left Minton and Thomas were outstanding together. In fact at one point we weren't a million miles off playoffs, not super close, but within reach. Thomas getting injured coincided with a the team having a bad dip in form.

Barker was good but frustrating. There's no doubt Barker performed better for other clubs after he left us (which was probalbly more about us than him).

And as good as Minton's passing was, Thomas had flair and would absolutely skin players. That was something we sorely lacked, and he was much better than 'ok for a short while'. He never really hit the same form when Adams came in, but under Horton he was definitely our stand out player.

It is all relative, no Thomas wasnt the best player we've ever had. But in the seasons leading up to his arrival we'd been starved of anyone with flair, and he definitely provided it at Gillingham.

I think its sad that his input is not even a footnote, but forgotten. And I don't like to hear him dismissed as having a crap attitude because I think he was good for us, and provided some much needed entertainment and hope on the pitch.

Fair enough. Very well explained :thumbsup:

Sadly I'm man who can bear a grudge :whistle: :wink:

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
At the other end of the spectrum I remember Gary Hart getting sent off as the full time whistle was blown at the Withdean once. Maybe against Northampton?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
At the other end of the spectrum I remember Gary Hart getting sent off as the full time whistle was blown at the Withdean once. Maybe against Northampton?

He got a red (possibly second yellow) at home to Exeter on 13 Feb 1999, a red (possibly second yellow) at home against Halifax on March 4 2000, a straight red at home to Wimbledon on Feb 4 2003, a straight red away to Preson on April 5 2005, a red (possibly second yellow) at home to Palace on 20th Nov 2005, and a red at home against Huddersfield on 19th Jan 2008.

What a dirty *******! :lolol:

Yes, at the other end of the spectrum indeed. Loved OGH. Back when the Mailing List was busy, I organised an annual Oh Gary Hart competition where we predicted his season's goal tally with the closed predictor winning a singed programme at the last home game (kindly arranged by Martin Perry). I recall that one season the winner was the person who predicted the fewest goals :facepalm:. He is a current regular poster on NSC. :whistle:

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

We were, indeed, in the play-off spots (seventh) in early January. We had just set a new club record of five successive away league victories (which included the "Ifejiagwa" win at Barnet and the nine-man, 2-0 win at Hull City). Horton was doing a pretty amazing job with the resources he had available to him.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Another Brighton leg end. I saw him score a goal in a 1-5 defeat to Millwall in the Freight Rover trophy at Pissfilled. It was emotional.

Tried his hardest to miss that from about a yard out in the middle of the goal and no keeper. Berk then kissed the badge....everyone behind the goal just laughed at him!!

Think that put us 1 up as well. I also seem to recall there were more Millwall fans there than Brighton.

Ahhhhhh great days!

However I'm with [MENTION=29447]Braggfan[/MENTION] re: Rod Thomas.

matt

Mar 19, 2007
Has any player been sent off on his full debut for the club? I remember a match against Brentford where we had a lad sent off. I can't remember his name (Watson?) nor whether it was his full debut or not?

Graham Barrett at Portsmouth I think. During the Hinshelwood Golden Era.

I think Guy Butters made his debut in that one too. And gave away a penalty.

Braggfan

May 12, 2014
We were, indeed, in the play-off spots (seventh) in early January. We had just set a new club record of five successive away league victories (which included the "Ifejiagwa" win at Barnet and the nine-man, 2-0 win at Hull City). Horton was doing a pretty amazing job with the resources he had available to him.

There was definitely a spell there, we were playing well.

I remember Gary Hart scoring an absolute screamer at preistfield. It was a midweek game, i think against Shrewsbury (i may be mixing that up). I remember the crowd chanting "who the f*** needs michael owen, who the f*** needs michael owen, who the f*** needs michael owen, when we've got GARY HART HART HART".

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Tried his hardest to miss that from about a yard out in the middle of the goal and no keeper. Berk then kissed the badge....everyone behind the goal just laughed at him!!

Think that put us 1 up as well. I also seem to recall there were more Millwall fans there than Brighton.

Ahhhhhh great days!

However I'm with [MENTION=29447]Braggfan[/MENTION] re: Rod Thomas.

Correct. I think it hit the underside of the cross bat from a yard out

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Correct. I think it hit the underside of the cross bat from a yard out

I like the sound of a cross bat :thumbsup:

Here's a heartwarming picture of the great man

jamie-moralee-of-brighton-and-hove-albion-football-club-G4D9XR.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here