Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Earliest / Quickest Albion sending off?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Gary Elphick? First game, I think - first tackle and off.

Edit: apparently he played twice for us - but that sending off was just about his first involvement in the game, and I don't think he played for us again.

Good for him that after that he got to the PL before we did!

It was Tommy Elphick that got to the PL before we did with Plucky. Gary went into non league football and never played above conference/national league after leaving us. The sending off against Reading was about 50 mins into the match, was his full debut after a sub appearance. Tommy came off the bench and made his first Brighton appearance in the same game.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It was Tommy Elphick that got to the PL before we did with Plucky. Gary went into non league football and never played above conference/national league after leaving us. The sending off against Reading was about 50 mins into the match, was his full debut after a sub appearance. Tommy came off the bench and made his first Brighton appearance in the same game.

Quite right - my error! :facepalm:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Has any player been sent off on his full debut for the club? I remember a match against Brentford where we had a lad sent off. I can't remember his name (Watson?) nor whether it was his full debut or not?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Didnt Greer get sent off on his debut ?

Yes, yes he did, I forgot that (I was on my hols)

He was sent off in successive games as he missed the opening game for us as he was still suspended from the previous one!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes, yes he did, I forgot that (I was on my hols)

He was sent off in successive games as he missed the opening game for us as he was still suspended from the previous one!

Greer got a red card in the playoffs with Swindon, so his suspension continued into his move to us. He missed the first game, which, iirc, was at Swindon.
He then played at Withdean & got a red card with us.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Greer got a red card in the playoffs with Swindon, so his suspension continued into his move to us. He missed the first game, which, iirc, was at Swindon.

Remember saying to my son 'what a waste of money' :dunce:

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

Correct decision about the red card, wrong about the subsequent penalty.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Just checked. Was definitely at Scunthorpe. Came on with 1 minute of normal time left and was sent off after 59 seconds without touching the ball (during Jeff Wood’s terrible run of defeats in 1999).

Fair enough I remember being there when It happened
For some reason I thought it was at the Rainham end at the Priestfield
Perhaps a lowlights reel of the Priestfield years might give a few on here a better perspective of the current situation:lolol:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Fair enough I remember being there when It happened
For some reason I thought it was at the Rainham end at the Priestfield
Perhaps a lowlights reel of the Priestfield years might give a few on here a better perspective of the current situation:lolol:

Lowlights being the operative word about everything that occured at Priestfield. God awful place. Maybe we should be grateful that someone hosted our games for a couple of years.

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
What's the earliest an Albion player has been sent off, leaving us a man down for the longest time?

And also the quickest when on as a sub? I remember Calde being sent off at Elland Road something like five minutes after he came on in 2013 (The El -Hadji Diouf game).

As a sub has to be Colin Hawkins. Came on didn't touch the ball was sent off.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Count remember the timings but the two red cards at home to Burnley?

17th December 2011, the day after my 50th Birthday and I sponsored the bleedin' game and we were 0-1 down (Dambusters game)

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
SittingbourneSeagull;972 0568 said:
As a sub has to be Colin Hawkins. Came on didn't touch the ball was sent off.

Came on for Dean Cox after Tommy Elphick had been sent off, promptly gave away a penalty from and was sent straight off. Hawkins never played for us again. Liam Bridcutt got also got sent off for Stockport late on.

Finished off a pretty miserable week for us as the Stockport game came straight after the Huddersfield game where Kuipers was sent off.

A cracking highlights video of The Hawk here, we can laugh now.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here