Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Earliest Albion FA Cup memory?

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
Scunthorpe at home in 91. The tie before we drew Liverpool away. Gurinovich (pound shop Gotsmanov) notched I think?

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
Although bizarrely I do remember my Fad and his mate watching the 83 Cup Final. We was living abroad and I had no affiliation with BHA being I was only 4! But do remember that like yesterday. Meant to be a Seagull I guess.

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
Mine was a miserable afternoon watching the mighty Oxford beat us 3-0 at The Goldstone

They were an up and coming side back then tbf

I think they even won the League Cup not so long after

Even Walton & Hersham had recently won the FA Amateur Cup prior to playing us

Leatherhead on the other hand :lolol:

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Not earliest but I went to the Bolton game in the early 90s and was very impressed that they put a line on the away terrace to let supporters know that if they stood one side of it they wouldn't be able to see the whole pitch.

Very considerate of them

...and profoundly unerotic strippers in a local pub before the game

Very considerate of them

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
I remember the 1967 Chelsea game , but the first FA cup match was in 1968 against Kidderminster, we drew 2-2 , we won the replay away 1-0

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Listening to the BBC radio commentary (second half only in those days) - Brighton 3 Champions of England 3. Great goal (according to the commentator) from Jack Bertolini.

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
My earliest memory of the cup was the three games against Palace with the third game at Stamford Bridge which kicked off the rivalry

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Wasn't living near Brighton and not sure I was old enough to be aware of the family connection to the area either at that time but watching the 83 cup final on TV is very clear, and watching the replay even more so. 82 World Cup is my earliest football memory so it stands to reason this is also my earliest FA Cup memory. Either that or destined to be a Seagull.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Bit like the 6-2 win, 33 years later.

I think I'm right in saying that that game saw Aldershot's record crowd, just over six thousand of which I was one.
I was also there 33 years earlier for the 0-0 in 1967.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Albion v Liverpool, January 1984.
My mum and dad had friends round so I was watching the game on the telly in their room upstairs.
When Gerry Ryan popped it over grobelaarc I ran downstairs and told everyone.
A minute later I was back down again.
My folks and their friends weren’t that bothered but I remember the excitement like it was yesterday.
That was the day I fell in love with the Albion.

Reinelt 62

Jul 5, 2003
Here's a different one.

Colchester at home November 63. Lost 0-1.

But looking at my copy of Carder, it was the best Goldstone attendance of the season, 13,848, except for the home league game v Gillingham who were the eventual Champions.

Back when the FA Cup meant something to fans.

Then Chelsea home and away in 67. Was the reserve game, that one had to get Chelsea tickets through, against Notts County?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Away to Aldershot sometime in the 60’s is my first clear memory although not my first cup game I think. One f very few games I went to with my father which is why it stands out. A deadly dull 0-0 draw in exceedingly wet and windy weather sheltering under a tin roof “stand”

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
My earliest memory of the cup was the three games against Palace with the third game at Stamford Bridge which kicked off the rivalry

Blimey, thought I was going to get through the whole thread without anyone mentioning it. Alas I didn't get to go to Stamford Bridge but saw the other two.. Bloody Rachid Harkouk who seemed to disappear into obscurity after that.

Just checked his Wiki page. Had only 20 appearances for Palace and only about 250 in total. Under the heading Personal Life, it describes him going into business when he retired. It seems he chose the wrong business as the next line describes him going to jail for selling illegal drugs!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here