Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] E.T came home for Christmas

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
No it is what I think. Are we not allo/wed on nsc now to say what you think and have a firm belief ?
But the language you use does not feel like you’re expressing your own personal opinion. Most of your statements in this thread and almost every other time you mention Spielberg are written in overly declarative language that make your statements seem like you are stating your opinions as facts.

You’ve been doing it for years and it’s why we all ribbed you with that Hook thread years ago. You’ve mellowed out in your old age but your language re this silly advert is very much the old US back in force.

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Don’t go flouncing if this goes tits up

You would love that but no fella I am going to bed now. Try and start an argument on aonther thread. Sweet dreams sweetypie xx

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
But the language you use does not feel like you’re expressing you’re own personal opinion. Most of your statements in this thread and almost every other time you mention Spielberg are written in overly declarative language that make your statements seem like you are stating your opinions as facts.

You’ve been doing it for years and it’s why we all ribbed you with that Hook thread years ago. You’ve mellowed out in your old age but your language re this silly advert is very much the old US back in force.

I am not going to change at 57 but thanks anyway

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
But the language you use does not feel like you’re expressing you’re own personal opinion. Most of your statements in this thread and almost every other time you mention Spielberg are written in overly declarative language that make your statements seem like you are stating your opinions as facts.

That is a fair comment actually but do we not all think what we think is right ? Seems odd to me if you do not

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
That is a fair comment actually but do we not all think what we think is right ? Seems odd to me if you do not

2001: A Space Odyssey is my favourite film = an opinion.

2001: A Space Odyssey is the best film ever made = opinion presented as fact.

There’s a difference.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
2001: A Space Odyssey is my favourite film = an opinion.

2001: A Space Odyssey is the best film ever made = opinion presented as fact.

There’s a difference.

Fair comment. I need to be less passionate about what I believe

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
E.T has come home for Christmas and is saying, "Another bloody row. Same as every year."

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I love this advert. That is all

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Amyway it is a great advert and I believe that but I might have to consult my legal team before I can declare that

Or you could say, “In my opinion this is a great advert” which would be an opinion pure and simple and not an opinion presented as a fact.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Or you could say, “In my opinion this is a great advert” which would be an opinion pure and simple and not an opinion presented as a fact.

Jeez !!

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama

Oh god no I don't think that at all I'm always second guessing myself, reevaluating my opinions. There's a quote from someone clever about being overly confident in your opinions I'll see if i can find it....

Aah yes it was Bertrand Russell:

russell-quote.jpg

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Sky brings out the trump xmas card advert .

As Spielberg ruled out an ET sequel 37 years ago this will have to do and the reunion is done beautifully.

I am sure Spielberg would have been heavily involved in this as ET is his baby, copyright and image and would have signed it off. I was not much into the BT adverts, I thought it cheapened the memories but this does it proud imo.

To see Henry Thomas and ET reunited is a very special moment. It shows a great reverance of the film

My love of this film has been on record for decades, it is a timeless classic and I approve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxm...WaMo71ZkEr6Z9BpDHYom_ADn0Wi0CrGEMKIrb31kPQkYg

So, it's an advert designed to make people buy something they don't necessarily want by exploiting peoples reminiscence's.... And you approve ? It's the usual Big Business exploitation.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Its a slick ad. But I speak as someone who was slightly repelled by the ET re-boot, when they introduced CGI to "enhance" some of the scenes. That film was part of my childhood - don't f*ck with it. Its just not necessary. It was perfect as it was.

I speak as someone who had the ET stickybook album. I also drew him, and sellotaped my drawing to my pencilcase.

And I vividly remember the ads, on TV and radio. You never had a CLUE what ET looked like, until you went to the cinema and saw him for yourself (that first brief flashlight scene when he's hiding in a bush). All you saw up until then was his "touch of God" arm on the movie poster. Those were amazing times to be a kid when the big films came out.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Its a slick ad. But I speak as someone who was slightly repelled by the ET re-boot, when they introduced CGI to "enhance" some of the scenes. That film was part of my childhood - don't f*ck with it. Its just not necessary. It was perfect as it was.

I speak as someone who had the ET stickybook album. I also drew him, and sellotaped my drawing to my pencilcase.

Same here. I actually managed to get an HD copy of the original without the CG added bits. The way they turned him into a hopping bunny rabbit at the beginning was total crap. And he was "cutified" to make him much less scary in that scene where he's hiding in the corn field and Elliot finds him. The "remastered" version was a completely pointless cash grab.

Edit: Oh and photoshopping the guns out and putting walkie-talkies in instead. In America of all places :facepalm:

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
My oh my!

I genuinely think I've only seen E.T two or three times in my life. It's not because I have any problem with the film. It's more a self preservation thing, as I know it will leave me in bits. I remember my brother taking me to see E.T at the old ABC in Brighton and we barely squeezed in. About 6-7 people after us the doors were closed as the place was full. I manfully (boyfully?) tried to hold back the tears as it played out. This ad is just lovely. It may be conjured up by a dead eyed ad man but who cares? Its beautifully done. Thanks to U.S for bringing it up.

I look forward to the festive 2020 Jaws ad. :smile:

Now I need to watch it on something larger than my phone. And then follow it up with the John Lewis ad. :cry:

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here