Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

E-Cigs

viscentaye

Jun 26, 2012
Moving to E-cigs won't help you quit altogether, and they aren't sold as a quitting aid. They are sold as "damage limitation" aids whereby you won't suffer from inhaling tar, tobacco and all sorts of other rubbish.

You are and still will be addicted to nicotine but nothing conclusive on long term impact of this - not dissimilar to being addicted to caffeine.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Moving to E-cigs won't help you quit altogether, and they aren't sold as a quitting aid. They are sold as "damage limitation" aids whereby you won't suffer from inhaling tar, tobacco and all sorts of other rubbish.

You are and still will be addicted to nicotine but nothing conclusive on long term impact of this - not dissimilar to being addicted to caffeine.
I found this out when I received my e-cig today and read at the back "NOT FOR SMOKING CESSATION" I really should have done my homework, but nonetheless, I'm gonna keep using it. It's not too bad, 16mg in regards to strength, so giving me a bit of a headache atm.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Bugger it. I'm going cold turkey from Sunday. The mindset is right so I will give 100% in trying to get through the challenging times ahead. Wish me luck :rolleyes:

viscentaye

Jun 26, 2012
I found this out when I received my e-cig today and read at the back "NOT FOR SMOKING CESSATION" I really should have done my homework, but nonetheless, I'm gonna keep using it. It's not too bad, 16mg in regards to strength, so giving me a bit of a headache atm.

Not sure if you have gone for e-lites brand, if so you can go for light cartridges as the regular ones can be strong.

Agree with previous post about effect fading after a day or so with the hit and vapour not being as noticeable - cost is an issue anyway but my motivation was harm reduction, especially with 4 kids to run after!

markw

Aug 28, 2009

You will soon get used to it, I started on 18 mg and now vape at 21 mg :smokin:

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Big test for me tonight, went out on the piss with a load of smokers for the first time in a couple of months since I have given up, the e-cig worked a treat, totally pissed at home now, wasn't tempted by the real thing. E-cigs are the way forward, get involved all those who want to give up !

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
Big test for me tonight, went out on the piss with a load of smokers for the first time in a couple of months since I have given up, the e-cig worked a treat, totally pissed at home now, wasn't tempted by the real thing. E-cigs are the way forward, get involved all those who want to give up !

Did you use your E-Cig as your primary quitting method though?

Last edited:

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
You lot are really making me think that I should join your club. I want to quit, and have loads of times without success, obviously!

My health isn't good at the moment, not due to smoking may I add. I am in the process of being tested for Hemochromotosis. A serious disease which is basically caused by too much iron in my blood. It's a genetic illness that can eventually cause cirrhosis of the liver in a similar way that alcohol does!

I am now in an appreciative state of mind that I need to do everything in my power to stop smoking. I just don't know how or where to start or how to finally succeed in achieving this? I have stopped drinking alcohol completely and am watching my diet carefully. This complete change in my lifestyle is challenging enough without adding any more stress to it!

I thought about starting a thread on this subject but I really don't want it to be a "look at me thread".. I am fairly at my wits end health wise but I appreciate that many people are far worse off than me. Just want some genuine advice from my NSC family please.

Any advice please guys n gals?

Stopped smoking years ago when i got a craving i ate a piece of fruit mostly granny smith apples.The clean tasting fruit seemed to remove the craving for the dirty cigarrette,it worked for me give it a try

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Stopped smoking years ago when i got a craving i ate a piece of fruit mostly granny smith apples.The clean tasting fruit seemed to remove the craving for the dirty cigarrette,it worked for me give it a try

I did try this once before and yes it did work for a while BUT it made my guts rot and I stank like something that lives in a zoo FFS :D

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Last ever day as a smoker TODAY! I will finally do this, this time, completely cold turkey!

spig100963

Mar 18, 2011
Have just finished the second day of watching the misses go, "cold turkey."
Bless her. Cigarettes are one shitty drug. I hope she cracks it. Her skin is looking clearer
already.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
received a reply to my email from Richard Hebberd today with reference to the use of e-cigs at the AMEX.
email reads....

' At the moment in line with most entertainment venues, we do not permit them. The reason is that they have been found to cause disputes with staff, sometimes deliberately engineered, and to act as cover for illegal smoking.

My own view is that the ban should stay but I’ll discuss this with my team on Monday.'

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I saw this on another site & I think it's worth sharing...

There's a line in a song that says "If I could turn back time". . . They're simple words, yet they had an intensely profound meaning to me as I struggled to rid myself of my forty-year addiction to cigarettes.

I spent my teenage years in the 1960's - a time when two fingers held up in the air meant "peace", a time when we challenged anyone in authority (especially our parents) and a time when the bravest of us experimented with "free love" and drugs.

My parents both smoked heavily, as did the vast majority of their friends. I'm not going to use that as an excuse to justify my smoking habit because I chose to smoke, so the consequences are mine and mine alone. No one put a gun to my head and forced me to smoke.

I can remember the sickening dizziness, nausea and dry retching that accompanied my first smoke almost as if it was yesterday. I can also remember asking myself why I would want to feel like that and answering that I was going to smoke because I could. I could do whatever I liked because I was a "flower child". I was thirteen years old. . .

Today I am a much wiser than that naive thirteen year-old little girl. Sadly, however, it has taken two heart attacks, congestive heart failure, a stroke and emphysema to make me see that, once the NicoDemon has you in his grip, he is not going to let go easily. I am 18 months into my quit and I know that, if I blow it and smoke again, I might as well just go and sign my own death certificate, dig my own grave and crawl in. Now I lay me down for keeps. . .

If I could turn back time, I would knock some sense into that stupid little girl. I would tell her about all the things she's going to miss later in life. I'd tie her to the bedpost until she woke up to the horrible damage she is preparing to do to herself. I would do these things because I loved her, because I want her to have a normal, happy life.

If I could turn back time, I wouldn't have been a virtual prisoner in my house, living on a disability pension that barely paid the bills, making no allowance for even the slightest "luxury". I wouldn't struggle for breath as I slowly walked from one room to another. I wouldn't have had to sit there feeling useless as I watched my precious husband try to juggle working, caring for me, shopping, cooking, cleaning, gardening and everything else that goes into maintaining a household - all the things that used to be my job.

If I could turn back time, I wouldn't have had to turn down invitations to parties and other functions only because I knew I wouldn't be able to climb the stairs. I wouldn't have had to time my showers so my husband was around to help dry me and dress me because I ran out of breath and strength, unable to take care of myself. I wouldn't have had to stare longingly at the swimming pool on a scorching hot day, wishing someone would come along, because my cardiologist has told me that my heart is too fragile to ever risk swimming alone.

If I could turn back time, I wouldn't have to swallow eighteen pills a day to keep me alive. I wouldn't have to live every minute of every day with the knowledge that my life has been considerably shortened by my own hand.

If I could turn back time, I would be able to pick up my precious grandchildren and walk or play with them, instead of having to sit back and wait for someone put them on my lap. I would be able to do all the things I took for granted before I let the NicoDemon mess up my life, things like walking in the forest, riding a bike, singing, driving, running in the wind for the sheer joy of it, browsing in the markets on a Sunday morning, gardening, going to the beach (the sand plays havoc with the wheels on my electric scooter). I would be truly alive instead of just existing.

If I could turn back time, I wouldn't have to sit here, telling my story to you. I sincerely hope that the reason you're reading this is because you have decided to quit smoking, too.

Please don't let this happen to you. Don't wait until it's too late for you, like it is for me. Because, you know, no matter how hard you want to - and, God, do I want to, you can't turn back time.

Crackpot

Jun 4, 2011
Upper North Street
Algie,thank you for posting that. I'll store it,and send to people as needed. It's well composed.

Reading all the above,it seems an easy leap to go from cigarettes to vapor,but harder to quit absolutely,which must be the objective. I quit smoking three years ago,it was destroying my health,by quitting outright one afternoon. And I feel so proud that I've got the tobacco companies out of my life forever. A victory of good over evil.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here